Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 01:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You say it will cost 25% VAT to pay for it. You don't know this, you just assume certain things. Especially a group of crooks in Washington skimming off the top. Who you think will be running UHC - the Mafia?

Your health system is creaking at the edges. Everybody knows it. So your answer is more of the same? Just keep flogging the American health care horse until it collapses. What you going to do then?

VAT in my country is not on all goods. So your 25% prediction on cost of living is not true. It depends what the US government decided to put VAT on. In England, there is no VAT on fresh foods. Cooked foods yes there is. But foods most people buy like meat, vegetables, fruit, and so on is zero rated for VAT.

You say a war will only fund UHC for a short period of time. OK then - how about a massive cut in money spent on your armed forces? I believe Trump has announced a $50 billion raise in cost. You think you need such massive sums spent in this way? Jesus, you could destroy the whole world many times over already. Don't you think it's a good idea to spend taxpayer money on something else than shiny new missiles, and war planes that cost billions? Don't give me the tripe there is no money for UHC in America.

Of course you pay your personal healthcare costs just fine. I never doubted it. How about the ones who can't? Don't tell me it can't be done. It can, and for less than what it costs now. A united health service, could negotiate cheaper drugs prices, and see the end of things like this.......A long video on you-tube explains how this man couldn't afford treatment, and was left in this state, until a charity for gawds sake, stepped in. He had to practically beg for help. Only in America huh?

1. I dont say VAT, because I disagree with a VAT, which is a "TAX on TOP of a TAX"(TM)(yes I trademarked it)

2. I would agree with the Fairtax, which is like a VAT, but it REPLACES all the other taxes

3. I would even try to figure out what percentage a VAT or the fairtax needs to be... but the COST of a singlepayer for the USA, where a full 1/3 of our people at FAT and OBESE, and we have over 100 million sickly people...….. the simple fact is to cover 330 million people with complete health coverage... would be about 6-7 trillion dollars annually

when the government revenue is under 4 trillion (and we the people are overtaxed already).... just where is the government going to get an additional 5-6 trillion??????? the magic money fairy???

Old 06-22-2018, 01:31 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Why stop at healthcare? Why doesn’t the government just give everyone free eye care, dental, 5 Ferrari’s, $100K minimum wage, mansion, private plane, and a yacht?

We’re Americans and our country owes us everything. It’s in the constitution. Life, liberty, and the entitled of free crap.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I've worked in the Department of Defense for a decade.
----snip for size----
  • Story 1 - needed 200 NiCu hex head countersunk screws. Standard SAE part, average cost at the time was ~7 cents per screw. Found cheapest vendor (local hardware store), submitted request. DENIED. I needed to submit request from approved vendor. Cheapest approved vendor was more than $2 per screw. So my $1.40 request for a standard SAE part shot to over $400 because I had to use a contracted, approved DoD vendor. That's a 28,000% price increase...because "approved vendor."
  • Story 2 - ship sends me a solid state circuit card to repair. Check board, figure out what part is cooked. Look up part in tech manual. Just lists component. All tech manual gives me is "capacitor." No capacitance and tolerance values, no part #, nothing, just the -||- symbol and word "capacitor." So I go rooting through every source material and tech manual I can find, I contact other repair shops, etc. Finally get on call with IBM tech support, since IBM makes the card. Turns out, all the cards used in all of the SONAR, Fire Control, weapons/nav, etc systems are licensed under proprietary contract. Only IBM can repair/refurbish that card, or send us a new one. I am not allowed to make that repair, nobody but IBM is. My cost of repair - round up to $2. IBM's quote to refurbish, let's round DOWN to $800. That's a 40,000% markup...because "proprietary contract."

---snip for size---
I hear ya brother... I see the same every day, as I work for the Dept of Army

these people wanting "government health care"... dont really want it, or wont want it when they see how bad our great government is at taking care of its people...I love my country, Have served faithfully for over 35 years.. but I know how bad our bureaucracy is at handling business

Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why stop at healthcare? Why doesn’t the government just give everyone free eye care, dental, 5 Ferrari’s, mansion, private plane, and a yacht?

We’re Americans and our country owes us everything. It’s in the constitution. Life, liberty, and the entitled of free crap
yep... they keep screaming that health insurance (not care btw) is a right and it should be free..... well the 2nd amendment IS a right, where is my free henry rifle???

Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
1. I dont say VAT, because I disagree with a VAT, which is a "TAX on TOP of a TAX"(TM)(yes I trademarked it)

2. I would agree with the Fairtax, which is like a VAT, but it REPLACES all the other taxes

3. I would even try to figure out what percentage a VAT or the fairtax needs to be... but the COST of a singlepayer for the USA, where a full 1/3 of our people at FAT and OBESE, and we have over 100 million sickly people...….. the simple fact is to cover 330 million people with complete health coverage... would be about 6-7 trillion dollars annually

when the government revenue is under 4 trillion (and we the people are overtaxed already).... just where is the government going to get an additional 5-6 trillion??????? the magic money fairy???
You got 100 million sickly people? Boy, you're in real trouble.........

You already spend more on health care than a UHC would cost! More per head than anywhere else in the world! Wake up!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why stop at healthcare? Why doesn’t the government just give everyone free eye care, dental, 5 Ferrari’s, $100K minimum wage, mansion, private plane, and a yacht?

We’re Americans and our country owes us everything. It’s in the constitution. Life, liberty, and the entitled of free crap.
Go for a lie down Rocky.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yep... they keep screaming that health insurance (not care btw) is a right and it should be free..... well the 2nd amendment IS a right, where is my free henry rifle???
You don't need free guns. They're cheap enough already.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You don't need free guns. They're cheap enough already.
and MY health care is even cheaper

annual doctor visit....less than $200..... that is what the doctor charges..... meanwhile I am stuck paying 4000/yr for an insurance I dont use

Henry Rifle about $800

Last edited by workingclasshero; 06-22-2018 at 01:54 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You got 100 million sickly people? Boy, you're in real trouble.........

You already spend more on health care than a UHC would cost! More per head than anywhere else in the world! Wake up!
uhc for 330 million will cost about 6-7 trillion dollars (which will increase year after year)

we dont have that type of government revenue

Old 06-22-2018, 01:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
I have been on Medicare for 8 years. And I've never had one problem with it. Never. And that includes lots of exams, tests, even a 3 day stay in the hospital. Not one issue.

It is surprisingly good health insurance. Hassle free also.

I have to admit I was more than skeptical when I first signed up for it. But seeing it up-close and using it over the years is believing in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies