Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 09:08 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times

Advertisements

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...front-of-kids/

this is what I'm talking about....and this is where it comes from....I believe the parents should also be suing the kids parents that bully.

I cannot even fathom acting like this in front of my child....

if we'd have acted like this years ago, we would have been arrested....these parents should be ashamed....in front of their kids?

This is where it all comes from....if they can't control themselves at a sports game or online discussing an issue? Sheesh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, exactly my point, if you were bullied on your job, that was by adults, right?

I rest my case....

it's being passed down from parents, and if you don't believe me, read some news feeds and see how nasty people are getting....

But it is not ever going to stop.

IMO believing that it will is actually ridiculous. People have always been nasty to each other - you just learn how to deal with it or avoid it. That is the issue - people are not teaching their kids how to deal with it or avoid it. They also are letting them be on social media too much.

You mentioned an autistic family member in the OP. I also have an autistic family member (a nephew). He used to be bullied at school. He's a sweetheart but is very big for his age and is very high functioning. His dad/my brother actually told him the same things our dad told us - that if they "bother" him too much, he should beat the crap out of them. The kids bothering him were mainstream kids with no disabilities. He beat the crap out of one of them a couple years ago and even was suspended for it, but since then he hasn't been bullied anymore.

He also is often told how much we adore him and he is very beloved in our family. We also place no limits on what he can accomplish. He wants to be an auto mechanic when he grows up and is already really good at fixing cars (does it with his dad) and I have no doubt that the kids who spoke ill of him and "bothered" him are going to work at McDonald's and he'll be a business owner - he is miles above them. You don't pay attention to or wallow in the pitiable behaviors of bullying kids. You handle them in person and warn them not to mess with you anymore.

As parents we need to give our kids the coping skills and permission to handle their business if needed.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:12 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Kids bully because they see their parents doing it and their parents see the President doing it. Anyone who denies that is delusional.
This.

Of course bullying has been going on forever, but now it has been enshrined into the national fabric by the man the OP and others voted into the WH.

People are easily influenced. If they see others get away with certain behaviors, there's no reason for them to abstain from the same behaviors, particularly when those bad behaviors are actually rewarded.

If you don't like a behavior, don't reinforce it in front of your kids, whether that means not screaming at the guy who cut you off while driving or voting for someone who called a POW a "loser."

If we want our kids to be nicer to each other, we need to stop admonishing those who advocate for civil discourse, otherwise known by too many as "PC culture."

When people believe that its wrong to not be allowed to call others whatever you want to call them, well, this horribly sad incident is the result.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:13 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
For once I can agree with you. There is a pervasive sickness in society that is now being amplified by our President, one of extreme narcissism, a shallowness and lack of concern for others that continues to be a reflection of our society.

You cannot be disgusted with bullying and cruelty and support Trump without being a raging hypocrite.
>>> Which was there years and years before our President and is being practiced against him by even worse politicos. And shallowness and narcissism and lack of concern has become a mandated platform for political candidates of both parties. Those that don't follow that path are pushed aside and never reach levels of importance or clout.
I too hope supporters of Bernie Sanders or Obama or the Clintons aren't hypocritical enough to rail against bullying. Or against children being harshly treated by government policy.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I feel terrible for the parents but I'm not buying anyone's crocodile tears here. Where were you folks when the Obama administration used the IRS to bully and intimidate the Tea Party? Where were you folks when the Obama administration used the ACA to bully and intimidate the Little Sister's of the Poor? Where were you folks when the Obama administration used title IX to bully and destroy the academic lives of innocent young men on college campuses?

Of course bullying isn't going away. We had eight years of Obama telling kids that bullying was good if it served Democrats political agenda.
Darrel Issa contacted the IRS and asked if the IRS had ever verified the tax exempt status of conservative 501C3 groups and which ones. He got the answer he was seeking so as to make a big to do about the crooked IRS. Talk about bullying. He did it in spades. The IRS did the same thing to liberal groups, but ol Darrel didn't ask which groups, just which conservative groups.

Years ago my kid was on a ball team. The parents made a rule. Any bad behavior from a parent would result in their kid not being able to play that day.

I have begun to think of very aggressive drivers as bullies.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
you said you blamed it on this administration, well, this administration has only been in the House for a year, so yeah, delusional....bullies have been happening since for certain, when I was a kid, but it surely wasn't as bad...

I don't believe the bold.

However, I do agree that bullying is not based on politics. Both conservatives and liberals bully. I do think Trump is a cyber-bully and is the first cyber-bullying President we've ever had (via Twitter).

But when you take the bait of a bully (i.e. liberals tripping out over everything he tweets) then you only empower them.

As I noted, you learn how to avoid a bully and if they get in your face or bother you too much, you beat the crap out of them. Politically, you can beat the crap out of them via voting.

Obama was bullied by the right. GW Bush was bullied by the left. Trump bullies everyone lol.

But bullying has always occurred and IMO it was actually worse in the past because it was more personal and not online. Again, if kids are not online, they won't be cyber bullied. I don't agree with suing parents for kids committing suicides because they were bullied by the kids of those parents. All the parents - the bullied child and the children bullying, should not have the kids online in middle school able to bully other kids or get their feelings hurt due to cyber harassment. Kids in this age group of the girl in the OP are very sensitive. I have a 9 year old. She will not have a smart phone or access to any social media app until she is in high school. Her brother only got access in the 10th grade (this past year). He never had any issues with bullying during middle school.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
I didn't, but not surprised....

but certainly proves my point.
How does it prove your point?

Your point was that this society is becoming brutal with its personal attacks. You cannot deny our name calling President who resorts to personal attacks constantly is not the biggest example of this.

I didn't say anything personal about you. I didn't name call or say anything but identify what is prevalent behaviour from our present President.

And it is predictable because that is our reality.

(oh and this has nothing to do with right/left or democrat/republican -- I don't believe the President's behaviour is because of his political ideology - -it's his lack of integrity, character, maturity).

Old 06-20-2018, 09:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
I will say -- I don't believe this behaviour is BECAUSE of the President. I believe he reinforces it with his behaviour.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,075,178 times
There have always been bullies and Eddie Haskells in the world. Years ago, even though they did it they knew the behavior was wrong.

IMO, it started getting rampant when Rush Limbaugh started on the radio. He made it ok.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:24 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There have always been bullies and Eddie Haskells in the world. Years ago, even though they did it they knew the behavior was wrong.

IMO, it started getting rampant when Rush Limbaugh started on the radio. He made it ok.
Lol...Rush gets blamed for a lot.

I was bullied all through grade school, and that predated Rush by 20 years. Also, the zero tolerance nonsense that lets bullies have helpless victims...Rush OPPOSES that. How exactly did an AM radio show aimed at 40+ year old conservatives "enable" bullying in grade/middle school, particularly when the host of said show thinks bullies should punched in the mouth?

Do you seriously take every lie Obama told to be carved in stone fact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies