Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I am the daughter of a man who was a KKK member. We would call him a white supremest/ nationalist today. His self esteem was based on a false sense of superiority.

You name it, he trashed it. There was no stopping him.

My sister and I realized early on that nastiness is a reflection of the speaker not the target. We are Teflon- coated.
thank goodness you realized it...I did to...when young, but most kids don't...they are impressionable...easily led astray....and want to be part of the in-crowd.

But, good for you....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
IDK maybe by making it not socially acceptable for instance. I posted my experience on refereeing little league and how abusive parents and parent coaches were the norm. This would have been the early 1990s. I tried standing up as the ref but got no parent support. There was a significant decline in suicide rates around the millenium. Perhaps the everyone gets a trophy crowd were on to something.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1586156/
My husband was a volunteer coach for girl's soccer in the mid - late 90's. Parents would show at our front door to rant. He ignored the parents and did it his way. The kids loved him.

In my current neck of the woods, parents must agree to have no contact with volunteer coaches and remain respectful at games or thir kid is out.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, it's easier said then done....

I've heard stories, of a young girl telling another, "you no good, if I were you, I'd kill myself". And the girl did so.

Not this one, but that's only one situation I read.

You can sound off any legal policies you want, but in the end, kids are in fact getting away with it.

Remember the shooting at a Florida School. During the first rally a female classmate stood up and said, the reason this kid went on a shooting spree is b/c of all of you bullying him. I'm not excusing what he did by any means, but, they pushed him to do it...they were physical with him, and mean, she stated that no one sat with him at lunch...but the media doesn't delve into that, no, all they want to do is get rid of guns....

I remember when I was in school, we had special classes in the school for special handicapped kids. Our football team got together and sent her invitations to the prom....she sat there all by herself...all night....

Awful
The Parkland school shooter began demonstrating hateful behaviors in middle school. He drew Nazi symbols on his school work. He was outspoken about Obama because of his race. He professed a hatered of Jews. He would disrupt classes with his rage.

He was harming animals. I would have kept my distance had I been a peer.

The school eventually transferred him to a special school for emotionally disturbed youths with the goal of eventually mainstreaming. He eventually returned to mainstream education and was more out of sorts than ever. He was eventually expelled.

Most afflicted, demonstrate symptoms of being on the Schitzophrenia Spectrum before age 18. Some as early as the onset of Puberty. Professionals rarely diagnose young teens because it is challenging to distinguish serious mental illness from emotional immaturity.

On another note, one of my former long time bosses was a Big Man on Campus in the early 70's in downstate Illinois. He would wax poetically about his fraternity that held an Annual Pig Party. Members competed for a prize by inviting the fattest or ugliest girl to the party. The girl could be a student or local. According to him, the girls were flattered by the attention.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 06-20-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I understand alot of things. One is the value of your posts.
Yeah -- alot -- not a word.

You (THINK) you understand a lot of things.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:57 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,439,943 times
Zero tolerance for violence at schools is a part of the problem. Kids are freely permitted to verbally harass others, but the second a child retaliates physically he/she gets kicked out of school.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Zero tolerance for violence at schools is a part of the problem. Kids are freely permitted to verbally harass others, but the second a child retaliates physically he/she gets kicked out of school.
The schools my kids have been in come down pretty hard on the verbal stuff.

I think it depends on the school

Old 06-20-2018, 11:10 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I said there had always been bullies, but Rush made it socially acceptable. IMO, he was a giant bully.
How would you know? You listened to his show? How would he make something socially acceptable when his audience was a tiny percentage of the population? What are you talking about?

Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

My daughter freshman in HS, a Junior anchor baby chick, threatened to kick my daughters ass... No one ever threatened my daughter again during HS. They just called he White girl.
I had to go explain, she did exactly what I taught her to do when threatened..... Eliminate the threat.
And she did and when on to become the most popular chick in school, as a Freshman. Paid a lawyer $500 to tell a juvenile Judge, to ****off, because of the mandatory government involved discipline.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

My daughter freshman in HS, a Junior anchor baby chick, threatened to kick my daughters ass... No one ever threatened my daughter again during HS. They just called her White girl.
I had to go explain, she did exactly what I taught her to do when threatened..... Eliminate the threat.
And she did and went on to become the most popular chick in school, as a Freshman. Paid a lawyer $500 to tell a juvenile Judge, to ****off, because of the mandatory government involved discipline.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 AM

33,300 posts, read 12,484,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Over protecting your kids and not teaching them how to deal with those antagonizing them....
This is where that dad, that is always playing around, kidding and jacking with the kids, gets them ready for the real world around them, with the effect of something so small, not getting the best of them.

My daughter hated it, when I broke out in my best Jagger..."You don't always get, what you want"
Was it bullying when she is screaming Stop, and I kept singing it?

When I was a kid, the first few times I mentioned something some other kid was doing that my mother thought was crazy, she'd say "If _______ told you to jump off a bridge, would you do it?"

The answer was....of course not.

Her response helped teach me not to have a herd mentality.

Around that same time as a kid, I also tried to pull the "But____'s mom is letting him _____" thing.

My mother would say "I don't care, I'm not _____'s mother, I'm your mother and you're not doing that.

I learned from that that she meant no the first time, and not to whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies