Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 07:24 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
That 'property' is only theirs because the wealthy have skewed every law, regulation, and social rule in their favor.

They had *better* share the wealth or at some point it will be taken from them by force.
You realize most business owners are not wealthy? And many make less than their highest paid employees

Old 06-21-2018, 07:27 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
I've never had less than 4 weeks of vacation (20 days PTO) + standard federal holidays in my entire working life, going back 30+ years. Always part of my negotiated compensation, never needed a law to help me negotiate.

I currently get 9 holidays and 5 weeks (200 hours) of PTO, and my employer does 3/4 day Fridays from Memorial Day until Labor Day.

Never needed government's help in arranging my fair compensation, and I work in the industry most renowned for offshoring, H1B infiltration, depressed wages, etc.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 AM

45,203 posts, read 26,414,151 times
My employees get a week paid vaca, a paid week of flex time and we close 4 hours early on Friday. All major holidays are paid as well. And Ive also helped employees financially when they get in a jam. Many business owners I have known throughout the years operate similarly. Cant run my business alone and turn over is expensive.
Its funny in these discussions people think every owner is a Walmart, GM, Verizon, Comcast, Apple, Home Depot...

Old 06-21-2018, 07:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
I understand that America isn’t Europe, Canada, Australia or New Zealand; but why can’t we mandate paid vacation/holidays/sick days (PTO) & paid parental leave? Those countries seems to do fine and their taxes are not higher than certain U.S. states not mandating that.

American workers will be happier, be more productive and overall better society. 5 weeks of paid vacation annually and 1 year parental leave is paradise.

An example, fast food worker in Scandinavia earns much more than typical fast food American worker and receives full benefits and workers rights!
Let's do the math here.

Walmart's profit margin is 3%. (Go verify this yourself.)

5 weeks of paid vacation is 10% of work time out of a year.

How does Walmart make any profit again?

Old 06-21-2018, 07:41 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It's like our healthcare system- in the U.S. we have more than enough resources to provide every single person with adequate healthcare. But we don't value quality of life. We care more that our billionaires can keep a few extra dollars.
Yep and we continue to battle each other over trivial things with R and D issues while they get wealthier and we do not grow at all..

Old 06-21-2018, 07:44 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You realize most business owners are not wealthy? And many make less than their highest paid employees
Sounds to me like they should go get a real job.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I've never had less than 4 weeks of vacation (20 days PTO) + standard federal holidays in my entire working life, going back 30+ years. Always part of my negotiated compensation, never needed a law to help me negotiate.

I currently get 9 holidays and 5 weeks (200 hours) of PTO, and my employer does 3/4 day Fridays from Memorial Day until Labor Day.

Never needed government's help in arranging my fair compensation, and I work in the industry most renowned for offshoring, H1B infiltration, depressed wages, etc.
Good for you.

That doesn't happen for the VAST majority of Americans.

Old 06-21-2018, 07:47 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Yep and we continue to battle each other over trivial things with R and D issues while they get wealthier and we do not grow at all..
Our border policies are directly related to both the wage issue and the social benefits issue.

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
I understand that America isn’t Europe, Canada, Australia or New Zealand; but why can’t we mandate paid vacation/holidays/sick days (PTO) & paid parental leave? Those countries seems to do fine and their taxes are not higher than certain U.S. states not mandating that.

American workers will be happier, be more productive and overall better society. 5 weeks of paid vacation annually and 1 year parental leave is paradise.

An example, fast food worker in Scandinavia earns much more than typical fast food American worker and receives full benefits and workers rights!
Please explain how that is morally acceptable to anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let's do the math here.

Walmart's profit margin is 3%. (Go verify this yourself.)

5 weeks of paid vacation is 10% of work time out of a year.

How does Walmart make any profit again?
When their competition is subject to the same rules, they'll work it out.

Or go bankrupt. I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.