Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 12:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times

Advertisements

Bring your own plastic utensils and plastic bags with you everywhere you go (they're not expensive) and stop crying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 12:07 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote from the OP's article:

"In interviews, it was found that reusable bags are seldom if ever washed and often used for multiple purposes. Large numbers of bacteria were found in almost all bags and coliform bacteria in half"

So you're going to blame the government for there being bacteria in bags that their users refuse to wash?

Old 06-21-2018, 12:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I do my bit to keep plastic out of land fills, I burn it.

Hey, with Pruitt slashing regs left and right maybe we could build a YUGE plastic burning center just upwind of Mar-A-Lago!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seattle's Ban on Plastic Straws and | Fortune

These plastic bans are very dangerous to the health and welfare of people. Plastic bans have been shown to spread disease and yet the liberals are so concerned about plastic in the ocean they feel the need to implement another ban.

I love plastic myself and can't imagine going out to eat and not having the option of plastic.

Wonder how many people will become sick because they eat with dirty utensils that aren't cleaned properly because of the high minimum wages have kitchen workers spread thin?

Dangerous plastic bag bans were responsible for deadly E-Coli outbreaks for instance.

https://www.the-american-interest.co...e-coli-deaths/

These plastic bans are very dangerous. Many people prefer a clean plastic fork that is protected by plastic over dirty utensils that likely were not cleaned properly and sit on in the open exposed to everyone who passes by germs.
Choose a better class of restaurant, and if you do not know where it's safe to eat, check your country's health department website.

BTW, you're more likely to contract food poisoning in your own kitchen than you are in a restaurant. Most people have horrible home kitchen sanitation habits and would be better off eating out even in the absence of individually-wrapped plastic utensils.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:36 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
My son is autistic. He says he can taste the metal from silverware and will only eat with plastic.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:36 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I have never personally seen "garbage island" so I can't say it's real, but even if real that does not mean it's all from the U.S. Irresponsible people throw plastic in the ocean. I have no problem with punishing irresponsible people for doing so.
I've never seen a lot of things. The Artic, Antartica, icebergs, the ocean floor. are they not real.

Where was it declared the island were USA made? It is trash from all the inhabitants of the earth.

I think the easiest and cheapest thing to do is pay for the disposal upfront. We live in a capitalist society. Let the user pay the whole cost. Why should I have to pay for someone else's carelessness?

Old 06-21-2018, 02:37 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Hey, with Pruitt slashing regs left and right maybe we could build a YUGE plastic burning center just upwind of Mar-A-Lago!
You'd need to plow down the mobil home park.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:45 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A bill was suggested in California that suggested amending the food handling code to make plastic straws by request only in sit-down restaurants. Conservatives - as always, when asked to actually conserve - completely lost it.
Is THAT what all the screaming was about? Have to ask for a straw? Good heavens, I thought the proposal called for possession of a straw to be punished by life in prison at least, or possibly even a public hanging.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:48 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not a request when you force a bill on others. Progressives as always throwing a fit when adults object to government running their lives.
Oh, come on. Is having to say, when out for a meal, "May I have a straw, please" really such a terrible violation of freedom? I love Chinese food, yet when I go out for it, I find I often must ask for chopsticks if I want them. It hasn't killed me yet.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There were no plastic utensils when America was great. We don't need them. China is taking over the world anyway and we will all be using wooden chopsticks in a few decades.
I also like you to say there were no illegals picking lettuce when America was great. I am not holding my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies