Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Have you seen pictures of the 2 plastic islands the size of Texas in the Pacific?

Before you condemn something as liberal nonsense check it out. Marine life is being killed due to plastic in the oceans.

A lot of stuff we use ends up in the ocean. The soap we use, the cosmetics, sunscreen, fiber. You name it. Sewage treatment plants cannot remove the microscopic stuff.

Does trying to adhere to the Bible admonition to be a good steward of the earth make me a liberal?
I have never personally seen "garbage island" so I can't say it's real, but even if real that does not mean it's all from the U.S. Irresponsible people throw plastic in the ocean. I have no problem with punishing irresponsible people for doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 10:34 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Reducing the one time use plastic will drastically cut down on the waste that ends up in our oceans and landfills. I don't understand why some people want to make that a left-right issue. It's a human issue, it's an issue that will be increasingly more important to our kids and grandkids.

Want to see how plastic straws in up inside the noses of sea turtles, watch this video of one going through the painful process of getting a straw removed.

https://youtu.be/VRiTABRQOjk

Old 06-21-2018, 10:36 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Plastic bag bans are just the newest liberal crusade to show they are being “progressive” and, of course, to collect money in taxes. There is nothing, nothing wrong with platic bags and utensils. They have talked about these plastic bag ban is where I live and, of course, it’s not really a ban. They just force businesses and ultimately consumers to pay a tax to use a plastic bag. It’s all BS and it’s bad for you. Plastic can be recycled or burned. No need to use anything else unless, of course, you want to.
From my travels, communities with plastic bag surcharges -- folks really seem to gravitate towards reusable bags.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I'm still thinking if more people ate at home regularly, this would not be such a huge issue. My cookware, dishes, and utensils are all more than twenty years old, and some of them are more than thirty. Surely, it's the same for most of you, too. I mean, maybe the stuff isn't as old, but I sure hope all of you have a set of utensils in your kitchen that you wash and reuse, right?

Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
I have never personally seen "garbage island" so I can't say it's real, but even if real that does not mean it's all from the U.S. Irresponsible people throw plastic in the ocean. I have no problem with punishing irresponsible people for doing so.
But when you throw your plastic in a bag...it goes to the dump -- it may be picked up by a bird, blow around and may end up in the ocean.

You don't know.

Banning is tough. I have a local fisherman I get all my fish from (I live on the east coast). He has a business and uses plastic bags for his fish. Well -- the town is banning plastic starting next year. Many of the alternative 'butcher' wrap today has a coating of plastic. Brown paper or newspaper and us bringing our own reusable coolers will be the way. But he is small enough to think of costs.

There will be an adjustment for all of us. But I'm sure we will be okay.

I get paper at the grocery store and use it for the recycling. I try to minimize plastic. But it is everywhere.

We use reusable straws or no straws.

We don't buy bottled water -- what a scam - talk about burning money -- lol. Buy a filter and use tap water and reusable bottles.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It's not a request when you force a bill on others. Progressives as always throwing a fit when adults object to government running their lives.
If the majority votes for elected officials who enact these policies, how it being forced?

Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seattle's Ban on Plastic Straws and | Fortune

These plastic bans are very dangerous to the health and welfare of people. Plastic bans have been shown to spread disease and yet the liberals are so concerned about plastic in the ocean they feel the need to implement another ban.

I love plastic myself and can't imagine going out to eat and not having the option of plastic.

Wonder how many people will become sick because they eat with dirty utensils that aren't cleaned properly because of the high minimum wages have kitchen workers spread thin?

Dangerous plastic bag bans were responsible for deadly E-Coli outbreaks for instance.

https://www.the-american-interest.co...e-coli-deaths/

These plastic bans are very dangerous. Many people prefer a clean plastic fork that is protected by plastic over dirty utensils that likely were not cleaned properly and sit on in the open exposed to everyone who passes by germs.
Well, may I suggest then that the next time you eat at a restaurant in Seattle, that you bring your own utensils.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 AM

1,323 posts, read 588,616 times
https://twitter.com/CNET/status/1007299125262671873

Old 06-21-2018, 11:57 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
PIt’s all BS and it’s bad for you. Plastic can be recycled or burned.
What's bad for you is inhaling toxic fumes from burning plastic. Didn't you learn anything in high school chemistry class?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I do my bit to keep plastic out of land fills, I burn it.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Does trying to adhere to the Bible admonition to be a good steward of the earth make me a liberal?
Ooh, excellent. After all, if it's in the Bible ...

Quote:
I have never personally seen "garbage island" so I can't say it's real,
I've never personally seen Greenland, or even South Dakota, but I know they're real.

Quote:
but even if real that does not mean it's all from the U.S. Irresponsible people throw plastic in the ocean. I have no problem with punishing irresponsible people for doing so.
Why don't you calculate how much plastic floating in the oceans and not rotting in landfills comes from the U.S. ... and then we can adjust any ban on plastic sporks accordingly, as well as come up with a plan on how you're going to "punish" all those "irresponsible people".

Old 06-21-2018, 11:59 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,085,674 times
OP...concur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies