Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Amazing all of the hate in this thread, but I would expect nothing less Moderator cut: -. They don't think anybody who isn't white, straight, cis, and Christian should even be allowed to exist let alone have equal rights and be treated with respect
The only hate being exhibited here is what you just wrote. Dreaming up a bunch of slurs, aiming them at people who aren't doing what you say, insulting them, etc.

As someone recently said, I would expect nothing less, from someone who doesn't have any real arguments or facts.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

If that doesn't send you screaming to the shower with handfuls of steel wool, nothing will.

Definitely agree with this.
The Crying Game comes to mind. This would be terribly rude and possibly dangerous for someone to do.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
We don't transition for romantic reasons. How the hell would dating a gay man or woman help my dysphoria? That doesn't even make sense. Also, being that I'm a lesbian, I would be dating a gay woman whether I transitioned or not.
I don’t know your dysphora. I don’t even know what that means. And I really don’t understand a man becoming a woman and being a lesbian. Or are you a female to male transgender?

Honestly I wasn’t trying to be mean. I just don’t understand this stuff, at all.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:52 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nobody is asking you to have sex with them but rather to just treat them with the same consideration you should anyone else.

Your entire starting premise is a giant strawman argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes -- accepting and tolerating doesn't mean you have to date or marry them.

YIKES --
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
We can all be accepting and kind while not necessarily wanting to date a trans person.

Nothing huge there.

You completely ignore the article linked to in the OP from a leading LGBT magazine criticizing people for not wanting to date trannies?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:50 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
The top part of my post was a response to the OP, not you.

But you're also misunderstanding my post, the definition of discriminate when it comes to the study, and the purpose of the study itself.

The study is not trying to get anyone to do anything. The purpose of the study was to see if people were willing to date trans people. The overwhelming response was that, no, non trans people do not want to date trans people. The use of the word 'discriminate' in the study is not the same as the way we use 'discriminate' here. It is just alluding to a difference, without any moral or societal value.

Who do you think is going to start forcing the 98% of people opposed to dating trans people to start dating them?

LOL. What surprises me is that straight men would date trans people at almost double the rate than straight women would.

"Virtually all heterosexuals excluded trans folks from their dating pool: only 1.8% of straight women and 3.3% of straight men chose a trans person of either binary gender. But most non-heterosexuals weren’t down for dating a trans person either, with only 11.5% of gay men and 29% of lesbians being trans-inclusive in their dating preferences.
sorry. I am not misunderstanding the study. The paper itself provides the context. the context absolutely is the basic discrimination Trans people face on a daily bases. That is a direct quote from the study.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:39 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
sorry. I am not misunderstanding the study. The paper itself provides the context. the context absolutely is the basic discrimination Trans people face on a daily bases. That is a direct quote from the study.
You were right, and I was wrong (I don't think we see that very often on here).

The authors of the study should have just stuck to the facts.
But when 98% of the population feels a certain way about it, I don't think we're going to see any of the outcomes that some fear-mongers are pushing.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:20 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

What's "cis" person? A silly name for a normal person who doesn't go around trying to pretend he's not his medical gender?

From what I've been able to gather...that's pretty much it.

But I gotta admit...I find the whole "57 genders" thing (leaving aside the fact that "gender" is actually a grammatical, not a medical or psychological construct) quite baffling.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:40 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
sorry. I am not misunderstanding the study. The paper itself provides the context. the context absolutely is the basic discrimination Trans people face on a daily bases.
They'll just have to deal with it, because no one is obligated to validate their differently twisted views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Gender identification is not the same thing as sexual orientation. Your claim that it's just "a bizarre form of homosexuality" is absurd.
Men dressed up as women trying to pick up other men in a bar is homosexuality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
So far, to my knowledge, only one trans person has posted here, and she likes other women, not men. That kind of blows your argument all to hell.
A statistical sample of one is neither statistical nor relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Nobody is asking straight cis people to date trans people. Everyone has their own sexual preferences. Trans people are only asking for equal rights and respect.
Then what was the purpose of the study?

98% of the men and women respondents are not homosexual and are not going to date a man dressed as a woman or woman dressed as a man -- which is basically putting lip-stick on a pig.

The fact that normal men and women refuse to date transgenders is neither a denial of equal rights nor a display of disrespect, it's simply common sense.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:44 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Nobody is asking you to have sex with them but rather to just treat them with the same consideration you should anyone else.

Your entire starting premise is a giant strawman argument.
Yes we should all be nice to transgenders but the survey was asking about dating, not just being nice. It is totally unreasonable for a transgender woman with male genitalia to expect straight men to date her.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're overlooking what the survey claims to study:

"This is the first study to ever attempt to quantify the extent of trans discrimination when it comes to romantic and sexual relationships."

If we want to define it as trans discrimination when a heterosexual male or female won't consider choosing a trans male or female for a romantic or sexual relationship, I give up on the word 'discrimination.'
Yes it seems they think it to be discriminatory for straight men to expect their sexual partners to have vaginas and straight women to expect their sexual partners to have a penis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies