Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 09:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The guv is making decisions for restaurant owners and making decisions for what you read i.e. censorship

I don't know why the government would decide that a child cannot order a martini with lunch either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 09:02 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I don't know why the government would decide that a child cannot order a martini with lunch either!
I dont either. Absent a law would let your children order one?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:07 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Actually, and I will say many as there could be exceptions, a parent can serve their own kids alcohol legally.

Under Ohio law, children under the age of 21 may drink alcoholic beverages while under the supervision of their parents.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-l...y-in-ohio.html

Just the first example I found.

Then to note, the government is NOT telling a kid they can not have a Coke. They can have as many as they want. Free refills and all.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:12 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A few thousand kids? -- Proof, please! The issue itself wasn't noticed until a few years ago. .
In the first place, I never said a few thousand a year or a month or a decade so I have nothing to prove to you, but 2.5% of kids in the US are allergic to peanuts, and kids do die from food allergies every year.

Many of those kids have a severe allergy and their parents have to ensure that the kids don't eat foods containing peanuts or cooked in peanut oil. Take those warnings away and you can make a reasonable assumption that deaths from food allergies will increase.

https://acaai.org/news/new-study-sug...t-allergy-2010

But let me ask you this, let's say that labeling saves 2 lives a year, does that justify eliminating it?

Old 06-22-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well this isnt a warning its a forced omission. And yes it is an interference with the property rights of the affected business, but I also don't want bureaucrats determining what I see or read. Are you unable to make decisions for yourself or grandchildren? Who is in charge in your life?
I think it might be tough for a parent to test every prepared food product that they give their children for the presence of peanuts, don't you? But it's not just about labeling foods with peanuts, FDA requires listing several food allergens on food products and lists the reasoning behind that in their regulations

Quote:
SEC. 202. FINDINGS.
21 USC 343 note.

Congress finds that--

(1) it is estimated that--(A) approximately 2 percent of adults and about 5 percent of infants and young children in the United States suffer from food allergies; and(B) each year, roughly 30,000 individuals require emergency room treatment and 150 individuals die because of allergic reactions to food;
(2)(A) eight major foods or food groups--milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans-- account for 90 percent of food allergies;(B) at present, there is no cure for food allergies; and(C) a food allergic consumer must avoid the food to which the consumer is allergic;
(3)(A) in a review of the foods of randomly selected manufacturers of baked goods, ice cream, and candy in Minnesota and Wisconsin in 1999, the Food and Drug Administration found that 25 percent of sampled foods failed to list peanuts or eggs as ingredients on the food labels; and(B) nationally, the number of recalls because of unlabeled allergens rose to 121 in 2000 from about 35 a decade earlier;(4) a recent study shows that many parents of children with a food allergy were unable to correctly identify in each of several food labels the ingredients derived from major food allergens;
(5)(A) ingredients in foods must be listed by their ``common or usual name'';(B) in some cases, the common or usual name of an ingredient may be unfamiliar to consumers, and many consumers may not realize the ingredient is derived from, or contains, a major food allergen;
https://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceReg.../ucm106187.htm

In other words the consumer's right to know what's in the food that they consume trumps your libertarian ideology

Old 06-22-2018, 09:39 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In the first place, I never said a few thousand a year or a month or a decade so I have nothing to prove to you, but 2.5% of kids in the US are allergic to peanuts, and kids do die from food allergies every year.

Many of those kids have a severe allergy and their parents have to ensure that the kids don't eat foods containing peanuts or cooked in peanut oil. Take those warnings away and you can make a reasonable assumption that deaths from food allergies will increase.

https://acaai.org/news/new-study-sug...t-allergy-2010

But let me ask you this, let's say that labeling saves 2 lives a year, does that justify eliminating it?
Given our increasingly liability- and lawsuit-conscious society, the problem will resolve itself, as the restauranteurs post notices or modify their menus -- without another layer of bureaucracy (something the nanny-staters want because a no-work job in the "dietary police" seems more desirable than the low-potential retail jobs to which an open market is likely to limit them).

Old 06-22-2018, 09:43 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Actually, and I will say many as there could be exceptions, a parent can serve their own kids alcohol legally.

Under Ohio law, children under the age of 21 may drink alcoholic beverages while under the supervision of their parents.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/ohio-l...y-in-ohio.html

Just the first example I found.

Then to note, the government is NOT telling a kid they can not have a Coke. They can have as many as they want. Free refills and all.
Actually my comment was meant to be satiric not serious.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Actually my comment was meant to be satiric not serious.
Thanks for setting my argument up for me.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Given our increasingly liability- and lawsuit-conscious society, the problem will resolve itself, as the restauranteurs post notices or modify their menus -- without another layer of bureaucracy (something the nanny-staters want because a no-work job in the "dietary police" seems more desirable than the low-potential retail jobs to which an open market is likely to limit them).
Tell me that if you end up with a loved one with a food allergy, or if your health premiums keep going up because of increasing obesity. Labeling does not get in the way of your right to kill yourself, it simply provides you with the information you need to make a rational choice.

Not listing soda on a kids menu but allowing kids to order it and drink it is not a usurpation of their rights in any way, shape or form. Most of the restaurants I go to have a separate wine list, and many times I have to ask for it - shouldn't it be my 'right' to have wine listed on the regular menu, by not including wine on the regular menu are they trying to interfere with my right to drink wine

Old 06-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
we just went from taking soda off of a kids menu to killing retail jobs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies