Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 09:24 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,114,707 times

Advertisements

To other lefties:

Just like drug cartels WANT to keep the war on drugs illegal, violent criminals WANT their victims to be unarmed. A violent robber is not going to obey a gun control law, get real.

Stop kissing illegals' asses. You complain about Americans being in poverty, and then want to encourage a flood of labor supply (reducing job vacancies and wages) and increase the strain on social services? It doesn't make any sense.

For God's sake, knock it off with all the whining about PC nonsense. There are too many actual problems in this country to throw tantrums over first world problems like bakeries not baking cakes for the LGBTQABCeasyas123 community.

LET conservatives SPEAK. Everyone should be able to express their opinions without breaking out the pitchforks.

Stop insulting Trump supporters just for voting for him. You don't know their reasons, and they may have much different lives and priorities and perspectives you've never considered, and likely have valid reasons for supporting him. Most Trump supporters are not racists. Throwing that word around at everything lessens the weight of it.

If I sound a little testy, my apologies. The hot weather and lack of AC makes me a bit irritable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM

37,937 posts, read 17,809,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
5) Libertarians ignore that the privatization of government functions has historically produced tyranny. Feudalism,
Why bother when you make up stuff like this. Privatization means choices. The opposite of tyranny.

The fight is the progressive right vs the conservative right. How much Federal government do you want.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:31 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,734,006 times
I don't have a side, but I'll critique POTUS Trump. His main weakness, if he has one, is his indefatigable work ethic.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 PM

1,057 posts, read 865,817 times
Quote:
Many conservatives oppose immigration. I think your assertion is glib.
How much is many? No one complains about legal immigration except for groups like the KKK.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,736,999 times
Quote:
Many people compartmentalize by demanding the state be liberal and limited, while claiming the family as the purview of religion. Conveniently this means that the people above you (government) are restrained while the people under you (wife and children) are controlled.

More charitably, neither system has all the answers so holding both in your head at the same time is better than going whole hog for one or the other.
So Jordan Peterson over Sam Harris or William Lane Craig?

Quote:
Politically the alliance between religious traditionalists and classical liberals makes perfect sense from a common enemy perspective.
There is hardly a shred of religiosity left in me beyond a nagging suspicion that there is intelligent design in the universe. But having grown up in a loving Christian traditionalist family I can see the value in that worldview and feel no hostility towards it. And I can also easily recognize the authoritarian, quasi-religious nature of the left. All in all, I'd much rather align with the Christians.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:56 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,484,702 times
Don’t have a side one is just as courrpt as the other. The right tends to be more up front about it and the left is a bit more sneaky. Either side will ********* over just as quickly as the other will.

IMO, the biggest differences I see are that the right loves to use religion/God as a way to get into office and use it to stay there. In the end one side is just as bad as the other and 99.9% know this yet don’t give a damn.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,308,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Don’t have a side one is just as courrpt as the other. The right tends to be more up front about it and the left is a bit more sneaky. Either side will ********* over just as quickly as the other will.

IMO, the biggest differences I see are that the right loves to use religion/God as a way to get into office and use it to stay there. In the end one side is just as bad as the other and 99.9% know this yet don’t give a damn.
I always wanted to be in the 1% and now I'm in the 0.1%!!!!!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,227,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
How much is many? No one complains about legal immigration except for groups like the KKK.
This is not true. The RAISE act proposed by Republican senators would halve legal immigration. And Stephen Miller is a very influential person with Trump's ear who wants to reduce legal immigration.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,227,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So Jordan Peterson over Sam Harris or William Lane Craig?

There is hardly a shred of religiosity left in me beyond a nagging suspicion that there is intelligent design in the universe. But having grown up in a loving Christian traditionalist family I can see the value in that worldview and feel no hostility towards it. And I can also easily recognize the authoritarian, quasi-religious nature of the left. All in all, I'd much rather align with the Christians.
I have never actually listened to or read Jordan Peterson. I think Sam Harris is too selective with his skepticism, and he has a lot of the blind spots that militant atheists have about secular ideologies as religions. I have never heard of William Lane Craig but he appears to be a Christian apologist, which is a tenuous position.

If you are asking whether I would side with Peterson as being in neither the camp of Harris or Craig, then I would agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies