Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Offer people $10,000 when they turn 21 to get sterilized. People who take the money will be two types:

1. People who should NEVER have kids in the first place
2. People who don't want kids anyways
And who is going to decide who should never have kids, YOU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 01:59 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Because it was a 'shame' brought on to the rest of the family for their daughter to have a child out of wedlock.

Society has changed, evolved to the point of, we don't give a chit, anymore.

How's is that working out ... ?
You celebrate a time in history when families cared more about a bunch of busybodies they sat next to in church than they did their own child? Thank God most of us have evolved past that. And some of those girls who I knew might not have gotten pregnant if their parents hadn't considered that sex education was some kind of churchy no-no

Old 06-25-2018, 07:01 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Are you forgetting about after pains when the uterus is still shrinking back down? I certainly needed painkillers after my vaginal birth (less than 5 months ago so the memory is fresh) because the after pains were horrendous, I actually needed gas and air for a few hours after I gave birth and then regular paracetemol and occasional tramadol for the after pains. Plus of course the pain in the whole crotch area is really bad for the first few days afterwards. I know I forgot about it from my first birth but my second is recent enough for me to remember just how painful it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I had two kids and never had any severe pain. I had an episiotomy and that was painful for awhile but no "after pains".
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I did have afterpains after my second and third were born, but I was nursing, so no painkillers, not even OTC. Certainly not opioids.
What has to be remembered with so much (and a lot discussed on CD) is that people are not identical and in many instances, can experience things differently.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:16 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Liberals have been treating children and parenthood as a joke since the early 70s and now there is a generation of children that will be growing up in foster homes.
Oh, good grief. Got any stats that it's only "liberals" who are having babies and getting addicted to heroin?

Quote:
Unlike former generations that had family-values
Whose family? Mine? Yours? The guy down the street?
Quote:
there is all of the sudden a massive amount of females who are having babies and all of the sudden and out of blue they decide parenting isn't for them so they just send their children to foster homes so they can have a vacation from parenthood and form a new relationship and maybe have another baby.
Is that how you think kids end up in foster care? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Quote:
This increase in foster care didn't start until around the time Obamacare was implemented. So one can't help but conclude that codependent females are forming relationships with men in treatment and having babies and relapsing.
Neither of the links you provided say anything of the sort. The only person who "can't help but conclude ... " is someone with no ability to recognize a fallacy of logic even if s/he trips over it.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:51 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Why do you suppose there is an epidemic of males impregnating females when these males have no i tention of caring for the offspring they father.
Bingo.

With a lack of responsibility and not having it instructed (or not having it pounded into boys' heads) how serious it is, we see the outcome. There must be some parents who are realistic and open to discussing Birth Control and responsibility, but those who don't are contributing to the problem, refusing to face reality and likely raise boys who will create a situation to say "Whoops..sorry", with no more to do with it.

I have felt that it would be most important to have classes with separate discussions for boys and girls, besides as a group, addressing the different reasons one becomes involved sexually, etc. I am unsure what may be taught these days, hearing how some parents apparently refuse to have their kids instructed about, the same ones being against abortion. So this is one aspect leading to forced births and (possibly) marriages, that kids are unprepared for and do not make the decisions about, then that can lead to negative circumstances down the road.

I have thought, that if only this was reversed, that one would need to go to great efforts to create pregnancy instead of preventing it, would be better. (Yet, there would still be disease transmitted by some refusing to use protection and be other issues revolving around sexual involvement). ((Sigh))

Old 06-25-2018, 08:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
And who is going to decide who should never have kids, YOU?
that's what liberals want

liberals want CONTROL of your every move, thought, and gene

Old 06-25-2018, 08:59 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Because it was a 'shame' brought on to the rest of the family for their daughter to have a child out of wedlock.

Society has changed, evolved to the point of, we don't give a chit, anymore.

How's is that working out ... ?
Quote:
You celebrate a time in history when families cared more about a bunch of busybodies they sat next to in church than they did their own child? Thank God most of us have evolved past that. And some of those girls who I knew might not have gotten pregnant if their parents hadn't considered that sex education was some kind of churchy no-no
My mother came to me and said, 'we need to have a talk'. I knew what she meant. I said, 'sister (omitting name in post) has already explained everything.' She said, 'good, cause I wasn't looking forward to it'.

I celebrate a time when sex education was taught in the home. I celebrate a time when parents were respected at the schools, because they had earned it by being parents.

My parents did care about what other people thought. Why, was beyond me. Thus the generation divide. However, that wasn't the reason they tried to do right by us and teach us right. Now what a child does with that teaching when they become an adult, is up to them. A person is going to learn one way or another about life. It's easier on the child if they learn it in the home while growing up.

Not everyone's life is the same when it comes to families and I do understand what you're saying above. Not every parent thought they should take the time to sit down and tell their children about the 'birds and the bees', but one still had to respect their decisions, right or wrong, they were the decision makers of their homes.

Society steps in and say, we're going to make it our business and teach sex education in the schools. So now we have disrespect of parents rights and it's been steadily going down hill ... Rather than respect the right of an individual (parent) to solve their problems their own way, society steps in, makes it their business; blames the parent for the problem; then say they will solve the problem for them.

Teenagers still get pregnant.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 PM

Quote:
... wow, okay ... imagination and creativity is not every ones fortitude and shooting messengers gives credence to ignoring the message, that doesn't fit in one's wheel house.

A human being is made up of three things ... a mind, a body and a spirit. In order to maintain a healthy life and a healthy outlook on life, those three key elements, must stay in balance. If one becomes off balance, the other two will have to pick up the slack ... in order to regain balance in any one of those three areas, people will turn to many times alternative unhealthy measures. Opioids, being one.

I know it may be suggestive to many that a pathway off opioids may be found in a spiritual quest ... and that the void may lay in the lack of a spiritual sense, but to dismiss it as biased shows a lack of understanding of the human animal.

However, I do understand that is the way of the world's society these days. Thus (imo) the reason we find ourselves more challenged more overwhelmed, than people did in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Very often in recovery spirituality, not necessarily religion, is very helpful. I have a friend who credits the spirit and mind balance as well as Christ for her continued sobriety. It helps her to get through each day.

I think there is something to what you say. We have a lot thrown at us these days and many people aren't equipped to deal with troubles and turn to drugs, or cant resist the mind numbness they get from drugs.
I know there are times when I want more than 'calgon' to take me away ...
Like your friend though it is in those times that I find that if I can strengthen my spirit I can endure anything.

People are as different as the grains of sand on a beach. Some people can handle anything thrown at them, in fact the more stressful the situations seems, the more they seem to thrive and rise above it. (I envy those folks) Some are moderate and others the least little thing can send them over the edge ...

Addiction to drugs has been with us for eons. First Lady Betty Ford established a center for drug dependents in '82.
Quote:
Asked what part of treatment patients found most difficult, Mr. Wilkerson replied: ''The spiritual side: to get to the point of realizing I need to depend on somebody or something else - I can't do this alone.''

Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
My mother came to me and said, 'we need to have a talk'. I knew what she meant. I said, 'sister (omitting name in post) has already explained everything.' She said, 'good, cause I wasn't looking forward to it'.

I celebrate a time when sex education was taught in the home. I celebrate a time when parents were respected at the schools, because they had earned it by being parents.

My parents did care about what other people thought. Why, was beyond me. Thus the generation divide. However, that wasn't the reason they tried to do right by us and teach us right. Now what a child does with that teaching when they become an adult, is up to them. A person is going to learn one way or another about life. It's easier on the child if they learn it in the home while growing up.

Not everyone's life is the same when it comes to families and I do understand what you're saying above. Not every parent thought they should take the time to sit down and tell their children about the 'birds and the bees', but one still had to respect their decisions, right or wrong, they were the decision makers of their homes.

Society steps in and say, we're going to make it our business and teach sex education in the schools. So now we have disrespect of parents rights and it's been steadily going down hill ... Rather than respect the right of an individual (parent) to solve their problems their own way, society steps in, makes it their business; blames the parent for the problem; then say they will solve the problem for them.

Teenagers still get pregnant.
My school started teaching comprehensive sex ed around grade 6 or so.

Damn good thing too, because when I asked my parents how babies were made the year prior, they told me to just go on the internet and search for "sex"...yes, spelling it out.

Fortunately these were the days of dial-up, and my mother immediately got a long phone call right after (resulting in me forgetting about it), or I would've learned more than I needed to...

Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My school started teaching comprehensive sex ed around grade 6 or so.

Damn good thing too, because when I asked my parents how babies were made the year prior, they told me to just go on the internet and search for "sex"...yes, spelling it out.

Fortunately these were the days of dial-up, and my mother immediately got a long phone call right after (resulting in me forgetting about it), or I would've learned more than I needed to...
Before the day a computer was even thought about ...
6th grade, yes ... oh gees what year for me ... 1967. The girls were taken to see a video, boys not allowed.
I think that was the day ... (don't recall really) that I may have went, sister? What was that all about?

Still though, those were the days the word respect, carried weight a long with a person standing by their principles and government respected the individual rights more so than they do today. Society declared a wrong, creates a need and the government comes in, reduces rights, regulates more and no one seems to be aware any thing has changed.

PS: It just keeps getting crazier ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies