Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,646 posts, read 16,133,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly.
Didn’t that veteran who was held in Mexico on gun charges claim that he had taken a wrong turn on the highway, where there are signs?
And didn’t lots of people defend his “mistake?”

The young woman should be given the same benefit of the doubt.
Particularly since the area isn’t clearly marked.
Yeah, two weeks in a us facility vs nearly two years in a Mexican hole.. ok Perhaps he wasn’t brown enough for the left to give a rats ass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:11 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Stop the presses, I agree with you!

The border is not clearly marked there, and everyone who is being so hard on this young woman should stop for a moment and think about it. It's pretty easy to make a mistake like this. Ever take a wrong turn while driving in an unfamiliar place, and end up somewhere you didn't intend to go? It seems like it would have been quite simple to verify her story without all this mess.
A soldier did at the Mexican border and ended up in a Mexican prison for quite a long time until trump got him out. Obama did nothing.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:16 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I did not read the article so I have no idea what race she is. Still don't. I stand by my comment. She had no ID. She has to be identified. Her not being white does not exempt her from the law.

Where in the law does it say she has to be imprisoned for two weeks? It was an overzealous and irresponsible response by U.S. officials. She should have been held for no more than 3 or 4 hours, once they ascertained she's a French woman out for a jog and she crossed an unmarked border.

Last edited by Elliott_CA; 06-23-2018 at 08:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 08:19 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
According to the article, she was held in US custody because her mother couldn’t prove that she belonged in Canada either. In other words, both countries treated her like the hot potato her irresponsibility made her into.

The girl and her mother are as dumb as the stumps that dot the beach she was caught on.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:21 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Yeah, two weeks in a us facility vs nearly two years in a Mexican hole.. ok Perhaps he wasn’t brown enough for the left to give a rats ass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
A soldier did at the Mexican border and ended up in a Mexican prison for quite a long time until trump got him out. Obama did nothing.
Wrong and wrong.

Trump was President in 2014? Nope. That's when Mr. Tahmooressi spent his 7 months (not nearly 2 years) in a Mexican jail. He was released October 31, 2014. Trump tweeted, that's it, and the family spokesman said that they felt the tweets may have actually delayed his release.

Quote:
“The wave of anti-Mexico populism that sprung up on the U.S. side of the border over this case was very much not helpful. Whether it actually prolonged his confinement is unknowable,” said Jonathan Franks, who worked as the Tahmooressi family spokesman during the ordeal. “Getting people fired up for the sake of it isn’t strategically effective—one needs to get people fired up around a message that furthers the goal—those finer points of strategic communications seem utterly lost on Trump.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-do...iled-in-mexico

And he wasn't arrested for inadvertently crossing the border, he was arrested for illegally bringing guns into Mexico.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
When did we become Iran?

I cannot believe there are people defending this type of fascist treatment in the USA as ok.

The US can now be added to one of 'those' countries in Locked Up Abroad--the creepy kind you don't want do accidentally do something wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...border-mexico/

Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Oh, stop it.
Y’all were defending him from Day 1.

Because those enormous signs on the highway were just not clear enough or something.

And because guns.

This young woman was jogging and was carrying nothing.
Yeah, a real security threat there.

I have a no issue with border patrol detaining her long enough to prove identity.
But two weeks?

Ridiculous.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
When did we become Iran?

I cannot believe there are people defending this type of fascist treatment in the USA as ok.

The US can now be added to one of 'those' countries in Locked Up Abroad--the creepy kind you don't want do accidentally do something wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...border-mexico/
What is fascism and how does it relate to what happened here?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What is fascism and how does it relate to what happened here?
Good question, that these people are unable to answer! As usual, they hear a term being used by Rachel Maddow and simply repeat the talking points. The kicker is that they think of themselves as 'thinkers', when in fact, there is very little thinking going on.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
What evidence is there that she is "French?" They threw that in there to break the narrative. My mother would produce my papers in an hour, unless I didn't have any. There is a LOT that we don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies