Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 04:34 PM

18,497 posts, read 15,404,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Sorry, but by the standards established by lefties during the Perot campaign, it clearly is racist. You have to prove that it's not, which can't be done since you can't prove a negative, especially when it would require mental telepathy.

I know it seems crazy, but don't you agree that we should adhere to these established lefty standards? In fact, in the case of Perot, it was the NAACP that made the allegation of racism. Now if you're going to go back on that one, it makes you a double raaaaaacist
That means NOTHING in Canada. Most probably wouldn't even know who Perot is. Your lefty talk is also meaningless in Canada.

The term is NOT racist in the context BruSan used it in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 04:40 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,126,866 times
Looks like many canadians that work in the US are even getting turned away at the border.

https://www.npr.org/2017/03/29/52192...er-checkpoints

I wonder when we will see the news stories of Caucasian canadians walking over the line and being subject to the same vigilant BP tactics. I couldnt find them but maybe my googling skills are lacking, maybe someone could help.

Or better yet, two different ethnicities cross the border and see who gets detained for longer. That would make a great video.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:12 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,141,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah you did that alright but added in all that nonsense about it being Canada's laws preventing her swift return when you know that's utter bullcrap!

I posted an example of the reverse situation happening and showing how Canada deals with American interlopers who cross by accident and you completely ignored that to carry on with this nonsense of Canada Border Agents refusing to accept her had they simply taken her to their entry office.

See that's where you're categorically going off the rails. Had they done the humane thing and listened to her story, and checked her phone records, they could have easily verified for themselves her story being accurate. Had they taken her to the Canada office immediately to check her story, the Canadian agents would have done the very same thing, checked her cel-phone and called her mother to bring her passport down to them, et-voila all sorted.

You're making up a story to suit your agenda it was Canada's rules preventing American border agents using their freak'n brains instead of their MAGA hormones.
Nope. She was taken to Tacoma and checked against various databases. IAFIS comes to mind among others. Then the French consulate notified. Per policy. She was allowed communication with them. She was allowed to contact her mother who brought her passport however CBSA is notorious for not stamping passports. I travel in my plane several times a year to Halifax but have only one stamp in my passport. So before Canada would take her they want to see if she had made entry legally to Canada. That’s where the PNR search comes in handy. French people do not need a visa to enter Canada. So you can claim all you want about your vast knowledge but I have actually done the job and 90% of you are the ones full of pure crap.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM

32,910 posts, read 12,203,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They are. Check the map links.

Out of curiousity, I google mapped the location and looked at street view and sat views. This isn't a desolate beach far from any facilities. It looks like I-5 runs about 100-200 feet from the beach south of the border line. There is a big white monument (Peace Arch) with a US flag and Canadian flag. From the highway next to the monument you can see the beach so you should be able to see the flags easily from the beach. There are few trees so you should be able to see huge US Customs compound that are about 1000 feet south of the border. This encounter likely occurred with unassisted view of those in the buildings. Hard for me to imagine you are jogging along a beach with dense trees on the left and suddenly it all opens up with all this in view and not know it's some kind of checkpoint.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0012.../data=!3m1!1e3

That said, it's likely there are no markings on the beach except maybe a monument marker. You can street view some neighborhoods not far from the beach where you have a road with houses on both sides and no signs, sometimes a small fence. You would just have "to know" the road and houses to the left are Canada and the houses to the right are United States.
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0021...7i13312!8i6656
Thanks for posting those links. I thought I remembered (from being there) that the border runs right through the middle of the arch...and that is what Google shows (as I mentioned in a previous post, Bing shows the border as not being straight, with the result being showing the arch itself as being entirely in the United States.

Looking at the default position of your first link, I stood right next to the concrete ground marker (that marks the border) that you can see on the 'west' edge of the park's lawn (right next to the southbound lanes of the highway). If you 'click down' in your link to the ground and 'walk' () over to that spot, you'll see that you can see the train track on the other side of the highway, but you can't see the beach, and that scenario is exactly what I found when I was standing there. Not being able to see the beach is also consistent with the picture of/along the beach that is in the Canadian link in the OP. That picture shows that the beach is below a bluff. If you turn the google view 'walked to the edge of the lawn' as I described above (which is essentially part of where I was walking when I was there) around and look 'back to the east', you can see the arch, and see people. If you look at the people, the arch, and the flags on top of the arch, you can tell that the flags aren't very tall in relation to the arch and that people being there makes that at least slightly easier to discern. I think it's plausible that she (the detained French girl) wouldn't have been able to see the flags from the beach (I wonder how close Google has 'stick figure drop' footage to that area from the perspective of the beach ...I haven't attempted to look at that).

Looking at your second link, if you turn that 0 Avenue perspective (so that the houses are on the right in the perspective) and heat west down the road, you will see a large lawn area. That lawn area is part of Peace Arch State Park...Washington, obviously, being the state, with the road (0 Avenue) wholly inside Canada. You can see, able to see one to the next, yellowish concrete markers that look like 'bump stops' that are at the end of parking spaces in many modern parking lots. If you scroll to the one that is near what looks like a 'mini silver Washington Monument' you can see that those yellowish markers appear to be a foot or two north of the border. The little 'mini silver Washington Monument'straddles the border.....the 'north face' of it reads 'Canada'. Re when I was there, I don't remember seeing the little 'dog poop bag posts' that face toward Canada/0 Avenue. The Canadian guy I spoke to near the arch (who I mentioned in a previous post on this thread) seemed to say that the big border straddling lawn area (where we were)...that surrounds the arch....is the only part of that area where people are allowed to wander 'check free'. Yet, why would those 'dog poop bag posts' on the edge of the lawn that is on the other side of the Northbound 'I-5' lanes and the gardens (from the arch area) face 0 Avenue if Canadians who live in those houses aren't (unchecked by border officials) allowed to walk their dogs in that park ?

Old 06-23-2018, 06:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,393,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nope. She was taken to Tacoma and checked against various databases. IAFIS comes to mind among others. Then the French consulate notified. Per policy. She was allowed communication with them. She was allowed to contact her mother who brought her passport however CBSA is notorious for not stamping passports. I travel in my plane several times a year to Halifax but have only one stamp in my passport. So before Canada would take her they want to see if she had made entry legally to Canada. That’s where the PNR search comes in handy. French people do not need a visa to enter Canada. So you can claim all you want about your vast knowledge but I have actually done the job and 90% of you are the ones full of pure crap.

I've crossed the border more times than I can count and have gone through at least eight passports and almost never gotten a stamp from an American inspection point.

And as you've still chosen to ignore links showing none of that being necessary in actual practice, I'll see your "full of pure crap" and raise you to full of pure "unadulterated" crap!

There is no excuse under the sun in this day of instant communications that justifies her being detained for two weeks. Especially an excuse that attempts to deflect blame for common bully behaviour onto the Canadian side of the border.

Trying to justify this is just desperation.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:29 PM

32,910 posts, read 12,203,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah you did that alright but added in all that nonsense about it being Canada's laws preventing her swift return when you know that's utter bullcrap!

I posted an example of the reverse situation happening and showing how Canada deals with American interlopers who cross by accident and you completely ignored that to carry on with this nonsense of Canada Border Agents refusing to accept her had they simply taken her to their entry office.

See that's where you're categorically going off the rails. Had they done the humane thing and listened to her story, and checked her phone records, they could have easily verified for themselves her story being accurate. Had they taken her to the Canada office immediately to check her story, the Canadian agents would have done the very same thing, checked her cel-phone and called her mother to bring her passport down to them, et-voila all sorted.

You're making up a story to suit your agenda it was Canada's rules preventing American border agents using their freak'n brains instead of their MAGA hormones.
IME, the Canadian officials at that border crossing (experiences other than during my visit (discussed in this thread) to the park complex, when I didn't (that time) continue with a visit to Canada) are among the nicest such officials I've encountered along the U.S. - Canada border .

Old 06-23-2018, 06:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,156,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Thanks for posting those links. I thought I remembered (from being there) that the border runs right through the middle of the arch...and that is what Google shows (as I mentioned in a previous post, Bing shows the border as not being straight, with the result being showing the arch itself as being entirely in the United States.
If it is as you describe, how could This be the first time? It has to be a daily occurrence but we never heard anything like this.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:32 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,543,322 times
Dear Canada,

I'm sorry.

Your friend,

Sane America (bloodied but not broken)

Old 06-23-2018, 06:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,156,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
While I agree with you, the article says she came to Canada to learn English. Maybe she was unable to explain what happened at the time.
Has anybody seen evidence that she is French?

Old 06-23-2018, 06:36 PM

5,882 posts, read 2,811,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It's with lazy officals who couldn't bothered to check out a young girls story rather than International Law.

Furthermore since when has the US ever adhered to International Law.
Canada wont take her back without documentation,she had none .The US is stuck with her. This is not the EU. Now go back to eating bangers a having warm beer and tossing road flares at football games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies