Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,741,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Obama and liberals CAUSED the housing crisis. You can post lies, but that doesn’t make them valid.
It started in 2006 when Bush Jr was in office and did not happen overnight. Greedy conservative bankers who are Republican also caused the crash of the housing market by selling bad loans on Wall Street as secure investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 01:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,353,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Obama and liberals CAUSED the housing crisis. You can post lies, but that doesn’t make them valid.
Really? Obama caused the housing crisis? Ohhh right. With his time travel device.

Someone is posting invalid lies......

Old 06-26-2018, 01:15 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,330,966 times
Actually as participant in the housing crash it begin in 2002/2003. Hit one crisis in the 3Q2004 when the prices of new homes hit a wall and stopped rising. Than coasted for a few years with mostly stable prices and falling sales. Than it went off the cliff in 2008 hitting bottom in 2011/12.

So it was in disaster mode when Obama took over.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:57 PM

228 posts, read 260,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
We Americans are saving tons of money with our privately run medical system. We are paying a lot less for medical than people of other countries. That's why Medicare should go private as well.
I am left wondering whether this post is a joke, or intended to serve as bait for those who could spend the day finding surveys to refute this. One survey I read indicated that per capita health care costs in the U.S. included $5K public spending, and $6K private spending. In Canada, the numbers were $4K public spending and $1K private. In addition to spending less, Canadians lived longer on average.

I'm trying to spare myself the pointless effort of finding a survey, when so many have said the same thing so many times. Since so many studies show precisely the opposite of what the above post asserts (health care costing less in the U.S.), I contend that the burden falls on the above poster to provide a survey showing that above assertion to be true.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:47 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,148,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager39 View Post
I admit that I haven't read the underlying legislation, but am trying to understand how the above can save the govt money without costing more to beneficiaries.
Currently, M-care advantage works (my understanding) by having an insurance company collect benefit money from the Medicare system, collect premium payments (through a range of possible plans) from the beneficiary, and provide benefits to the beneficiary that improve upon those of original medicare. Of particular importance to those who have assets, is coverage of the 20% co-insurance cost in original medicare part B. I believe that Medicaid pays some of most of those costs for low-income seniors who are dual eligible for M-care/M-caid.

For the govt to spend less, for the same medical service level to beneficiaries, it seems to me that it would have to either collect more in premiums or pay less in benefits. Am I wrong here??
The government saves money because Medicare is Fee-for-Service (FFS), which is the most expensive form of insurance.

Private insurers through Medicare Advantage have been saving the government money since the program first started, and that even includes the cost of bonus payments to private insurers for high ratings for quality of care.

Medicare doesn't actually process claims. It carved up the country into 12 geographical regions, and a private contractor bids on the right to process claims for one or more of the 12 regions. For Medicare Advantage, private insurers submit bids on a per-capita or per-enrollee basis for each region, and because private insurers don't operate on an FFS basis, their costs per capita are less than Medicare's, and that's where the cost-savings come.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:11 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,649,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The GOP is the party of "Let them eat cake." And the stupid old people who keep them in power as they are systematically removing all of their benefits are taking this country down, because these reprehensible Republicans wouldn't be in power without these stupid old people keeping them there.

And now they will begin to suffer from their own stupidity.

Do you think, even as their benefits are being cut, they will be smart enough to NOT vote Republican?

Nope, neither do I. The GOP will start to wail about abortion and gays and immigrants and these fools will line right up and pull the lever for GOP again and again and again, even as their Medicare and Social Security is decimated by the Republicans.

Works every time, because stupid is stupid.
The Republican target group is quickly dying off at the top end. The replacements coming into that target age group are Boomers. That would be the Boomers who got the shaft from trickle down economics since Reagan, the Boomers who got pensions pulled, the Boomers who got hit in the recession & who the Republicans then gave a drop kick to by refusing to deal with the rampant age discrimination in the workplace. Yeah, those Republicans are just so smart & crafty. They've been dumping on me since the Reagan administration. As my parents' generation dies off, they want my vote now. They can go pound sand in a rat hole. They're in for a surprise of how many Boomers want them gone. They earned the disdain.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:08 AM

36,482 posts, read 30,813,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The GOP has quietly introduced a bill to gut Medicare.

"As the entire nation is focused on the Trump administration’s abhorrent treatment of minority children at the border, Republicans in Congress just quietly passed a bill through committee that will substantially affect seniors."

BREAKING: GOP Quietly Sends Bill To Gut Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid By $2 Trillion

I hope there is a lot of room in hades for the entire GOP party.
What bill is it. The article did not give the bill name or specifics of the gutting.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:07 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,813,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The government saves money because Medicare is Fee-for-Service (FFS), which is the most expensive form of insurance.

Private insurers through Medicare Advantage have been saving the government money since the program first started, and that even includes the cost of bonus payments to private insurers for high ratings for quality of care.

Medicare doesn't actually process claims. It carved up the country into 12 geographical regions, and a private contractor bids on the right to process claims for one or more of the 12 regions. For Medicare Advantage, private insurers submit bids on a per-capita or per-enrollee basis for each region, and because private insurers don't operate on an FFS basis, their costs per capita are less than Medicare's, and that's where the cost-savings come.
And Medicare has been funding these Advantage plans. Private plans without that Medicare funding can not and will not work. Period.

The cost savings that Medicare gets thru contracting out processing services simply isn't that much at all. In total, around 6% (the Advantage plan administration is more expensive, contrary to your claim) of the Medicare budget is for admin expenses..

Not by any stretch of the imagination would that 6% be sufficient to fund these proposed new healthcare plans Paul Ryan wants.

With cost of these proposed new Ryan Medicare plans being more than $10,000 a year for an individual (source - current Advantage funding), there is no way an average retiree couple could afford more than $20,000 a year for insurance premiums and also have enough for food/shelter/living. Especially since their primary source of income is (and many times, only) social security. Insurance companies know that, Paul Ryan knows that, you know that.

This isn't a plan to gut Medicare. Its a plan to KILL it.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 AM

228 posts, read 260,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Thanks for your reply and the explanation. You appear to have explained why Medicare Advantage is more efficient at processing claims that original Medicare is. However, the original question was about how the proposed changes in the new bill would save money over the sum total of the existing systems of original Medicare and Medicare Advantage. I still don't see where those savings arise. I especially don't see where efficiency in claims processing would lead to savings of billions or trillions of dollars over ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies