Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 02:05 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'll take the "wild culture" over a dictator any day.
I don't mean an uninhibited culture. I mean a violent, anarchical culture driven by clans and blood feuds.

Because that's what you get without social order and shared norms.

I think you're discounting how awful life is in "wild" cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 02:13 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I don't mean an uninhibited culture.
But many do and deem it 'immoral' if you do anything that offends them, be it drinking alcohol, using tobacco, recreational sex, you name it and we can probably find someone who calls it evil and a sign America is collapsing.

Quote:
I mean a violent, anarchical culture driven by clans and blood feuds.
Because that's what you get without social order and shared norms.

I think you're discounting how awful life is in "wild" cultures.

Are you really counting what life is like under dictators?

The stories I read of Kim Jong Un and those he's sold off as slaves both in country and out lead me to believe I'd still rather take my chances with clans and blood feuds.

I just get tired of the 'The Sky is Falling and it's all (fill in the blank's) fault'.

We certainly have our problems but collapse?

Sounds like hyperbole to me.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Are you really counting what life is like under dictators?

The stories I read of Kim Jong Un and those he's sold off as slaves both in country and out lead me to believe I'd still rather take my chances with clans and blood feuds. I'd rather die fighting than live enslaved.

I just get tired of the 'The Sky is Falling and it's all (fill in the blank's) fault'.

We certainly have our problems but collapse?

Sounds like hyperbole to me.
Was Iraq better off under Hussein? Was Libya better off under Ghaddafi?

Old 06-23-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Was Iraq better off under Hussein? Was Libya better off under Ghaddafi?

I give up, were they?

What I do know is no where does the Constitution task us with building other countries around the world.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I give up, were they?

What I do know is no where does the Constitution task us with building other countries around the world.
Judging by the millions who have fled those places since we destroyed their governments, I think they were.

Democratic institutions are costly because they are inefficient. But those costs can be reduced if a culture is relatively homogeneous. The more heterogeneous a culture, the more inefficiencies are introduced by democracy. At some point government becomes so unwieldy that it falls apart and you need a dictator to impose order on the cheap.

The USA is a long way from collapsing, the thread title is hyperbole, but the quote from Adams hits on a very important truth.

The best governments are democracies of like-minded people such as in northern Europe. The US used to be like minded when the powers that be pursued an assimilationist strategy, but since then our culture has fractured and our government is becoming more corrupt and less effective than it used to be.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:30 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,138,210 times
I still can't figure out why supposedly self-described "religious" people voted for Trump, who clearly embodies so many classic evils - greed, adultery, a propensity for fraud, indifference toward the poor, etc.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:39 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,323,773 times
Quote:
A gram or a meter have set standards that define them, there is no such objective measurement for morality, or qualifications for those whose judgement we should accept.
God would be the objective measure for morality under Christian meta-ethics.

Even those founding fathers who were deists would be able to underpin their ethics in a similar way.

Denying an objective morality doesn't help you here. All it does (in this context) is disqualify you from disparaging the OP's moral world view. That puts you in an awkward situation where he can criticize your morality and you can't criticize his.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:57 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
the fbi has been revealed to be a corrupt organization that threatens the very foundation, the democracy of this nation. however, the press suddenly discover the "children-in-a-cage" story, and use that to bury this very important fbi story.

Failed, has-been Hollywood stars call for terrorizing the children of ICE agents, and kidnapping Barron Trump and handing him over to child rapists.

etc, etc, etc.

I wonder if america is descending into a civil war, a catastrophe that I'd previously thought was far enough into the future that I'd never see it. Now, I'm not so sure.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Judging by the millions who have fled those places since we destroyed their governments, I think they were.

Democratic institutions are costly because they are inefficient. But those costs can be reduced if a culture is relatively homogeneous. The more heterogeneous a culture, the more inefficiencies are introduced by democracy. At some point government becomes so unwieldy that it falls apart and you need a dictator to impose order on the cheap.

The USA is a long way from collapsing, the thread title is hyperbole, but the quote from Adams hits on a very important truth.
But if many slave owners of the day considered it immoral as has been put forth in this thread, how can we take Adams seriously when so many framers/signers of the Constitution were slave owners? Just a classic case of 'good for me but not for thee'?

Quote:
The best governments are democracies of like-minded people such as in northern Europe. The US used to be like minded when the powers that be pursued an assimilationist strategy, but since then our culture has fractured and our government is becoming more corrupt and less effective than it used to be.

I agree with the bolded but don't necessarily believe a multi-cultural society is its root cause. There's certainly enough corrupt mono-cultural societies/governments to refute that theory.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
God would be the objective measure for morality under Christian meta-ethics.

Even those founding fathers who were deists would be able to underpin their ethics in a similar way.

Denying an objective morality doesn't help you here. All it does (in this context) is disqualify you from disparaging the OP's moral world view. That puts you in an awkward situation where he can criticize your morality and you can't criticize his.

How can you say there's an objective morality by defending it with Christian meta-ethics?

Making it Christian, Buddhist, Jewish, whatever makes it by definition a subjective morality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies