Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

Breaking news….

humans getting shorter due to man-made gravity increase....

Liberals blame conservatives, say they doubt science... and have put forth a new tax on short people and conservative... says the tax and forthcoming ban on short people will motivate short people to grow taller... bill is attached to the revoke the 2nd amendment bill

continued coverage at 0700 tomorrow...….. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 08:23 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,612,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Being tall sucks. I walked into a bird's nest the other day. lol

Shopping is impossible, too. It shouldn't be so hard to find pants that are size 4 (or 26, depending on type of sizing) in longs.

Being tall does not mean being obese.

It's even bad for sports (except boring ones like basketball, running, and swimming). Fun things like gymnastics, dance, ice skating, horseback riding, rock climbing? All best done by short people.
I can vouch for being short and some sports. I am 5' 7" and I grew up surfing. My taller friends had a much harder time with the sport because of their center of gravity.

My wife is 5' 8" and my daughter is projected to be 5' 10". She is 10 now and taller than everyone in her class.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:05 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,311,516 times
I am 5'1". My daughters are 5'4" and 5'5". Good Nutrition, or maybe because their Dad is 6'1"? My young Grandsons are in the 25th percentile for height. Bad Nutrition, or maybe because their Dad is only 5'6"?

I learned a very long time ago that being petite, and thin, has it's advantages. Yes, I have had to climb on things my entire life, but I am very agile still even in my Senior years. Even my 6'1" husband would need a ladder to reach the top of the kitchen cabinets. I just climb on top of the counter tops.

He cannot fit under the kitchen sink to fix a leak, but I can. Same for getting into the attic crawlspace.

I once locked myself out of the house. A very small bathroom window was open. My then teenage daughters could not fit through it, but "little Mom" could. I crawled sideways through the window holding on to the sink. Think a tall, big woman, let alone a man, could do that?

Athletes? How big are the female Olympic Gymnasts, or for that matter, Figure Skaters? No, I am very happy with the size I am. Why do you want people to be TALL???

Old 06-25-2018, 06:11 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
But maybe getting taller is not actually that important. Maybe nations of people who have been genetically underperforming are catching up to societies who are actually genetically optimized. Or maybe the US as a nation of many people of varied races have our avaerage lowered by recent immigrants of shorter stature like Asians and Mexico. But in a world of tech who needs to be taller. Does being taller make you a better soldier or neigjbor ? Atletics sure but in real life its not that important.
This is the actual answer. American statistics are often skewed, particularly as the population becomes diverse. This applies not only to the issue at hand, but also poverty, income and education rates.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My 4'11" sil was concerned her toddler daughter was not conforming to the growth chart. She brought it on the next visit to the pediatrician. The doc looked at her and my 5'8" brother and said can't get an elephant out of a peanut. That was the end of it.

Taller men sometimes get promoted more than shorter men.

My 6 ' tall female friend thinks being tall was an impediment to her career.
That's hilarious. Some parents just think being tall is very important to the future of their children. What they fail to consider is that short people generally live longer lives than tall people do.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
That's hilarious. Some parents just think being tall is very important to the future of their children. What they fail to consider is that short people generally live longer lives than tall people do.
We live in a culture that values height and the power it conveys, which often lead to career success, and if there's anything parents lose sleep over, it's whether or not their kids have what it takes to launch into an independent adulthood. But it's not as clear-cut as simple adult height. Turns out, it's height in high school that apparently sets a kid up to do well.

The Effect of Adolescent Height On Labor Market Outcomes: The Case of Height

Moral of the story: If you're short, consider ramping up your retirement savings!

Old 06-25-2018, 10:17 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Yeah, Mark Zuckerberg is really tall. Yes, maybe he is the exception. I do see height as an advantage in the corporate world however, as I see attractive physical looks in general as an advantage.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yeah, Mark Zuckerberg is really tall. Yes, maybe he is the exception. I do see height as an advantage in the corporate world however, as I see attractive physical looks in general as an advantage.
Yeah but you still have a better chance if you are ugly and tall vs ugly and short. It is a real thing. They even did a study on presidents, the tall guy usually wins. I don't know how this would work with women.

I am not very tall and hate to always be physically "looked down" upon. When I saw a photo of myself standing with a group of colleagues, all tall, I looked like a child amongst adults, it was a bit jarring to see it from that perspective.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
They might also fail to consider that height is not a choice. BTW, my father was 6'5" and lived to 89....but I would agree that shorter people live longer (women are shorter and live longer generally). I'm taller than my father and certainly wouldn't want to be any taller without an NBA contract.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:49 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
[url]Americans are becoming shorter due to bad nutrition
Americans are shorter because they are so obese. All that extra weight is compressing the spine.

End the food stamp program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies