Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,552,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
UGH. When are we going to allow the past to be recognized for what it was? It was not a very nice time in our history where non whites were mistreated, enslaved and murdered.

Instead of white washing history why can't we hold it up as a marvel at how far we have come?

What is next banning Mark Twain?
This thread is not about banning anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 PM

10,018 posts, read 9,463,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This thread is not about banning anything.
BS... yes it is.. stay ignorant.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:23 PM

11,906 posts, read 5,552,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
BS... yes it is.. stay ignorant.
And you stay polite.

If you have evidence that this is a ban, please produce it.

They changed the name of an award. That is all.

I do not believe in banning books.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 PM

16,237 posts, read 5,843,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Was Christianity a different doctrine during her life than it is now?
In many ways it was different. Just look at how the different branches of Christianity viewed each other as little as 60 years ago.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:40 PM

23,403 posts, read 17,081,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't have a problem with this move; by the way, this has nothing to do with students reading the book in class which is a completely different issue.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/laur...221528580.html
Disney time machine ride into the USSR.. this is what it was like to live under communist rule.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,723,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Calm down, no one is banning anything. They are merely renaming an award to better reflect today's thinking.

And it's exactly a reflection of how far we've come, so it should make you happy.
It's a reflection of the fact that we have a significant minority of contemptable ideologues who are obsessed with purging history and incapable of judging historical figures in the context of their time, and that these people have an unfortunate amount of clout in the fields of education and literature.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,447,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Mark Twain has already been banned in many school districts and libraries.
And should not be. Nor should Wilder's books.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
The book "The Ghost In The Little House" makes an excellent argument for this. However, if you compare Rose Wilder Lane's literary style in "Let The Hurricane Roar" and Laura's in "The Little House" books, they are entirely different. I think Rose edited the subject matter of Laura's books, and how the experiences were told, not the style in which she told it. If you read some of Laura's Missouri Ruralist articles in her column "How a Farm Woman Thinks") you can see the similarity (at least I can).

I don't think the books would have existed as they are without the collaboration.

My biggest gripe (off topic, I know). Michael Landon's hijacking of the stories. Albert...was he REALLY necessary????
LOL. Albert, in the show. My mother was quite critical of it. They're living hand to mouth and they keep adopting kids! I was young and thought it was sweet. Originally. Then it became a soap. Went on and on, eventually Albert, whom never existed, became addicted to drugs.

Old 06-26-2018, 12:48 AM

21,406 posts, read 10,485,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They aren’t building actual bonfires but book burning is alive and well right now.

I’ll say again, it is unfair to judge people of another era by the current social mores. Many of those climbing high on their self-righteous soapboxes would have most likely had the same attitudes as those they condemn had they lived during that time period.
Absolutely! Imagine it from her perspective. The Indians were not always nice. The Apache and Comanche in Texas were vicious. And the early Texans were vicious right back. It was like gang warfare. I don’t know how they were in Minnesota, but they surely didn’t like the settlers (and who could blame them by that time)?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Well, there goes Little House on the Prairie, being thrown out of libraries run by liberals all over the country. Before long, only Marx will be allowed to be read.
Er, no. Not being thrown out of libraries. Do you read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies