Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 09:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I don't believe it one way or the other. But reading it this morning by accident, while looking for something else, caught my attention.

I have puzzled for a long time over certain American attitudes, and why they exist. A suspicion and disdain of authority. A great fear of Russia going way back, long before even the Second World War. Why did the rise of Communism cause so much anger and fear in especially America?

The very idea of the people owning the means of production, and the rich being stripped of their assets. Why did that cause so much unrest in America back in the 1920s, a slight thaw during the war, then back with a vengeance as soon as it ended? This cold war leading to Korea, and Vietnam. The very idea of Communism seemed to raise American hackles, and the hunting down of Communists and 'Pinko's' in the 1950s. I am not now, and never was a Communist by the way..........

The fear of government coming for your guns. The very idea is ridiculous. Going door to door demanding the handing over of guns? It would be a bloodbath! No government could ever even consider it. Yet, this fear runs deep is some Americans.

Anger from many about the very idea of UHC. 'Not my job to pay for other folk's health care. I pay for myself, and my family. Not my job to pay for others.' Even though, American health care is the most expensive per head, in the world, with the system you have now.

Constant shouts about 'freedom'. To me, and I'll be honest I don't see much freedom. I see slaves to the machine - and loving it. A pride in hard work, and folks with three jobs get much admiration. Folks taking vacation time seen as slackers. It is all so weird to me........

I find American I have met to be polite, kind, and very interesting. But of course, I only have met Americans in a social setting, when they're relaxing and enjoying themselves. I have never lived among Americans, and got into long conversations on subjects that concern them. Well, just once on a plane flying from Atlanta to Las Vegas. The guy opened up to me, I guess as a foreigner, where he could speak candidly. That was a very interesting conversation.

The link I put up made me think. It gave reasons for much of the attitude found only in Americans, and nowhere else. I am only curious in respect of Americans reading it, and commenting on it's contents.

This is the great thing about city-data. Where else can an Englishman living in the north of England, speak to ordinary Americans, and ask for their comments on something I have read about them?
Most Americans are nice, and in their personal lives, quite generous. Lots of us give to charity.

I think the thing that is upsetting people about the article is that it addresses the cruelty of some of our public policies, and the possible reasons for them. And yes, many of our policies are cruel. Our health care system is cruel. Our failure to mandate any kind of sick time or other PTO is cruel. The question is, why do we continue to support such policies? I think that's what's being asked by the author, but seeing that would require reading for nuance, without becoming defensive. That seems to be a dying art.

The one place where you and I part company is on the issue of Muslims. They should be treated as anyone else: punished when they hurt others, and left alone otherwise. To villify them as a monolithic evil is simply more punching down of the latest despised group.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Communism is anathema to freedom. Why do you not understand this truism? Often is comes from an agenda.
Right, but why, during the McCarthy era, did people think that Americans could be so susceptible to its influences that it was necessary to hold hearings and blackball people?

It hadn't taken any real hold in this country, so why such a great over-reaction? Talk about cruel.

Personally, I think it was just another deflection from the real issues that the country was facing at the time, much like the immigration issue is now.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:31 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
It has largely been proven that some if not most of what McCarthy believed was correct. It was the manner of which he said it, and his personality that was the problem.

We are now aware of the Far Left bias Hollywood, and the Media have, including Communist traits, except for their own selfish desire for high salaries, and profits.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Oh? Is that from observation? How much time have you spent in America?
Those words you quote are not mine, but in the link. I only ask you read the link, and comment on what it has to say. Do you believe there is some truth in it, or not?

I have visited America many times over a 30 year period. But, almost all were just holidays in NYC and Las Vegas. On the first trip, I actually caught a bus out of NYC, and got as far as Ohio. Zanesville Ohio. I wonder if they remember me........

I had a few strange experiences in Zanesville. I felt a little like an alien from another world. But, on reflection, it sure was interesting.

That trip is the one that remains most in my memory. I actually got out and about, and met ordinary Americans. I got talking with some Amish people in Harrisburg. Wish I'd stayed longer.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:33 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It has largely been proven that some if not most of what McCarthy believed was correct. It was the manner of which he said it, and his personality that was the problem.
Where do you get your material, pilot1? Alex Jones?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Bill Bryson, the American-English author, was from Iowa.
OT, but I absolutely adore his books. I read my first copy of Made In America: An Informal History Of the English Language In the United States until it fell apart. He is quite possibly my favorite author of non-fiction.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:37 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Where do you get your material, pilot1? Alex Jones?
Where do you get yours? Pravda, Tass, CNN?

Old 06-25-2018, 09:38 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
I don't think most Americans are cruel -- or most people in the world. Most people I've met in person are really nice and accommodating.

I do think that a significant proportion of Americans are deluded into thinking they (and others) can be rich one day if they just work hard enough. (Temporarily embarrassed millionaire syndrome)

And they vote with the mindset of themselves already being rich.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:40 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCG99

our telling me to look in the mirror? Im a scotch-irish, native american and african american but all American mutt.Every ethnicity i belong to has been genocided, oppressed, enslaved, or starved by the English. In case of my scottish, irish, and african ancestory, on multiple continents.This entire oppressive system in America was put in place by the English and the virginia planter class who were 90% English. This system has only started to become less oppressive once the English lost power and control here. Like every single country they have ever colonized.So once again, incredibly ironic for someone from England to call America "cruel"
A lot of English people have Scottish, Irish, Welsh and many other types of ancestory.

Secondly the English themselves have a histrory of oppersion and war, or did you forget that we were invaded by Romans, invaded by Anglo Saxons, invaded by Vikings and subject to Danelaw and invaded by the French in terms of the Norman Conquest, whilst William of Orange saw a Dutch Protestant King take the throne.

Thirdly a lot of the wars in relation to the British Isles were down to religion and protestant and catholic, although the bloodiest war of them all the English Civil War was Royalist against Parliamentarian, which Parliament won, however the Royalty was later restored however power ewas now firmly in the hands of Parliament.

Finally in terms of the British Empire, it developed from the famous trading companies such as the Hudson Bay company, and was very much based on trade. In India for instance the country was largely ruled by Indian Royalty known as Maharajas (the Raj) who presided over large regions and had their own armies. The Raj were kept happy by the vast fortunes they were earning through trade with the British Empire and wherever possible Britain, a Nava Power with a much smaller Army than most European countries liked to develoip similar arrangements.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Where do you get yours? Pravda, Tass, CNN?
Thanks for outing yourself.

Let me guess, the New York Times is controlled by a secret cabal of Communists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies