Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Greed breeds cruelty.

Odds are we are one of the greediest countries on earth. spoiled as well

Old 06-29-2018, 10:46 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
For-profit jails are a horrible idea. Businesses thrive when there are more customers, and is that really what we want for our prisons - more and more inmates? When a person is on trial, there should be no issue of how much money could be made by jailing him or her, and it is all to easy for me to imagine a scenario where there is additional pressure on judges and prosecutors to go for the harshest possible penalty, even more than now, because of the money involved.

Then, also, there is the matter of cost-cutting, and what a profit motive would do the the treatment of inmates: food, health care, whatever. I have no problem at all with requiring people who are in prison to contribute something to the maintenance of the facility to offset the cost to taxpayers, as long as they are learning a useful skill and earning some money they can set aside for their eventual release in the process, but there is absolutely no way that their labor should be enriching some damn corporation or individual investor. That isn't justice, it's slavery.

Death penalty. I hate it. I have lots of reasons for that, but only one that really matters in the long run: sometimes people are wrongly convicted, and how do you fix a mistake like that?
There are profits to be made from America's huge prison population.......

https://www.newyorker.com/business/c...-prison-market

The largest jail population in the world. Tough on crime laws, adopted since the 1980s, have filled US jails with mostly non violent offenders. The war on drugs is to blame for much of this jail growth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarc..._United_States

A criminal record,and especially jail time,will follow people all their lives, affecting future job prospects. Yet, if you read threads within this forum, many Americans want ever more people jailed, even though it is costing the taxpayer vast sums. America with 5% of the world's population, has 25% of the world's prisoners. Quote from link below. 'Americans aren't addicted to crime. Our politicians are addicted to criminalizing things.'

https://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/20/o...orm/index.html

America seems to have a desire to punish so called wrongdoers. Yet, many are in jail for drug offences. Whether pushing, buying, or using......... lock 'em up is the cry. Ex prisoners have difficulty reestablishing links after spending time in jail, and many struggle to find work, and end up back in prison within a few years of release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recidivism

No where else in the world do you find this desire to punish. There has to be a link with ingrained Puritanism.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:40 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
No....... generally quite minor crime, that young people sometimes commit. Not violence. There is no police caution for anything like that.

Sometimes, young people can be talked into theft, by so called friends. As they say, 'getting in with a bad crowd.' The police don't want a criminal record following someone all their lives, for many instances, a one time only crime.

Why, do you believe young people deserve lifetime punishment for one minor crime?
I don't know any kids that do bad enough crimes to get locked up.Speeding tickets,crap like that. While some may not believe it Cops in Small town Minnesota tend to do as you suggest. Call the parents for the small stuff...They might get on the Cops watch list but they aren't going to jail for spray painting RR cars...They start robbing the Casey store and they get a trip to county lockup!

Old 06-30-2018, 01:17 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:

The largest jail population in the world. Tough on crime laws, adopted since the 1980s, have filled US jails with mostly non violent offenders. The war on drugs is to blame for much of this jail growth.

A criminal record,and especially jail time,will follow people all their lives, affecting future job prospects. Yet, if you read threads within this forum, many Americans want ever more people jailed, even though it is costing the taxpayer vast sums. America with 5% of the world's population, has 25% of the world's prisoners. Quote from link below. 'Americans aren't addicted to crime. Our politicians are addicted to criminalizing things.'

America seems to have a desire to punish so called wrongdoers. Yet, many are in jail for drug offences. Whether pushing, buying, or using......... lock 'em up is the cry. Ex prisoners have difficulty reestablishing links after spending time in jail, and many struggle to find work, and end up back in prison within a few years of release.

No where else in the world do you find this desire to punish. There has to be a link with ingrained Puritanism.
Okay ... in order for government to justify taking money from its citizens, they must first create the need and sell it to the people. Americans are pushovers, they'll buy anything. The government gets more money and the citizens sleep better at night with a belief they've done their part. The reality they've been robbed, never hits 'em.

Puritanism as you may know of it in England, and the Puritanism as it is today in America are two different monkeys. Puritanism as a core belief is non existent in the u.s. The closest one might come to finding Puritan belief system is through Calvinist or the Presbyterians ...

If I'm understanding you correctly, your trying to link the perceived 'cruelty' in American society to its belief system in Christianity ... (over est. 1,500 different Christian faiths) religion. However, over the last 50 years religion (as a whole) has been on a steady decline, where as people identify the importance of religion in their lives. (visit pew report dot org for survey stats)

imo, it is because of the decline is one of the reasons America seems more messed up these days than in the past. I've looked at research articles given on the decline of ancient civilizations that led to their ultimate fall and one common denominated that seemed to come into play was the citizens decline in religious beliefs. That along with reduction in military and economic strife made them ripe for the pickings of their rivals. The American society, is par ...

In one of your posts you mentioned the situation with Bill Clinton and how people were outraged over the moral implications, not seemingly understanding that he might be actually good at his job. It wasn't the fact that he had sex with that woman, that bothered Americans. It was the fact that he lied about it, that did it in for him. People don't like being lied to and that has nothing to do with religion, people are just quirky that way.

I say that knowing that the people believe there is a war on drugs and they need to help pay those that are in the fight against it. Direct lies are harder to accept, than the ones that are ... indirect. It is the indirect lies that our politicians use to build their empire that is the u.s. states of America. The perceived cruelty are the results of the newest religion in the u.s., politics.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:19 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:

Crime in America is mainly about demographics. Violent criminals are barely human. Either you lock up these criminals behind bars, or they will turn your neighborhoods into a 3rd world war zone.

Take your pick.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:43 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Crime in America is mainly about demographics. Violent criminals are barely human. Either you lock up these criminals behind bars, or they will turn your neighborhoods into a 3rd world war zone.

Take your pick.
Do tell us more about the demographics, particularly as it relates to humanity.

The question at hand, BTW, is not about violent crime, in particular, it's about for-profit prisons. I don't believe you will find anyone here who supports letting violent criminals walk free.

Old 06-30-2018, 02:22 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Do tell us more about the demographics, particularly as it relates to humanity.

The question at hand, BTW, is not about violent crime, in particular, it's about for-profit prisons. I don't believe you will find anyone here who supports letting violent criminals walk free.
The for-profit prisons are an abomination. I can't believe that they aren't monuments to graft.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Take your pick.
I agree with you totally violent criminals need to be locked up. It's the vast amount of non violent prisoners in American jails that I find interesting.

It's the reasons why so many are jailed I find puzzling. You don't find those percentages of the population anywhere else in the world.

Is it something particular to the American psyche? Ellis Bell thinks I am wrong in thinking it is to do with an ingrained puritanical bent, there for hundreds of years. To punish the wrongdoer, and reward the righteous.

Do American politicians feel they have to appeal to that desire to punish? I'm really not sure at all what it is. But jailing such a large part of the population must cost eye watering sums of money.

Ellis Bell mentions that the public anger at Bill Clinton wasn't based on the sex, but the denying of the sex. In other words lying. Yet, today, there is a man in office who lies every day. Everybody knows he is lying about his dealings with so called Stormy Daniels. He lies pretty much all the time. Yet, somehow, a part of the population will not hear anything against President Trump. Why is he given a pass, and President Clinton wasn't?

Winston Churchill made a statement in 1939 about Russia. But what he said, for me, stands for America as well.

A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
I agree with you totally violent criminals need to be locked up. It's the vast amount of non violent prisoners in American jails that I find interesting.

It's the reasons why so many are jailed I find puzzling. You don't find those percentages of the population anywhere else in the world.

Is it something particular to the American psyche? Ellis Bell thinks I am wrong in thinking it is to do with an ingrained puritanical bent, there for hundreds of years. To punish the wrongdoer, and reward the righteous.

Do American politicians feel they have to appeal to that desire to punish? I'm really not sure at all what it is. But jailing such a large part of the population must cost eye watering sums of money.

Ellis Bell mentions that the public anger at Bill Clinton wasn't based on the sex, but the denying of the sex. In other words lying. Yet, today, there is a man in office who lies every day. Everybody knows he is lying about his dealings with so called Stormy Daniels. He lies pretty much all the time. Yet, somehow, a part of the population will not hear anything against President Trump. Why is he given a pass, and President Clinton wasn't?

Winston Churchill made a statement in 1939 about Russia. But what he said, for me, stands for America as well.

What would make more sense with non-violent criminals would be to put them on house arrest, with an ankle bracelet. Allow them to go to work & if they don't have a job get them one. They should then pay a fee to cover the monitoring cost & make a payment towards restitution, if that's involved. One trip should be allowed for them to buy groceries, & whatever else needs to be done, per week, pre approved.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:

It's three hots and a cot for the non violent law breaker, some times for the rest of their life and the one breaking the law is often times, fine with that. There are two psyches at play, the ones breaking the law and looking at the consequences vs freedom to have a life. And the ones enforcing the laws with an idea, maybe 'this' will work in reduction of offenders.

We talked about theft and how in some countries if one is caught stealing they loose a hand. For America, that would be inhuman. (not to mention how many people would be walking around with a hand lost)

There was an American young man several years back that was caught in China by officials, keying a car. He was thrown in their poky, and was to be given a cane 'en, for the destruction of private property. The citizens in the u.s. were outraged at what they were going to do to that young man. However, in the end ... he got his whoop 'en.

Life in Prison for Shoplifting: Cruel and Unusual Punishment

Do Three Strikes Laws Work?

"Careful studies of the effects of the three strikes law have shown that it has had no deterrent effect on crime in California."

imo, people are breaking the law in order to drop out of society. The amount of poverty, job loss, peer pressures, stresses of the three, plus what I may not think of in this post to mention ... people give up, their freedom. It may not be peaceful in the jails, but it's three hots and cot with a roof and medical for the rest of their lives.

If we were punishing puritan style ... there would be less human tactics as those used in other counties and there would be less people incarcerated.

In sums of money ... government creates the need, (war on drugs) the people tasked with fighting the war must show the need exists, so as when budget time rolls around, checks get cut with a percentage increase for inflation. State prisons create state jobs, with federal money to pay for it all ...
Monica Lewinsky kept the blue dress with the dna all over it. Bill Clinton was caught in a direct lie. If he had come clean from the beginning, no one would have thought twice about it. (JFK & Marylin Monore) Bill Clinton lied, because he thought, no evidence no crime, deny everything ...

Trump liken to that of Bill Clinton, however, the difference are the indirect lies and he can do that all day long as, no evidence no crime. (no harm, no foul)

No mystery in America really. The only mystery I find is in human behavior and what the citizens are willing to pay their representatives when they are struggling to feed their own families, when the politicians are sending their children to ivy league colleges. I don't think I will ever understand that and their willingness to throw the poor person under the bus for asking for food & shelter assistance.

If society would take away the labels, we'd be much better off, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies