Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2018, 08:43 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
You are beginning to discern our differences. It's about time.
Just kidding with you....... I'm getting heady waiting for the football game between England and Columbia......

Oh, and I'm not passive aggressive. I come right out and say it. No hiding it. I'm English, and say what I mean. Read my posting history. I've got into some great ding dongs here in city-data.......

My best insults can't be read sadly....... they got removed.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:52 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
What puzzled me about the crime link was blacks were over represented in almost all arrest offences. The question is why? Are they more criminally inclined? If so, why?

Do police concentrate more on black, than white crime? I have read that while white people tended to use powder cocaine, blacks were more prevalent with crack cocaine use, and were punished heavier than arrested white people.

Do white people get more of a pass from law enforcement? In the case of youngsters especially? A call to parents to come and collect their minor law breaking children....... compared to black kids not getting this chance to escape a police record?

I once again repeat I am not a liberal in these matters, just curious of how American justice works.
The vast majority of black people in America are not criminals, of course. It should be stressed that most African Americans are law-abiding, middle-class people.

However, there are significant statistical differences between whites and blacks on a wide range of issues. This includes the criminal element in America - which most people consider to be the lowest of the low in society. It is not arguable that violent crimes are committed disproportionately by blacks and Hispanics, and particularly by young black and Hispanic men. This is borne out by their large percentage of America's total prison population, which is now around 2.2 million people.

America's prison population skyrocketed since the 1980s. The overall violent crime rate peaked in the early 1990s and has come down dramatically since then. It is now about 50% lower than it was at its peak, and many people think that mass incarceration is one of the reasons (among many) for this dramatic drop in crime.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:04 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,264 times
Quote:
Sorry about the spelling mistake....... I'm quite embarrassed........

Well, for a small island, our influence over world history is massive. Do you ever think how such a small country managed to end up controlling so much of the world? To spread our language? The fact that every time you open your mouth, out comes English?

You go almost anywhere in the world, and say, "anyone here speak English?" Someone will say, "I do....."

You're welcome.......

We are not uniquely cruel and hateful. The link spoke of how Americans hurt each other. We don't do that here. We believe in society, and our political system is set out to help each other, as with something like the NHS.

We are not controlled by religion. Take for instance your latest excursion into banning abortion. Whose bright idea is that then?

Why do your politicians never miss an opportunity to bring God into their speeches?

How can a snake oil salesman like Donald Trump become POTUS? How bad has it become that such a man can end up in such a position of power?

Worse of all, this con man will probably win again in 2020.

Did you see the video I posted of the man with the enormous testicles? What sort of rich society allows such a thing? A uniquely cruel one?

Not one person mentioned that video. Not one.
Religion is very, very important to Americans .

Usa is also the birth place of two of the worlds most powerful religions, Mormons and Scientology,
Both invented by mad men , one in 1860 and the other in 1950's , both religions that demands it's followers to suspend their rational thinking ( well, all religions do that but these two more so ) Americans embraced both these religions with gusto. One religion invented so an adult man could get away with molesting young girls and the other to create riches for Ron Hubbard. There are actual quotes from Hubbard to this effect and even so, millions of followers for both. All it would take is for people to inform themselves about these two religions before joining but even that is too much of a challenge for most people.
Americans in general love to be fooled , they willingly sign up in hopes of what I don't know but after having
lived here for forty years it is now clear to me that Americans have a bit stronger acceptance of con men than most of the rest of the world.
The results speaks for themselves because here we are with a con man in
the WH and don't you dare question their devotion to the lies that come out of his mouth because they want to be lied to. It is in the dna I suspect.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The vast majority of black people in America are not criminals, of course. It should be stressed that most African Americans are law-abiding, middle-class people.

However, there are significant statistical differences between whites and blacks on a wide range of issues. This includes the criminal element in America - which most people consider to be the lowest of the low in society. It is not arguable that violent crimes are committed disproportionately by blacks and Hispanics, and particularly by young black and Hispanic men. This is borne out by their large percentage of America's total prison population, which is now around 2.2 million people.

America's prison population skyrocketed since the 1980s. The overall violent crime rate peaked in the early 1990s and has come down dramatically since then. It is now about 50% lower than it was at its peak, and many people think that mass incarceration is one of the reasons (among many) for this dramatic drop in crime.
I understand what you are saying. Young black and Hispanic men are more inclined to violence, and their jail numbers reflect this.

But, at the beginning of their criminal careers, are they assisted in attempts to divert them away from criminal activity? Are all young arrested criminals treated the same?

I believe jail numbers skyrocketed because of the war on drugs. Were all arrested drug users treated the same by law enforcement? I read crack cocaine users were treated more harshly than powder cocaine users. Crack was a drug more popular among the black population, and the powder variety preferred by whites.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 AM

24 posts, read 12,691 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Young black and Hispanic men are more inclined to violence, and their jail numbers reflect this.

But, at the beginning of their criminal careers, are they assisted in attempts to divert them away from criminal activity? Are all young arrested criminals treated the same?

I believe jail numbers skyrocketed because of the war on drugs. Were all arrested drug users treated the same by law enforcement? I read crack cocaine users were treated more harshly than powder cocaine users. Crack was a drug more popular among the black population, and the powder variety preferred by whites.
It's without a doubt that the war on drugs/different incarceration and sentencing practices have a huge impact on black and brown people and them being sentenced to prison.

But it's also without a doubt that black and brown (especially black) are far more likely to commit serious crimes such as homicide. By some estimates, 10x more likely than whites. This is born out in all US cities with homicide problems, and in many cases the homicide problems are so bad that incidence of homicide rivals that of many central american countries destroyed by gang warfare.

So which came first? Did selective policing and sentencing practices come due to the problems in black urban communities or did they contribute to them by throwing many young youth in jail for minor charges only to see them emerge as hardened criminals?

There is no good answer to the above question.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:14 AM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
You adore your President? I really feel sorry for you if you mean that. He is riding on Obama's economic shirttail. It will hit the fan eventually. He is working on it right now as I type. I know some people love him. Like I said earlier in this thread, Adolf Hitler had folks who adored him also........ right to the end.

I say this with no pleasure. I understand why folks voted for him. But, he is the Emperor with no clothes.

Plus he is a cruel man. Is this why you adore him? Like the link says?
Well, clearly your MSM spouts the same BS as ours. I imagine large portions of the English population, as here, have still not figured that out.

Blue - Our economy has become quite strong precisely because the Prez has reversed much of what Obama put in place. And, because he and Congress got major tax reform passed which would have never happened in the O years. Crumbs Pelosi already talking about trying to reverse it and take more from people.

Green - Of course, economic cycles are a given. Always have been. A recession is in our future, at some point, the same as it is in yours. Until then, people are working and earning.

Purple - I suggest that you do some research into the very strange, and utterly atypical, official portrait Obama had painted of himself. Then please advise about sickness and cruelty.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

Usa is also the birth place of two of the worlds most powerful religions, Mormons and Scientology,
Both invented by mad men , one in 1860 and the other in 1950's , both religions that demands it's followers to suspend their rational thinking ( well, all religions do that but these two more so ) Americans embraced both these religions with gusto. One religion invented so an adult man could get away with molesting young girls and the other to create riches for Ron Hubbard. There are actual quotes from Hubbard to this effect and even so, millions of followers for both. All it would take is for people to inform themselves about these two religions before joining but even that is too much of a challenge for most people.
Americans in general love to be fooled , they willingly sign up in hopes of what I don't know but after having
lived here for forty years it is now clear to me that Americans have a bit stronger acceptance of con men than most of the rest of the world.
the WH and don't you dare question their devotion to the lies that come out of his mouth because they want to be lied to. It is in the dna I suspect.
That is a real interesting theory. Religion is dead as a dodo here in England. The churches are empty, except for a few elderly. There has been an increase in attendance in some churches, because of Polish immigration. But the English......nope, no interest at all.

We don't believe in sky gods because it's just so silly. Even I figured it out as ridiculous when I was a kid. Like some Russian leader said, religion is the opium of the people.

I notice politicians in America know which side their bread is buttered, and make sure God gets plenty of mention in their speeches. Even the Donald does it, and no more an ungodly figure exists on the face of this earth.

This religion thing runs deep in the American DNA. I am convinced this is the reason for so much of what makes Americans tick. The white people dream of better days long ago. Work, Family, Church. Donald is their last hurrah. I understand how they feel as a white man myself. This time is their last stand.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:22 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

Boy, talk about clueless!

Old 07-03-2018, 09:26 AM

24 posts, read 12,691 times
Quote:
This religion thing runs deep in the American DNA. I am convinced this is the reason for so much of what makes Americans tick. The white people dream of better days long ago. Work, Family, Church. Donald is their last hurrah. I understand how they feel as a white man myself. This time is their last stand.
It's minorities in the USA that vote more as a bloc than white people do. White people in the USA are fairly evenly split (though a bias towards the Republican party - compare that to black people who vote overwhelmingly for the Democrat party). As time goes on, and white people become more and more of a minority and the Democratic party brands itself as the savior of black and brown interest groups you will find more white people voting as a bloc for the Republican party. I think party politics will be deadlocked for the foreseeable future.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:30 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
If America was cruel there wouldn't be 700 Million people looking to come here. It's the world's lone super power with the highest wages and the strongest middle class in the industrialized world. Stop with the non-sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies