Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:07 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You’re smarter than this. HD is a company on the decline in a shrinking business. This decision has little to do with any threat of tariffs.
HD says differently, and your God-Emperor is taking them at their word. That post would have looked so much better 72 hours ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
My grandfather, my dad, and both my brothers are Harley fans. I love Harley because new motorcycle manufacturers come and go, bikes come in and out of popularity. There is only one brand that you can be sure will stick around,, and that is a Harley. Plus, I believe Harley holds VALUE.

All these said, back in Jan 2018,

Harley-Davidson Inc. on Tuesday reported its fourth straight year of declining sales as the Milwaukee motorcycle maker struggles to get more riders on Hogs.

Harley's motorcycle-related revenue fell 6.8% in 2017 to $4.92 billion,
as retail sales continued to suffer in the U.S. and around the globe. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected revenue of $4.88 billion.

Shares of the company fell 4.7% in premarket trading to $52.70.

Harley-Davidson said it would close its assembly plant in Kansas City and merge its operations into its plant in York, Pa.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ha...ues-2018-01-30

They have to do what they have to do to stay relevant and maybe stay in business. I don't think Trump should get mad at them, as a businessman himself, he should know that a business has to do what it has to do in order to make a profit. So it is not like they are making a political statement.

I think Trump should consider this as "it is what it is" and stop picking on Harley. I just don't get it. I defended Trump because I think he had the right to make his ties in China. (if he believed China was ripping us off, then why bother making the ties in China? His own words "I am the best businessman, and I am smart.") I support Harley to make their bikes in foreign countries. What seems to be the big deal? Trump, be consistent.

It's not like this business decision will bankrupt the U.S. economy. They are only moving PART of the productions to foreign countries. sheesh

Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
I think it's a good idea for corporations to manufacture in the market they're actually selling to. Hopefully the EU agrees.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Is he really clueless? Or is it that he doesn't care? There is only one thing that ever motivates Donald Trump, and that is the need to have his bloated ego stroked by his worshippers. THAT trumps every other consideration. People have not quite figured out that he is a sociopath. Sociopaths have no conscience, they don't care about the consequences of their actions.
Have to say as a Trump voter, I agree with you.

I think it is more about his bloated ego. He made it clear that when he was a businessman, he had to make a smart decision by making his ties in China. So why can't he see that Harley is making the exact same decision as a business?

Trump vs Harley Trump D-

Old 06-26-2018, 09:32 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Trump is using the Office of the President to directly threaten and bully an American business, Harley Davidson. So much for "small government" staying out of the "free market," eh cons?

Old 06-26-2018, 09:38 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump is using the Office of the President to directly threaten and bully an American business, Harley Davidson. So much for "small government" staying out of the "free market," eh cons?
Trump is separating the cons from the statists. There are still a few conservatives (free market types) out there but most of the republican party now is made up of statists like Trump. They believe the government rather than free markets should control the economy. No conservative worthy of the name would sign on to Trumpanomics.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Trump is separating the cons from the statists. There are still a few conservatives (free market types) out there but most of the republican party now is made of statists like Trump. They believe the government rather than free markets should control the economy.
At this point, I think I have to painfully admit that Trump is all about ego.

With trump, life is like a box of dried cow pies…you always know exactly what you're going to get.

In my world, moving the manufacture to another country is not a big deal. If the tax is reasonable, then foreign factories will come here to open businesses. A trade policy will help some and hurt some, it is just common sense.

Not sure why Trump has to make a big deal about this. Can't say I am surprised by that though. Just like my liberal friends have told me, "we told you so." well, yeah, duh, I am not surprised.

I still agree with Trump about certain things. But this one? no, can't find words to defend him

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
My grandfather, my dad, and both my brothers are Harley fans. I love Harley because new motorcycle manufacturers come and go, bikes come in and out of popularity. There is only one brand that you can be sure will stick around,, and that is a Harley. Plus, I believe Harley holds VALUE.
The price of used HD bikes is currently dropping like crazy, adding more trouble to the company. People who want the badge can buy used from an aging boomer and it's completely a buyer's market.

The hip bike to have is a vintage metric - classic CB750s in good condition are silly expensive.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I think it's a good idea for corporations to manufacture in the market they're actually selling to.
You want Boeing to move their manufacturing to Europe and Asia for airplanes which are sold there? That's a lot of jobs moving out of the USA.

A small business wouldn't be able to afford having different factories throughout the world.They don't have the staff for this or the ability to rent or purchase multiple factories and have multiple sets of expensive equipment at each location. It's pretty much impossible for a small manufacturing company to have several global locations unless they simply farm out the entire manufacturing process to another company which already has a location in the other country.

Last edited by sware2cod; 06-26-2018 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The price of used HD bikes is currently dropping like crazy, adding more trouble to the company. People who want the badge can buy used from an aging boomer and it's completely a buyer's market.

The hip bike to have is a vintage metric - classic CB750s in good condition are silly expensive.
yes and no. HD bikes can hold value (when i was a kid) I was born in 1985. Not sure about now.

Like the other poster pointed out, they are dealing with a shrinking market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies