Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:47 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Yep. I did. Because I don't feel like getting involved in a debate with anyone who thinks that our current two party system is effective. Nothing personal, but I've been on this merry go round before and the ride never ends.
I think our two party system needs to be scrapped. I however think proportional representation offers the best chance to give us the kind of governance we need. Libertarians don’t take into account the human condition which makes their belief system an academic exercise at best, comparable to communism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I think our two party system needs to be scrapped. I however think proportional representation offers the best chance to give us the kind of governance we need. Libertarians don’t take into account the human condition which makes their belief system an academic exercise at best, comparable to communism.
Much of the Libertarian system works. There is no perfect system though and why people think they must defend the complete theory behind a belief system is something I do not understand.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:03 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
"Small government" has only ever applied to pet issues. In practice, right-wingers *always* expand government.

Only difference here between the right and the left is that the left makes inept efforts to solve problems via bloated bureaucracy... whereas the right starts wars and funnels money to billionaires via different bloated bureaucracies.
Libertarians aren't "right-wingers."

Old 06-26-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Do libertarians think private for profit prisons, military, police, fire services are a good idea???
Only if they are 100% voluntary and funded through consensual exchange.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
"Smaller government" seems to mean, to many I have met: "Get my disability check mailed out in a timely manner, but cut benefits for others."
There should be no government disability check.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Yep...no reason to attempt this discussion. Just bait for people to call me an idiot. I'll let No_Recess or rebeldor give it a shot if they feel like wasting the time.
I'm game. Haven't posted much lately.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I never call anyone names. Especially if they respond to my threads. I respect other people's opinions, i just want to know if libertarians support
1 drug war
2 privitazition
3 free trade
1. Absolutely not. The State has zero authority over what people put into their own bodies.
2. EVERYTHING should be privately-run.
3. Free trade only exists when the State stays out of it.

Quote:
In my view the big difference between a corporation and a democratically elected government is I can fire the democratically elected government using democracy when a corporation is in charge my democratic vote is worthless.

when a private corporation does something big government should be doing it just creates a middle man with a profit motive...privatization of government services is extremely dangerous.

Civil asset forfeiture is a GREAT example of government run amok...that should be illegal
One can choose whether or not to do business with a company; we are forced to deal with the State.

Profit is the sole motivating factor for a business, and in order to accomplish that, it must provide good customer service. The government has no such motivation.

I agree on asset seizure.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Who owns the materials as in arable crop land, lumber and water? And how so with out du guberment involvement?
Whoever owns the land on which it resides.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
libertarianism = respect of private property rights and non-aggression
Try applying those principles to govt or its actions and see what you're left with
That's all that needs to be said, really.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:20 PM

[quote=CCbaxter;52316548So lets say a US company is making widgets. A Chinese company wants in on the widget market, so a subsidized Chinese company floods the US with Chinese widgets and charges half the cost. The US widget maker goes out of business. Then the Chinese figure out to make it even cheaper by using lead paint on the kids widgets.
All OK under libertarians?[/QUOTE]

It's what the market decides. If consumers wish to buy those products then that is market forces at work.

If consumers reject those lead-painted widgets, other companies will step in to fill the demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies