Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 11:50 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
The workers themselves don't really have any say in where their union dues go. Union dues that are designated to democratic candidates are at about 95% of all union political donation.

But in my experience as being an union member for 34 years the majority of my co-workers didn't support that our union due being given to democrats. Just the hierarchy who are dazzled by democratic candidates who promise them the happy days ahead and after the election give next to nothing.

Union members most likely supported Trump...union leadership not so much.
Finally an end to taxpayer-funded lobbying for the Democratic party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 11:51 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Its because of the efforts of organized labor that OSHA exists.
I don't deny that. But unions have outlived their usefulness in many cases. They also should NEVER have been allowed in the public sector.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM

12,965 posts, read 9,643,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
'bout time to end the 'Union' thugery.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...ons-1530108179

I'm sure some blue collar republicans fall under unions as well. I live in a red conservative states, and not those workers in those unionized places are dems.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
This. A non member should not benefit from a union negotiated benefit. That said, blue collar workers seem to be championing their own demise and competing for lower benefits so carry on.

I would rather negotiate my own worth to those I am providing services and labor too. I make out way better than any Union Hack, can make a deal for me.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:56 AM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I'm sure some blue collar republicans fall under unions as well. I live in a red conservative states, and not those workers in those unionized places are dems.
I can’t tell you how many college educated, white collar people I sit in in interviews for union labor openings. Because we have better benefits, pay and pensions than people with 4-6 years of college.

When unions lose, all workers lose. We set the bar and our numbers are pretty small. Unless you are a millionaire I wonder why someone would see a union defeat as any kind of a victory.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 06-27-2018 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,937,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I don't deny that. But unions have outlived their usefulness in many cases. They also should NEVER have been allowed in the public sector.
Why not? Whose to say people should accept low wages in the public sector? Also if corporations can donate to political candidates unions should be allowed to as well. Frankly I am far more suspicious of corporate dollars influencing our elected representatives than unions.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Many people on both sides of the isle have no choice but to pay union dues because they want a job and the area industries are unionized. If given the choice many union "members" would tell the unions to F off but they don't have that choice.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If the employer decides that rate should go from $25 to $12, neither law addresses that.

no but other laws on the books do address that, both state and federal. you cant as an employer just decide to cut wages in half, the state and federal wage and hour boards will have a lot to say on that. in fact you cant even cut an employees pay unless you change the job they are in to a lower paying job. and yes i have dealt with issues like this over the years, having been in position of having to deal with employee pay.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I can’t tell you how many college educated, white collar people I sit in in interviews for union labor openings. Because we have better benefits, pay and pensions than people with 4-6 years of college.

When unions lose, all workers lose. We set the bar and our numbers are pretty small. Unless you are a millionaire I wonder why you see a union defeat as any kind of a victory.
Most people are tired of seeing a portion of their pay funneled to Democrat politicians without them having any say in the matter.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:02 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,954,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
"Outlived their usefulness..." They are more useful than ever.

40 years of stagnating incomes for the working class while unions for the last 40 years have seen a sharp decline in power. That's no coincidence. The ruling class have gone to war against unions and the working class has lost as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies