Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,991,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Why should these people who don't want to join and don't want to pay, receive the same benefits of our collective bargaining that I do?

I'd agree, they should have to negotiate on their own whether it is for more pay or less pay.

I don't think you have clearly thought this through because if your union loses the ability to dictate wages to non-union members the fat lady is going to sing. With this ruling individuals being able to negotiate their own wages will be the next court case and I can assure you that your union will not be on the side of allowing individuals to negotiate their own wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 12:32 PM

17,398 posts, read 11,959,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Why not? Whose to say people should accept low wages in the public sector? Also if corporations can donate to political candidates unions should be allowed to as well. Frankly I am far more suspicious of corporate dollars influencing our elected representatives than unions.
Those corporate donations aren't paid for with money taken from employees. Union donations are. And since the government doesn't have money of its own, those wages paid to the unions are taxpayer money.

As for accepting lower wages in the public sector, if you've been paying any sort of attention to government employees these past few years, they should be paid at the bottom of the barrel, in many cases. Waste, fraud and abuse is rampant. And they're able to get away with it because they cannot be fired.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Tell me a single country where public sector unions have been abolished and the working class is thriving. You cant. And you know it.
By that measure, countries with public sector unions should have a thriving working class, no?

Tell me, how is the economy in Greece doing these days?

Old 06-27-2018, 12:37 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,991,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintItBlack79 View Post
Fabulous. So they should still be paid at 1985 levels?

If you want to make money the formula is quite simple. Acquire a skill in demand and work hard at it whether you are working for someone or working for yourself.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
It's not just about salary. I don't make a lot of money in my government job. But there are many other benefits, including the cost of health care, that collective bargaining has brought me, that has greatly improved my quality of life.

AND the quality of life of these people who don't want to join or pay for the privilege of receiving these benefits.

Who will be yelling loudest when they start losing all that cushy government job stuff? the Janus type.
There's goes the argument that government workers would be making more in the private sector.........

Old 06-27-2018, 12:39 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,939,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Sadly to many people have a hard time making decisions for themselves, dependence
on Government
& Unions are a perfect example.

The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights reserved.
Jut like Sarah Huckabee Sanders with her new Secret Service detail.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:42 PM

34,271 posts, read 19,344,000 times
Shrug. Unions will now negotiate that non-union folks have to make 1/2 as much as union members. And back to the status quo.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,692,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Next they will revisit the minimum wage law. Republicans are determined to make this a third world country. Good for only the rich and large corporations. Middle class? They don’t need you....
I would bet money that minimum wage will be the next target now that unions are giving no to be weakened. It’s the perfect time. Then Medicare and Social Security. With an all Republican SC this is their big chance for the wish list.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM

50,204 posts, read 46,941,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There's goes the argument that government workers would be making more in the private sector.........
All of those nice "benefits" can add up to 40% more to , in this case, tax payers.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 PM

3,592 posts, read 1,789,607 times
These losers just keep losing and it's driving them insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies