Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 5,052,966 times

Advertisements

It isn't that unions are bad, just that they're greedy. I'm talking about PUBLIC UNIONS. The public (read taxpayer) pays for the union employees retirement, health care, insurance, etc. So while Joe citizen is breaking his back and skimping along trying to save for his retirement & family expenses, he's also paying for public employees benefits. And when he retires (at 66 - 67 not 50) he won't even come close to the dollars that the public employee will enjoy. And don't give me that BS that public employees contribute to their benefits because they put a much smaller amount in than private folks have too. For instance, here in IL. Chicago school teachers are suppose to contribute 9% of salary to retirement, but- they only pay 2% and the State or taxpayer pays the remaining 7%. The average retirement benefit for IL. teachers in 2017 is $54,180.

https://www.trsil.org/news-and-event...s-too-generous

Not to many private folks will get that amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
'bout time to end the 'Union' thugery.....

https://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme...ons-1530108179

absolutely love it. The unions, in the past, way back had a purpose. Now that has all changed. No one should be forced to pay dues for anything they do not want to pay does for or to. Forcing them to pay dues would be like a church that forces every member to pledge so much each year. A good part of the Union dues go to the upper dues bosses anyway.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:42 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
We'll see how this plays out down the road. Remember it's easier to be taken out when you are standing alone than if you are standing with a group.

And why are there multiple threads on the same topic? Can't they be merged or can"t people do a quick search before they post?

Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
this is the original thread. that one ^ was started 1 minute later.

merge time.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
The average retirement benefit for IL. teachers in 2017 is $54,180.

One thing to keep in mind about averages is employees that only worked a few years will drag that down. What you need to ask is what is the average for an employee with 30 years experience.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I do...

Think about it.....

No Collective bargaining for ALL employees could mean LOWER Wages for those not represented, no vacations/unpaid vacation, no insurance, no safety rules, no medical insurance, and no job security.

Serves 'em right. People forget what unions did for this Country, and the American worker.

Or perhaps you like having the boss make 100 times more than the guys doing to work?
It truly does serve them right. I’ve never seen such repeated ignorance as cheering the end of collective bargaining. By that logic, we should end the military and depend on individual mercenaries. We actually all benefit from the standards unions set. Pretty soon Trump supporters are going to be cheering for the end of minimum wage, Medicare and Social Security.

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I do...

Think about it.....

No Collective bargaining for ALL employees could mean LOWER Wages for those not represented, no vacations/unpaid vacation, no insurance, no safety rules, no medical insurance, and no job security.

Serves 'em right. People forget what unions did for this Country, and the American worker.

Or perhaps you like having the boss make 100 times more than the guys doing to work?
I'd be interested to see any examples you have where a union prevented the boss or CEO from getting 100 times more.

7,473 posts, read 4,015,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I’ve never been a union member and even I know they have tremendous value.
I am at odds with many of your opinions. Not this one.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
That said, the next common sense ruling would be that if a Union negotiates terms for its members, and you've decided not to be a member, that you're not entitled to the fruits of your labor.

Think about what you are saying. Unions will never want this to occur.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:48 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly you are asumming there is a benefit, an individual negotiating their own contract would be able to accept more or less than what the union is getting. Whether they are taking more or less it would absolute death blow to the union.
I don't buy that for a second. Union employees in New York absolutely smoke their non-union counterparts in terms of salary and benefits.

Big business fights unions so hard because unions cost them an epic **** ton of money.

A union doesn't fear employees trying to negotiate for themselves, and with this new ruling, they will probably relish giving them the opportunity. Once the non members get blasted on their next contracts, they will be begging to join the unions.

I'm saying this as someone who is negatively effected by unions, and the huge amounts we have to pay union labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies