Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
I am in agreement on all but this........ but I think that the background check should include mental illness. But that brings up a plethora of problems / arguments of it's own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you're for gun control as well? lol
Quote:
Gun control is three in the red at 30 feet in three seconds.
Backround check=gun control
No wonder you like pro gun controller Trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 09:09 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
First off.... the 2nd was never going anywhere.

Second... conservatives have voted in favor of gun laws, so that's just not true.

What in the world? Did all of you really vote for Trump because you feared the 2nd amendment was going to vanish?

That was just silly. It was never going to vanish. You'd need a Constitutional Congress to strike an Amendment and nobody wants to do that, not really. Especially not with the first few amendments. They are seen as being relatively untouchable by most political scholars.

Does not mean we will never have any sort of gun controls or restrictions on gun types, etc. But, removal of the 2nd was just not on the table.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 AM

764 posts, read 235,157 times
Quote:
Backround check=gun control
What is your point? If you are nit picking the thread title then maybe I should have entitled it FURTHER gun control.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:14 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
What is your point? If you are nit picking the thread title then maybe I should have entitled it FURTHER gun control.
You believe the 2nd should be compromised.
Just showing your lack of consistency.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:16 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Which recent rulings? I can't read your mind.
Masterpiece Cakeshop v. CCRC, Janus v. AFSCME, and NIFLA v. Becerra just to name 3 very recent rulings.

Quote:
What Constitutional rights are being chipped away and how has this turned the country 'semi-fascist?'
Have been chipped away over the past 40-50 years... Until beginning to be restored now. The First, Second, Fourth, and Fifth, at a minimum. Chipping away at those Constitutional Rights has greatly diminished individual liberties in our country, which are guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, ratified as the first ten Amendments of the US Constitution in 1791.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
First off.... the 2nd was never going anywhere.

Second... conservatives have voted in favor of gun laws, so that's just not true.

What in the world? Did all of you really vote for Trump because you feared the 2nd amendment was going to vanish?

That was just silly. It was never going to vanish. You'd need a Constitutional Congress to strike an Amendment and nobody wants to do that, not really. Especially not with the first few amendments. They are seen as being relatively untouchable by most political scholars.

Does not mean we will never have any sort of gun controls or restrictions on gun types, etc. But, removal of the 2nd was just not on the table.
No........ I voted for Trump to stack the Supreme Court with justices that will adhere as closely as possible to the original intent of the constitution. I am no fan of the man himself, I view him as I view any other politician, just a tool to get the job done. The 2nd is never going away, but what I consider to be unreasonable restrictions are always a possibility.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Chalk up two more people who feel that American society would be safer and more free if government were given the power to decide who can carry a gun and who can't.
I'm afraid vast majority of Americans agree we'd be safer if the mentally ill did not carry guns.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You believe the 2nd should be compromised.
Just showing your lack of consistency.
Show the inconsistency..........

Old 06-28-2018, 09:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
SCOTUS Justices' job is to uphold the Constitution, not to rewrite it or even "legislate from the bench"
Sounds like you are asking them to legislate from the bench. They will interpret and uphold the constitution, even when their understanding of it differs from yours.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:29 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,606,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I think some amendment to the gun issue is necessary. I wish I was smart enough to produce an amendment that makes sense for all, but I don't.
That's because ANY attempt to restrict the right for all law-abiding citizens, will not make sense. Every single one of them, no matter how well-intentioned, will cause (or permit) far more harm than good. That's why the people who wrote and ratified the Const and BOR, included a cast iron law forbidding government from having ANY say in who can have a gun and who can't. It's got nothing to do with your being "smart enough".
Quote:
I may not like guns, but I believe in the rights of others to own them.
Good to hear.
Quote:
I don't know about guns to know what would be considered "assault" that no one really needs outside of competitive reasons.
Your belief in the rights of others to own guns, just lasted about 10 seconds before you threw it right out the window. You're already looking for excuses (not even valid ones) for government to step in and decide that you can't own "certain types" of guns.
Quote:
If what you are saying is true about criminal coddling making the needs to carry even more important, that in itself shows such a glaring problem in society in general.
That is absolutely true, there is no "if". And it's a problem George Washington faced (so did Julius Caesar, and Alley Oop the caveman). And it can never be fully eradicated, because there will always be some humans in every society who want to take what somebody else earned without their permission, or wants to wreak violence on somebody who did nothing to deserve it. It can only be held in check, even as it keeps popping up in new locations.

And history has shown over and over, that the most effective way to hold it in check, is for the bad guys to constantly be aware that even if most people aren't bothering to carry the gun they have the right to, a few in the crowd do, and the bad guy can expect a bullet or two from an unknown direction if he even tries to stab a guy at an ATM, or point a gun at an old lady and steal her purse etc. Then a lot of bad guys (not all) will think twice about committing their crime at all. Presto, a reduction in crime, and an increase in safety, all without a shot being fired.

NO OTHER so-called "gun control" legislation has ever provided that, in the history of this country. And yet some people keep trying the same thing over and over, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies