Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:52 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Does anyone seriously think white people have the only bizarre baby names? You must live in a bubble.

But let's make everything about race!
Maybe next week it’ll be .. “White people drive the worst /lamest cars “
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 06:54 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Why is Tyrone or Dwayne odd? Both are of European origin like the rest.
They're stereotypically black names in the US nowadays, and there weren't many black people where I grew up. So I guess the parents saw someone elsewhere with the name or they went through a baby names book, rather than being influenced by what neighbors name their kids.

I really don't know how most parents pick a name though...I plan to adopt an older kid one day, so that will be already decided for me.

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Old school names for me are Robert, Michael, Matthew, Luke, John, Mark (are you seeing a trend here?), Catherine, Caroline, Margaret, Mary, Ann, etc.
Those are all great names.

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Did you read it? Definitely comedy.

I like a distinctive name as much as anyone, but some of those were pretty cringeworthy. People have taken shots at "ghetto names" for decades, so I'm not sure why this is ruffling any feathers.

No_Recess, have you ever read Freakonomics? There's some interesting stuff in there about baby names and how they trend.
Find me a recent article in a mainstream publication that makes fun of “ghetto names” . I don’t consider ghetto to mean one race /ethnicity though .

Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Did you read it? Definitely comedy.

I like a distinctive name as much as anyone, but some of those were pretty cringeworthy. People have taken shots at "ghetto names" for decades, so I'm not sure why this is ruffling any feathers.

No_Recess, have you ever read Freakonomics? There's some interesting stuff in there about baby names and how they trend.
I don't know if it was comedy. I can't tell anything anymore.

Never read that book.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:07 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Find me a recent article in a mainstream publication that makes fun of “ghetto names” . I don’t consider ghetto to mean one race /ethnicity though .
I was thinking primarily of comments I have heard, not of articles I've read. Either way, it was just a humor piece, by a white guy about white people. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been similar articles written by black authors, in publications marketed to a black audience, that say pretty much the same thing: don't do that.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Those are all great names.
They're well represented in my family going back many, many generations, but we also have a few somewhat weird Puritan names in our tree, too, like Thankful, Verity, and Theophilus, among others.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I don't know if it was comedy. I can't tell anything anymore.

Never read that book.
Oh, I think he meant what he said about goofy names, but he poked a good bit of fun at himself in the process. Anyway, you should check the book out. I think you might enjoy it.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:09 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
I saw the list of names.

Karo is as sweet as syrup.

Karo Syrup

And don't knock the name Ledger.
He may become a master accountant one day. And rise to the ranks of General Ledger.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
They're well represented in my family going back many, many generations, but we also have a few somewhat weird Puritan names in our tree, too, like Thankful, Verity, and Theophilus, among others.
I heard the Puritans really took the cake on effed up names.

Lament
Sorrow
Forsaken
Sorry-for-sin
Obedience
Fear-God

...those poor kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies