Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:40 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
The Bushes had a sordid past too - before entering the war, they had business relationships with Nazi Germany. Fast forwarding 60 years, GW Bush Jr as president recklessly started a war when inspectors were clearly making progress toward verification of whether Saddam Hussein had WMDs. If that's not outright starting a war under false pretenses, it's awfully close.

So either "sordid past" is just a rhetorical shield deflecting attention from the real issue , or all people's sordid pasts invalidate any controversial acts they did or do. You can go down one fork in the road or the other. You can't go down both without making a hypocrite of yourself.
Sure you can. Trump supporters do it each and every day. That's because it does not matter to them if they are being hypocritical - integrity is an old-fashioned concept in this brave new world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Perhaps and it will also result in more unwanted children, most of whom are poor...I can't wait to hear the conservative plan for educating and caring for kids whose parents knew they couldn't care for them but were forced to have them anyway.
We have heard from them. Many are childless who want to adopt.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:56 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Your point is? Again, abortions were not illegal pre Roe nationwide and, even where they were illegal, you can still estimate how many were occuring illegally. In any event, as I wrote, it is commonsensical to argue that the number of abortions increased when it became legal (nationwide), easier, and safer to obtain one post Roe.
Prior to 1973 there were only four states that allowed abortion in the early stages of pregnancy without other requirements such as the life of the mother was threatened; New York, Washington, Hawaii and Alaska.
And here are a few things that challenge your "commonsensical claim" that the number of abortions were lower before Roe V Wade

"Estimates of the number of illegal abortions in the 1950s and 1960s ranged from 200,000 to 1.2 million per year. One analysis, extrapolating from data from North Carolina, concluded that an estimated 829,000 illegal or self-induced abortions occurred in 1967"
https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2003/...st-be-prologue

"Research has consistently undercut that argument (that the abortion rate is higher when abortion if legal). A 2016 global study published in the medical journal the Lancet found that abortions occur just as frequently in countries with the most legal restrictions (37 per 1,000 women) as in countries with the fewest restrictions (34 per 1,000 women)."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c82ca98f7efc

Quote:
And a majority of Americans do not support unrestricted abortion:
I already addressed this the KoC poll was BS.
Quote:
Given that overturning Roe would not ban abortion nationwide (and those few states that would completely ban abortion will remain GOP friendly regardless), I can't foresee major backlash against the GOP
Just wait and see, most younger well educated people will see this as an attack on women.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
So because some women who don't want or can't care for children don't have an abortion that means that there is no sense in making abortion available to other women? That is some of the most tortured logic I've read here.
If abortion is illegal, women will think twice before endangering their lives to have a "coat hangerabortion". After all this is what it's about, their lives.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
We have heard from them. Many are childless who want to adopt.
We've heard from who? I haven't seen any big rush of anti-abortion zealots to adopt babies, especially babies of color, disabled babies and older children.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Cute little babies are not aborted, killing a baby is murder. We are talking about a fetus that is not viable, can't think, can't feel pain and is incapable of living outside of the body of its host.

Unless you are a baby who has been aborted, you have no idea if they feel pain.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If abortion is illegal, women will think twice before endangering their lives to have a "coat hangerabortion". After all this is what it's about, their lives.
The data proves you wrong, go read up on it then come back and we can talk. I will even help you start your research:

Quote:
The day after he made his controversial statement advocating the death penalty for women who get abortions, Idaho candidate for lieutenant governor Bob Nonini backtracked slightly, saying that doctors who perform the abortion should be the focus of prosecutions. “There is no way a woman would go to jail, let alone face the death penalty. The statute alone, the threat of prosecution, would dramatically reduce abortion,” he said in a statement. “That is my goal.”

Research has consistently undercut that argument. A 2016 global study published in the medical journal the Lancet found that abortions occur just as frequently in countries with the most legal restrictions (37 per 1,000 women) as in countries with the fewest restrictions (34 per 1,000 women). The study revealed that abortion rates had fallen significantly in the past 14 years in developed countries where laws tended to be more lax, but largely stayed the same in poorer countries with more restrictive laws. The study’s authors concluded this was likely because the countries with the most rules against abortion also tended to offer less access to modern contraception, sex education and family-planning services.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c82ca98f7efc

Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Yet you want the right too tell a woman what she can and cannot do with her body.

No no has that right!

Did you somehow miss the part where he says he is pro abortion?

Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've told the story before, but in summary, I terminated my pregnancy at 21 weeks after a prenatal ultrasound and amniocentesis that confirmed nonviability due to profound fetal defect.
Your's is one case. Millions of abortions that are done are not because of deformity of the baby or the health of the mother.

Old 06-29-2018, 09:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Quote:
Your's is one case. Millions of abortions that are done are not because of deformity of the baby or the health of the mother.
It's funny how people who speak in absolutes never, ever want to directly address women like me who've also had abortions and would be denied the option to end a pregnancy affected by profound fetal defect if abortion was made illegal. And while my situation is not typical, it is no less valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies