Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Believe That Women Gaining The Right To Vote Brought Us Today's Welfare State?
Yes 23 20.91%
No 87 79.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,198,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
First off , I would like to Thank you for actually debating the topic.

As for women suffrage rights. Of course some voting habits have contributed to certain aspects of improved medicine/sanitation etc, but the increased size of government, and social welfares programs also increase at the same time. A study here indicated that Evidence indicates that this extension of voting rights increased Swiss social welfare spending by 28 percent and increased the overall size of the Swiss government.

Voting habits of groups women can and will continue to increase size of government and welfare spending. This country has become a shell of what it was designed to be, due to the massive size of our government today.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Welfare_State
And who are you blaming?

WOMEN.

Very interesting. And telling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 06:39 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,414,054 times
Quote:
Not being sexist. Just asking for opinions. I read about this a while back.

After the 19th amendment was passed. Women gained the right to vote. 100 years later we have one of the largest welfare states in the World.

Women tend to vote for big government, and the party of big government.

Women are now relying on the government to raise them, and their children. Men are sometimes punished through the court system with no visitation , and or high child support payments. Women no longer get married. They would much rather have the government give them forced redistribution of resources rather than get married and have a man provide.

Agree , disagree.? Yes not maybe so? Let go

the 16th and 17th amendments are to blame. Not the 19th amendment.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:31 PM

5,306 posts, read 2,093,285 times
I thought about this some more. Why is the blame being placed on women and not the government itself, I wonder? For example, if we could make the different systems be more efficient and use the money better (therefore likely costing less), would that still be a problem? That would go for things like military too.

By merits of the previously mentioned article where child mortality rates were improved thanks to women voting and other such improvements, we could argue that men before that were underfunding society needs.

Since I don't have the books' worth of research to support this notion, I will not claim it is so, of course, but it shows some of the flaws still inherent in this premise. What is "too much" for society? What are the causes (all of them, since I believe it is definitely more than just this one factor) that led to the current problem being debated? What are the different options for mitigating this? And so on.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:33 PM

20,594 posts, read 19,257,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Come again? Who's "they", and how did "they" swing that?

If you're talking about women as "they", then you need a seriously history lesson.

Let me know when I can get a history lesson from you.

Here is yours:

1. Women were the swing vote to usher in Prohibition.

2. Prohibition cost the federal government $11 billion in lost Federal tax revenue. Many states as well.

3. It cost another $300 million to enforce and thus created a potent animus for the FBI.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 AM

36,076 posts, read 30,581,630 times
Quote:
Did Women’s Suffrage Change the Size and Scope of Government?

Suffrage coincided with immediate increases in state govern- ment expenditures and revenue and more liberal voting patterns for federal representatives, and these effects continued growing over time as more women took advantage of the franchis

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~i.../LottKenny.pdf

I can keep going, the DATA and Research shows that women's voting patterns brought on todays welfare state. Show me your data or facts rather than OPINION.
No it does not. There was a push for social reform during this time. Though women had won the right to vote, men still dominated the polls as well as Congress. As for your Sheppard Tower Act or Maternity Act intended to reduce infant and maternity fatality, although originally drafted and introduced by women a similar bill was introduced by Sheppard and Tower and passed by a vote of 279 to 39. There was only one women in congress and she voted against it. After eight years of opposition (mostly by the AMA) the funding ended for this program due to a shift in political climate.

There is no direct correlation between the right to vote and todays welfare state. Women's groups were campaigning for women's rights and needs long before suffrage. Political climate changes, it is changing right now. Yes women and women's groups lobbied and helped established many needed social programs for women and children and the poor over time as were minority groups pushing and lobbying for civil rights. Social reform and progressiveness had already been underway well before women began voting the 1920s and decades to follow continued economic and social changes.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:22 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,126,002 times
Under Trump it's the wealthy and the big corporations who get the welfare.

Trump's tax cuts will be funded by trillions of public deficit financing. That's a government handout. It's a cash advance on the nation's credit card -- the rich got most of the money, but every American gets the bill for years to come.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 PM

36,076 posts, read 30,581,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Trump's tax cuts will be funded by trillions of public deficit financing. That's a government handout. It's a cash advance on the nation's credit card -- the rich got most of the money, but every American gets the bill for years to come.
Yes because corporate welfare didn't exist before last year.
The sky is falling.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:04 PM

20,594 posts, read 19,257,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post

Under Obama banks were handed billions directly. The poor got nothing.

As I keep informing the loony, low information left. Trump has rich scumbag friends, just like Obama. However Trump's friends tend to be capitalists who hire labor. That along with middle class tax cuts is better than Obama , banker finance friends who set up a toll booth economy. Trump is the best president in recent memory....which basically means the last president we had were absolute wretches.

I used to think Reagan was a mediocre president too. I did not like his policies because ultimately there was a hangover from rich rentiers. However at least there was good times then. Under Obama the rich became richer simply by the Federal government handing them money. Its astounding really..

I guess a great presentient is someone who does not print treasuries and hand them over to billionaires who desperately need to keep their yachts afloat.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,524,905 times
Twenty-two people actually voted yes so far? Oh, for pity’s sake.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Wyoming gave women the vote in 1869, before they were admitted to the union. They came in to the union in 1890. Wyoming is pretty much reddest of red. Colorado, Utah and Idaho all gave women the vote before 1900. They're all conservative, though CO is kinda purple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies