Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2018, 12:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times

Advertisements

The future of this nation and the western alliance is being decided by a Putin stooge and a man who can't focus more than 5 minutes on a topic. A man so profoundly ignorant he admits he thinks with his "gut" (I can think of another body part) rather than on study and reflection. The fate of millions hang on the decisions of this moron.

All the Trumplicans and others ignorant of history now fall in line with the undoing of NATO. NATO which has been the cornerstone of the PAX Americana going on 80 years.

But this is what it looks like when a great nation dies. It's people just give up... or follow a charlatan to their demise.

Putin will be dancing on the grave of dead NATO. Xi is licking his chops at the prospect of leading the world in the new 21st century and the new world order created by Trump and Trumplican stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 12:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Good. I want out of NATO.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Leftist Progressives have always complained our military was so bloated, and the money should be spent on Social programs. Apparently Trump has them so frazzled that they dont know what to think
It is bloated, and we have gotten in a lot of wars we shouldn't have. That does not, however, mean we should cut all ties with our allies.

Old 06-30-2018, 01:52 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
It is bloated, and we have gotten in a lot of wars we shouldn't have. That does not, however, mean we should cut all ties with our allies.
We have been carrying NATO for way to long. We have 35,000 troops in Germany, We have 200,000 troops worldwide, and we spend 100 Billion dollars a year on maintaining them.

I'm an Engineer who has spent the last 20 years working in Defense, and even I can say we have too many troops spread all over the world. Germany is a very wealthy country, do they really need 35.000 of our troops there? They can get there own

Old 06-30-2018, 02:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
We have been carrying NATO for way to long. We have 35,000 troops in Germany, We have 200,000 troops worldwide, and we spend 100 Billion dollars a year on maintaining them.

I'm an Engineer who has spent the last 20 years working in Defense, and even I can say we have too many troops spread all over the world. Germany is a very wealthy country, do they really need 35.000 of our troops there? They can get there own
I'm not going to address how many troops we should have there, as I don't know enough to have an educated opinion about it. I do think we could bring some home without dissolving NATO.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:26 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The EU has alligator arms when it comes to paying for their protection. The typical freeloaders mindset expecting someone, anyone but them paying for their benefits.
This is the best news that I've read in a long time that NATO, AKA as the American taxpayer paying to defend Europe, is going to dissolve.

Thanks for the great news OP.

Old 06-30-2018, 03:50 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,122 times
How much of the US 3.6% of GDP is spent on NATO?

You have bases all over the world, two oceans to patrol and illegal wars all over the globe.

Now, how much is spent on NATO?

And having 35.000 in Germany, versus 35.000 in Virginia, Louisiana or dozens of other bases?
Its cheap insurance..

Old 06-30-2018, 04:12 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
How much of the US 3.6% of GDP is spent on NATO?

You have bases all over the world, two oceans to patrol and illegal wars all over the globe.

Now, how much is spent on NATO?

And having 35.000 in Germany, versus 35.000 in Virginia, Louisiana or dozens of other bases?
Its cheap insurance..
NATO was formed for the defense of the Western nations against the Soviet Union...it worked and is no longer needed. I can't think of any current benefit to the USA.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:25 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
NATO was formed for the defense of the Western nations against the Soviet Union...it worked and is no longer needed. I can't think of any current benefit to the USA.
ROFL

Feel free to close your bases.

Fylingdales in Yorkshire - gives America 15 minutes warning of a nuclear attack.

Menwith Hill in Yorkshire - NSA/NRA Base part of Echeloen.

Croughton - CIA/NSA Hub

Bude - Submarine cable tapping and signals intelligence

Digby - Signals Intelligence

GCHQ Cheltenham - home to US NSA agents

Fairford - RC-135 Rovet John Spy Planes

Lakenheath - currently F-15 Fighters which are to be replaced with the new F-35 in order to work with their British counterparts at nearby Marham.

The UK is currently considering whether to but the full order of F-35's or to buy more Eurofighter instead.

It's largely the same across Europe, indeed most of Europe has no US Bases, the other bases being in Germany (Army/Airforce) and Italy (US Navy/Airforce and one Army Brigade).

The vast majority of the bases are either intelligence or support US Operations on a global scale, if you want to close them then so be it. Indeed 95% of Europe wouldn't even notice.

Old 06-30-2018, 04:26 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So Trump supporters are good with Trump pulling the U.S. out of NATO?

Top General Says Putin Trying to Break Up NATO
https://foreignpolicy.com/2016/04/22...nes-for-qatar/

So far we have Trump pulling us out of TPP, out of the Iran agreement, possibly NATO and NAFTA, are Trump supporters thinking the way forward is to be fully isolationist with the exception of North Korea and Russia? Because if Russia was trying to break apart the Western Alliance, he would no do anything different than what is happening right now.
"So Trump supporters are good with Trump pulling the U.S. out of NATO?"

I can't speak for anyone but myself, unlike a LOT of dems on here who make very wide brush claims, and i DO AGREE wuth pullingout of NATO.

What have they done good in the past 50 yeas? What have they accomplished?

I don't want counties who are NOT paying "their fair share" trying to tell US what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies