Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 06:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No. My questions were "Did I say you should be fired for opting out? (of Hep B vaccine) If not, why are you bringing that up?" and "Did your husband decline the Hep B vaccine? If so, what happened? Who said anything about strapping him in the bed and vaccinating him?"

Don't need any medical records for that.
The difference between legislating childhood vaccinations and adult ones. It is all connected to the concept of 90% vaccinated Herd Immunity. Adults are the majority of our population. If they are not fully vaccinated, you do not have anywhere near Herd Immunity, which was the point of the article posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Excuse me, but are you trying to insinuate that the reason that my Grandson has not DIED from catching the flu is because he was vaccinated???? Then tell me why when he caught the flu when his little brother was a Newborn, who COULDN'T be vaccinated, he did not give it to his brother, and KILL HIM? Must be he inherited my "superhuman genes", or maybe the fact that his Mom, despite being sick herself, was breastfeeding him? That has nothing to do with it, right?

The only way for vaccines to work is if everyone is vaccinated!!!! Same for those of us who had measles, mumps, etc., in childhood? Ever consider it might be the same for the flu as well? The flu strains can mutate an infinite number of times to not be at all recognizable to the body's immune system? I believe science is trying to work out that question right now to develop a bigger and better flu shot! Not "superhuman" but maybe a better "memory" of past infections? Of course, one would have to get SICK first and we can't have humans getting sick at all!

BTW, when you quoted that 400-500 measles deaths before the vaccines you failed to mention that was out of 4 to 5 MILLION measles infections. Put that in terms of percentages.
If your grandson got sick during flu season and is still not well, it is extremely unlikely that he had influenza. If he had test proven influenza and is still not well, what does his doctor say? Who knows where he caught it? It may have been someone who breathed the virus on him at some time he was out in public. Who got sick first? Was it his mother or your grandson?

As you have been told in other threads, the only way for vaccines to work is not for "everyone" to be vaccinated. Why do you keep repeating that? It just shows you do not understand how vaccines "work" at all. Vaccines "work" by preventing people from getting infected and getting sick. The fewer people who get infected, the less opportunity there is for anyone to be exposed and get sick. Everyone who is immune to a disease, either by having had it or by being vaccinated contributes to herd immunity, however, which is an entirely different concept.

If you have never had a particular flu strain (or one closely related to it) your immune system will have no "memory" of it at all.

Yes, flu mutates more rapidly than other viruses against which we have vaccines. Yes, the experts are working on a universal vaccine. However, if more people would take the current vaccine we could achieve herd immunity in seasons for which the vaccine is well matched to the most common circulating strains. People like yourself, who do your best to discourage others from vaccinating, are one of the reasons that flu vaccination rates are not high enough to get the herd immunity effect.

Why get sick if you do not have to? Flu can kill. The vaccine is less than perfect, but people who take it are less likely to get sick, and if they catch flu anyway they are likely to be less sick.

One or two out of 1000 people who get measles die from it and some have permanent adverse effects, including hearing loss and brain damage. Measles is not a benign disease, and thanks to the vaccine it does not circulate in the US any more.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
The difference between legislating childhood vaccinations and adult ones. It is all connected to the concept of 90% vaccinated Herd Immunity. Adults are the majority of our population. If they are not fully vaccinated, you do not have anywhere near Herd Immunity, which was the point of the article posted.
Those children who are vaccinated grow up to be adults who are still part of the immune herd. Most childhood vaccines do not require adult boosters.

If herd immunity collapses, expect to see states get tougher with adult immunization requirements. Once states have to spend megabucks controlling outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases the sane voters will demand it. That's what happened in California in the wake of the Disney associated outbreak.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Excuse me, but are you trying to insinuate that the reason that my Grandson has not DIED from catching the flu is because he was vaccinated???? Then tell me why when he caught the flu when his little brother was a Newborn, who COULDN'T be vaccinated, he did not give it to his brother, and KILL HIM? Must be he inherited my "superhuman genes", or maybe the fact that his Mom, despite being sick herself, was breastfeeding him? That has nothing to do with it, right?

The only way for vaccines to work is if everyone is vaccinated!!!! Same for those of us who had measles, mumps, etc., in childhood? Ever consider it might be the same for the flu as well? The flu strains can mutate an infinite number of times to not be at all recognizable to the body's immune system? I believe science is trying to work out that question right now to develop a bigger and better flu shot! Not "superhuman" but maybe a better "memory" of past infections? Of course, one would have to get SICK first and we can't have humans getting sick at all!

BTW, when you quoted that 400-500 measles deaths before the vaccines you failed to mention that was out of 4 to 5 MILLION measles infections. Put that in terms of percentages.
I am telling you that 80% of kids who died from flu were unvaccinated. Some were too young to be vaccinated, sadly. It probably did help your grandson's recovery that he was vaccinated. I can't tell you why the newborn didn't get flu. Perhaps the NB had some antibodies from mom. No, babies don't get flu antibodies from breastfeeding.

It is untrue that "The only way for vaccines to work is if everyone is vaccinated!!!!" The vaccine is for personal protection first.

It's generally thought that in the decade before measles vaccine there were probably about 4 million cases of measles a year. I'm not sure why you think 450-500 deaths (and remember that's only reported deaths, not all measles deaths) is acceptable, regardless of the percentage. Also 30% of measles patients have complications, meaning 30% of everyone b/c basically everyone got measles.

ETA: I forgot your grandson is still sick. Thanks for reminding me of that, suzy!

Old 07-02-2018, 07:00 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
This subject is so tiring. Folks, vaccinations help us all, there is truly good science on this, and if you look at history these diseases were FAR far worse then anything you get from the vaccinations. Lots of people died, were sterilized, or made deaf.

But you know what? You only have to vaccinate the kids you love. This is why I got them but my sisters didn't. (That is what I tell them at least. Its revenge for all the times they told me I was adopted)

Old 07-02-2018, 07:02 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It's generally thought that in the decade before measles vaccine there were probably about 4 million cases of measles a year. I'm not sure why you think 450-500 deaths (and remember that's only reported deaths, not all measles deaths) is acceptable, regardless of the percentage. Also 30% of measles patients have complications, meaning 30% of everyone b/c basically everyone got measles.
AKA 1.2 million a year. Every year. Do the math for those who cant comprehend that 1.2 million is more then the reported issues of vaccines by a factor of what? 100?

Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
AKA 1.2 million a year. Every year. Do the math for those who cant comprehend that 1.2 million is more then the reported issues of vaccines by a factor of what? 100?
Way more than that.

300,000 adverse effects out of a million for the disease.
1 out of a million for the vaccine.

There are no confirmed deaths from measles vaccine.

Anti-vax measles claim misinterprets data | PolitiFact Georgia

Old 07-02-2018, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Those children who are vaccinated grow up to be adults who are still part of the immune herd. Most childhood vaccines do not require adult boosters.

If herd immunity collapses, expect to see states get tougher with adult immunization requirements. Once states have to spend megabucks controlling outbreaks of vaccine-preventable diseases the sane voters will demand it. That's what happened in California in the wake of the Disney associated outbreak.
Also, expect to see outbreaks of long-forgotten diseases, such as diphtheria in the newly independent states after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/4/4/98-0404_article

Old 07-03-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
My husband had the flu and pneumonia last June despite being fully vaccinated. "They don't always work", to quote his doctor.

Believe in them, get them, if you wish, but leave the rest of us alone. I haven't had the flu in decades, or pneumonia ever, despite not being vaccinated, and being around a lot of people with them.

Marketing 101. Fear SELLS.

Which flu virus did he have? He was tested, wasn't he, in order to know that he had influenza and not some other illness? Was it a strain covered by the vaccine or not?

Which bacteria caused his pneumonia? Was it one covered by the vaccine he took or not?

No one cares whether you use vaccines or not. No one will ever make you take a vaccine if you do not want it. Why do you feel compelled to try to persuade other people to not vaccinate?

What relevance does your personal experience have to the rest of the world?

Old 07-05-2018, 08:35 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Which flu virus did he have? He was tested, wasn't he, in order to know that he had influenza and not some other illness? Was it a strain covered by the vaccine or not?

Which bacteria caused his pneumonia? Was it one covered by the vaccine he took or not?

No one cares whether you use vaccines or not. No one will ever make you take a vaccine if you do not want it. Why do you feel compelled to try to persuade other people to not vaccinate?

What relevance does your personal experience have to the rest of the world?
You do. You care VERY much if people refuse vaccines, as per your thousands of posts trying to convince people that they don't love their families and friends if they don't get them.

A friend had their kids sent home from school because they weren't "up to date." They actually were, the school screwed up the paperwork .... but the kids were SENT HOME. DCF was called. DCF called my friend. Really??? Over a "late" vaccine??? In a state where vaccines are supposedly not mandatory? I told her she should have sued the school. They had no right kicking the kids out and calling DCF. I mean, are you KIDDING ME????

And people are losing their JOBS over it. You don't call that mandatory? My neighbor is a nurse and has been able to avoid the flu shot until this year. This year they made it mandatory. Get the shot or lose your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies