Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 05:05 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,141,179 times

Advertisements

Trump, as we know, likes to brag incessantly about himself, often erroneously - although sometimes it's hard to tell if he's deliberately lying or just truly ignorant. Still, if he's ignorant, how is it that his staff doesn't step in?

Trump bragged, at one of his preening, self-aggrandizing rallies, in Wisconsin, that he was the first Republican to win the state since Eisenhower in 1952.

Wrong.

It was won by Republicans:
- in 1956, with Eisenhower
- in 1968 and 1972, with Nixon
- in 1980 and 1984, with Reagan

And he's reportedly repeated it, even after being outed in the media. So, what do you think: ignorant or lying? It's not as if he missed one item - it's five separate elections.

Bob Abrams in Chicago just termed him a pathological liar.
Donald Trump is the first Republican to win Wisconsin since Dwight Eisenhower in 1952 | The Chicago Board of Tirade
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 05:07 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Saw this too. There's a difference between a lie and incorrect information though. Lie is intent. Can't tell if he heard the information from someone else and assumed its true without doing research. Who knows?

Old 06-30-2018, 05:15 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
If you keep lying after it's been pointed out to you, you are ignorant, lying, a con man, and crazy. I think he may be losing his marbles. He may be forgetting that he was told this. I know someone who believes the first thing he was told or knows what he knows and that's it and it's hard for him to understand new correct facts. Such as thinking that a cold needs antibiotics when colds are viruses and antibiotics work for bacterial infections. that person swears that antibiotics cures their cold.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:19 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Without having actually heard the speech myself, I can not say for sure that the president actually made this claim. However, if he did, there should be no one on this thread defending the statement or trying to twist it around to somehow be true. Because it just isn't true. He is the first to win the state in a presidential election since 1984, but definitely not since 1952. The state went Republican several times after 1952. So, while I can't say for sure he actually said this, because I haven't heard the speech, I can say for sure that if he did make this claim he was lying, plain and simple.

https://www.270towin.com/states/Wisconsin

Old 06-30-2018, 05:23 PM

26,564 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Without having actually heard the speech myself, I can not say for sure that the president actually made this claim. However, if he did, .....
“When we won the state of Wisconsin, it hadn’t been won by a Republican since Dwight D. Eisenhower.”
President Trump, at an event in Mount Pleasant, Wis., on Thursday

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/u...election-.html

Old 06-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you keep lying after it's been pointed out to you, you are ignorant, lying, a con man, and crazy. I think he may be losing his marbles. He may be forgetting that he was told this. I know someone who believes the first thing he was told or knows what he knows and that's it and it's hard for him to understand new correct facts. Such as thinking that a cold needs antibiotics when colds are viruses and antibiotics work for bacterial infections. that person swears that antibiotics cures their cold.
Actually, if you keep spreading false information after you have been told your information is incorrect then you can no longer claim ignorance. Ignorant means you simply lack knowledge or information about a certain subject. But if the president has already been told he is wrong about this, then his continued spreading of false information can no longer be chalked up to ignorance. And since I don't think he's lost his mind, I'd have to say he's willfully lying about it.

Does the lie really matter that much in the grander scheme of things?...not really. But one thing I can't stand is for someone to straight up lie to my face, so if I had been present at this speech and been told this nonsense, I would be pretty p'od. That is, if he actually said what is being claimed he said. I haven't heard the speech so I can't say for sure that he said this at all. Just saying, I don't like to make calls until I have all the information. I'll probably try to "google it" later and see for myself.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Saw this too. There's a difference between a lie and incorrect information though. Lie is intent. Can't tell if he heard the information from someone else and assumed its true without doing research. Who knows?
Exactly. But then if the information is incorrect, well, a normal person would publicly apologize, laugh it off, and retract, and then fire the staffer. And why is he repeating the lie after it's exposed?

Old 06-30-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
“When we won the state of Wisconsin, it hadn’t been won by a Republican since Dwight D. Eisenhower.”
President Trump, at an event in Mount Pleasant, Wis., on Thursday

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/28/u...election-.html
Okay then. Looks like he's just lying about it then.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:32 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Exactly. But then if the information is incorrect, well, a normal person would publicly apologize, laugh it off, and retract, and then fire the staffer. And why is he repeating the lie after it's exposed?
See post #3 for the answer to that question.

Old 06-30-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Actually, if you keep spreading false information after you have been told your information is incorrect then you can no longer claim ignorance. Ignorant means you simply lack knowledge or information about a certain subject. But if the president has already been told he is wrong about this, then his continued spreading of false information can no longer be chalked up to ignorance. And since I don't think he's lost his mind, I'd have to say he's willfully lying about it.

Does the lie really matter that much in the grander scheme of things?...not really. But one thing I can't stand is for someone to straight up lie to my face, so if I had been present at this speech and been told this nonsense, I would be pretty p'od. That is, if he actually said what is being claimed he said. I haven't heard the speech so I can't say for sure that he said this at all. Just saying, I don't like to make calls until I have all the information. I'll probably try to "google it" later and see for myself.

Any individual lie, or mistake, probably wouldn't matter. But in Trump's case, the avalanche of lies indicates either an utter contempt for the public or an utter contempt for the truth. Or both. Most people would dump any friend or employee who lied incessantly.

I might admire your caution, but when the New York Times and The Hill and Politifact all quote him, I think we can be pretty sure it's true. As it happens, I saw the clip on television. Many people do, in fact, think that Trump is losing his mind, in terms of dementia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies