Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,453,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Why are liberals so intolerant of opposing views? I think it comes down to ego. In general liberals consider themselves the smartest, most enlightened people in the room. Just ask them and they'll tell you how liberals are more educated and smarter than the average American. They can't tolerate an opposing view because it causes them to question their most fundamental beliefs about themselves. They could be wrong. And if they are wrong, then they have to consider they might not be the smartest person in the room. Their egos can't take it.

That's partly why they pull the "racist, bigot, hater" card so often. Just declare anyone who disagrees with you a racist and then you don't have to actually consider anything they say. It instantly discredits both the person and anything they say. You "win" the debate without actually having to debate it.
I won't dare apply this profile to EVERYONE, but it describes in accurate detail my own in-laws, and their friends and colleagues.

In-laws are both Reed College grads, college professors, and professional elitists. They and their friends and colleagues share an impenetrable sense of elitism about every topic of discussion. Their disdain runs particularly deep for any colleagues or family of a conservative persuasion no matter how illustrious their resume and credentials. They are so unbelievably open with their prejudice against ANYBODY who doesn't identify with them in every way.

I'm from a liberal family myself, but the difference in attitudes is just astonishing. And really, quite repugnant. Unfortunately, I know too many academics with the same elitist attitude. It certainly seems to be a common trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 10:58 AM

15,794 posts, read 6,208,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
I won't dare apply this profile to EVERYONE, but it describes in accurate detail my own in-laws, and their friends and colleagues.

In-laws are both Reed College grads, college professors, and professional elitists. They and their friends and colleagues share an impenetrable sense of elitism about every topic of discussion. Their disdain runs particularly deep for any colleagues or family of a conservative persuasion no matter how illustrious their resume and credentials. They are so unbelievably open with their prejudice against ANYBODY who doesn't identify with them in every way.

I'm from a liberal family myself, but the difference in attitudes is just astonishing. And really, quite repugnant. Unfortunately, I know too many academics with the same elitist attitude. It certainly seems to be a common trait.
That trait is part of being human; it's not just for liberals.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:05 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,447,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Are you suggesting that the civil rights movement didn't drive southern racist to switch parties?
The South's congresional delegation cintinued to be solid Democrat until the 1990s.

You should learn your history and stop mindlessly bleeting out talking points that are dihonestly contrived and not backed up by actual facts and reality.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Although conservatives and liberals are fundamentally different, hints are emerging about how to bring them together—or at least help them coexist. In his recent book The Righteous Mind, psychologist Jonathan Haidt of the N.Y.U. Stern School of Business argues that liberals and conservatives need not revile one another as immoral on issues such as birth control, gay marriage or health care reform. Even if these two worldviews clash, they are equally grounded in ethics, he writes.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...olitical-wars/

When I clash with a conservative I just need to figure out which ethics they are espousing. I do seem to have the same ethics as they do I just express it in a different way because I perceive the situation differently.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,251,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The South's congresional delegation cintinued to be solid Democrat until the 1990s.

You should learn your history and stop mindlessly bleeting out talking points that are dihonestly contrived and not backed up by actual facts and reality.
Ahh! Way to dodge my question and throw in a few gratuitous insults!

Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Great video on how to talk to people with opposing views

https://bigthink.com/videos/dan-shap...political-ones

Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That trait is part of being human; it's not just for liberals.
... and yet liberals have made academic elitism a proud facet of their overall personality. To deny this is to admit that you aren't paying much attention.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
... and yet liberals have made academic elitism a proud facet of their overall personality. To deny this is to admit that you aren't paying much attention.
Then I guess I'm not paying much attention.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:21 AM

8,385 posts, read 6,751,504 times
I’m always amazed how many how many of these Right Wing posts are simply begging the question fallacies. Arguing in circles.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Then I guess I'm not paying much attention.
The next time you hear a liberal railing against an opposing idea as coming from an "uneducated" person, despite knowing nothing of that person's educational background, or hear a liberal making the assumption that a demographic area of the country is "uneducated", despite available demographics that dictate otherwise, or hear a liberal latching on their new hotness -science - and accuse others of not believing in it despite knowing nothing of that person's educational background, and more humorously, having no formal education in science themselves, it might pop into your head that there is after all something to the claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies