Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2018, 02:42 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Yep. He's not my president, and he's a lying, cheating, bigoted scumbag - and that's BEFORE one factors his crazy, right-wing politics into the matter. Trump would be disgusting without the support of the far-right, and all the Trumpers who love him now would have not trusted him with their money, house, or wife before he ran for office as "one of theirs" and spewed the nonsense they so love. Pathetic!
Here, hope this helps you

A Guide To Relinquishing or Renouncing U.S. Citizenship – RenunciationGuide.com | Because, U.S. citizenship is a problem to be solved

Old 07-01-2018, 02:44 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Decided to fly the US flag along with a rainbow flag that I forgot I had. It was given to me by my now deceased gay neighbor. Hank was a die-hard Dem, a Vietnam Vet and a gay police officer. I will fly both flags in his memory.
I think that’s a good decision, OP.

By the way, I totally get why you’d have reservations about the flag, all things considered. In the end, it’s a personal choice. It’s your choice.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
We are in the US this week. However we have decided not to fly a flag on the 4th as we do not want it to be be interpreted in any way as support for trump.

Anyone else share this dilemma?
I don't really see how the flag represents Trump. If you consider yourself patriotic and believe in American ideals, it makes sense to fly the flag regardless of who is president. Just my take on it.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:48 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler123 View Post
america is not trump, so it's fine to fly the flag to support the nation vs. The mob's champion who happens to be desecrating the white house.

By the same token, assuming somebody not flying the flag is "not being patriotic" is also ridiculous since part of the whole point of america is freedom, which includes the freedom to not be forced to participate in various "patriotic" displays. Once patriotism is forced, it turns into nothing but jingoism and freedom is lost. Same idea with the goofballs who think people should be required to stand during the anthem or be punished... Yeah, stand and salute freedom, or else! Talk about not having any clue what freedom actually is.

As for trump, he'll pass, like many terrible things do, into history, and he and his supporters will be judged by the ages accordingly. Eventually, sanity will return and the trump years will be remembered for being the bitter, ignorant, spite-filled hangover that they are.

x1,000,000

Old 07-01-2018, 02:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
nope, but I bet there are a few countries that'd welcome you if you aren't happy here.
We spend 90% of our time in Mexico where we have permanent residency (green cards). Still own a home in US. Will be eligible for dual citizenship in 3+ years. Will not renounce US citizenship because of the financial cost (expat departure tax).

Old 07-01-2018, 02:52 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times
" Why I Won't Fly a Flag This 4th of July"

Not sure why I should care what you do, lmao.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:52 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't really see how the flag represents Trump. If you consider yourself patriotic and believe in American ideals, it makes sense to fly the flag regardless of who is president. Just my take on it.

Exactly! The flag represents our country not the president per se. I didn't like Obama but I certainly flew our country's flag on the 4th of July and in fact all year round when he was president. Lefty loonies never cease to amaze me.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:09 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Oh really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe6bhbbwjzU

Old 07-01-2018, 03:10 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
We spend 90% of our time in Mexico where we have permanent residency (green cards). Still own a home in US. Will be eligible for dual citizenship in 3+ years. Will not renounce US citizenship because of the financial cost (expat departure tax).
Curious. If you happened to be in Mexico on one of their "patriotic" observances would you fly the Mexican flag? Do you fly the US flag on a US observance while in Mexico? Their flag on a Mexican observance while in the US? Why or why not? Maybe worth a thought. Loyalty to national ideals is different than getting a break on your taxes.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-01-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 03:23 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Curious. If you happened to be in Mexico on one of their "patriotic" observances would you fly the Mexican flag? Do you fly the US flag on a US observance while in Mexico? Their flag on a Mexican observance while in the US? Why or why not? Maybe worth a thought. Loyalty to national ideals is different than getting a good financial deal.
I don't own a MXN or US flag in MX so I do not fly either there. I know expats who fly MXN flags in MX on MX holidays. I do not know any expats who fly US flags in MX (or CAN flags....most expats in our village are Canadian).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies