Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2018, 07:27 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,409,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
a. I was responding to a post by a Canadian, I am aware of that.

b. That is how you control speech thought this PC nonsense. Being offended by anything said by people you don't agree with. At least it backfired for this ex manager.
Oh wait....

https://www.cnn.com/2013/07/02/tech/...ter/index.html

Second teen spends months in jail for sarcastic video game threat | The Daily Caller

You were saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 07:35 PM

18,503 posts, read 15,431,993 times

Old 07-02-2018, 07:50 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,409,975 times
All of this farcical "superior" freedom nonsense is wearing me down:

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index

Canada in 11th spot USA in 17th.

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...country-scores

Canada scores 99 out of 100.....~ USA scores 86

Freedom around the world: The most (and least) free and tolerant countries

Canada in the number two spot with a score of 91.6 and once again USA down the list in 25th spot with a score of 77.8

It's the same story for economic freedom, and also freedom of the press.

So can we put that nonsense of the U.S. having superior freedoms in ANY area to bed once and for all.

A country that just went through paroxysms of angst over the flying of a certain flag and is having statues torn down all over the south should know a thing or two of how some symbols serve to trigger others and be far less critical and opinionated of it's very rare happenstance in a foreign country.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:54 PM

29,980 posts, read 11,568,458 times

The guy was wearing a slogan of the current US President and for you that is compatible with people making threats against others? Wow!

Old 07-02-2018, 07:59 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,218,095 times
Wow ... the gentile Canadians are getting more boisterous as they once labeled those Ugly Americans .... Being the Political forum and guess you feel the right to throw darts and claim that -- we in Canada are not like that in other forums .....

Old 07-02-2018, 08:04 PM

29,980 posts, read 11,568,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
All of this farcical "superior" freedom nonsense is wearing me down:

https://www.cato.org/human-freedom-index

Canada in 11th spot USA in 17th.

https://freedomhouse.org/report/free...country-scores

Canada scores 99 out of 100.....~ USA scores 86

Freedom around the world: The most (and least) free and tolerant countries

Canada in the number two spot with a score of 91.6 and once again USA down the list in 25th spot with a score of 77.8

It's the same story for economic freedom, and also freedom of the press.

So can we put that nonsense of the U.S. having superior freedoms in ANY area to bed once and for all.

A country that just went through paroxysms of angst over the flying of a certain flag and is having statues torn down all over the south should know a thing or two of how some symbols serve to trigger others and be far less critical and opinionated of it's very rare happenstance in a foreign country.
Apples and Oranges.

Texas and California have a larger GDP than Canada. And Texas has a smaller population. You can't compare what we would consider a state with America. We are 18 times bigger than Canada. You want a similar comparison compare Utah and Canada. Canada is 14 times bigger than Utah. Does it seem silly to compare Canada to Utah? Well its even sillier to compare Canada to America.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes I'm sure those Trudeau T-shirts must have heads exploding in the US.
Nope, just the license plates of their cars...

Old 07-03-2018, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I would have served the guy with the hat until he got obnoxious -- maybe he never would have been a problem. Tthere would need to be another reason beyond the hat. If it was an intentional one-sided provocation against the establishment or the other customers I probably would have found another reason pretty fast.

I live in a very blue part of a blue state and was at a local brewpub when two Trumpers came in and took a table and were behaving themselves (no hats, no problems). Somehow they made a comment or struck up a conversation with another patron about Trump, singing his praises. The other patron proceeded to explain in a friendly and logical fashion the error of their ways. No drama or excitement but the two Trumpers just got up, paid the bill and left. The patron was one of several there that could have disagreed with the Trumpers in much the same way. I suspect these little confrontations take place everyday in many places. I know of another case that happened in Arizona -- a red state -- where it was wrongfully assumed that everyone supported Trump. Again, it was handled cordially and didn't make the headlines or Fox News. You don't have to make a big deal out of political differences.
There's the key! <bold> The bigger question is "who really gives a damn about what happens in a Canadian restaurant to begin with"? What's next, an argument about who's Poutine recipe is correct?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:32 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,232,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
a. I was responding to a post by a Canadian, I am aware of that.

b. That is how you control speech thought this PC nonsense. Being offended by anything said by people you don't agree with. At least it backfired for this ex manager.
The manager wouldn't have been fired if MAGA boy didn't go whining like the delicate flower that he is because the bad man asked him to take his hat off. So tough these MAGA boys.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,232,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What's next, an argument about who's Poutine recipe is correct?
Them's fightin' words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies