Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Today many states do...but in some parts of the country the % of drivers with no insurance whatsoever is quite high.
Again, that would be a lot of illegal aliens. I was rear-ended on one of my motorcycles by an illegal alien (Filipino) with no driver's license and no insurance. Borrowed car that was also not insured. And he didn't speak English. The impact was so severe it bent the frame and the entire motorcycle had to be rebuilt with a new frame stamped with the same VIN. Had to order it from the manufacturer. That took weeks. It was nothing short of a miracle that the only long-term health issues I have from that accident is a paralyzed right pinkie toe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 08:20 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
No idea why people freak out over medical bills. My ex racked up $10,000 worth of hospital bills (that was after insurance paid!) and told the hospital she could only afford $75/mo. The set up a payment plan and she paid that amount every month. After two years the hospital wrote it off as a loss.
exactly. By law they have to take what you can afford. All this nonsense about people going bankrupt over them is just that...nonsense.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:27 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
exactly. By law they have to take what you can afford. All this nonsense about people going bankrupt over them is just that...nonsense.
And guess who pays the rest?

Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Exactly, just 80s 90s insurance WAS REAL INSURANCE. You had it .... no worries. All was paid. You paid TV, Phone and if you wanted a private room. Now its a game of co-pays, exclusions and plans a company you work for picks for you.

Who that once had REAL INSURANCE past decades ..... love their choices now. who thinks up these plans with differing exclusions anyway. If not for government splintered insurance poor or disabled with them can get. Or they would get charity alone or none. My father a ww2 vet had only the VA the part of his life he even sought healthcare as a must. He survived o 85 thanks to the VA system or he never would have got the care necessary. He too would have said no to most.

We surely have good care. Just how it is provided and saves and destroys financial lives is something unique to the wealthiest Nation on earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We lacked good care in he 80s, not over $, over lack of being able to treat stuff routinely treated now.

Went to wakes of people with heart trouble back then, more often than I'd like to admit.

There was a reason health care in 80s was cheap.
80s/90s care was not the greatest. My kids were born in the mid-80s. With the first child in 1984, the policy we had was negotiated by the United Mine Workers and it was pretty good, paid for just about everything during the pregnancy. The only thing not covered in the hospital was the TV. With the second in 1987, the TV was covered as a part of the hospital charge, but the policy was through a small company and there were lots of dedcutibles, co-pays and the like. There was no well-baby care coverage, or vaccination coverage for either kid like policies are required to provide now.

Back to the OP (!), I think many people's first thought in a situation is "how much will this cost"? She may have more coverage than she thinks.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:06 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
And yet.

When we think about consumer debt, we tend to point a finger at folks for whom shopping sprees are a way of life. But the real reason a large number of Americans wind up in financial trouble has nothing to do with self-indulgence or an inability to resist temptation. Rather, it's a matter of medical debt.........

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...tcy/101148136/

Old 07-06-2018, 03:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's really sad that you seem to think that people being able to go see a doctor when they need to is a waste of money.
The point is the fact government wastes all kinds of money is not a valid argument for spending money elsewhere. Make a case for your health care ideas on their own merits.

We waste a lot of money on healthcare. I don’t think anyone disagrees with that.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The point is the fact government wastes all kinds of money is not a valid argument for spending money elsewhere. Make a case for your health care ideas on their own merits.

We waste a lot of money on healthcare. I don’t think anyone disagrees with that.
You called it a waste of money. We do waste money but helping others here is not a waste of money.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:47 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I realize it costs a lot of money for these things, but the last thing on my mind if I'm badly injured is not wanting an EMT to assess my injuries and transport me to the hospital.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...etter#comments
We've been trying to tell you. Our healthcare insurance premiums AND deductibles skyrocketed because of Obamacare, Obamacare did absolutely nothing for costs. We now pay a crazy amount more but we are afraid to use the insurance we are paying for.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's really sad that you seem to think that people being able to go see a doctor when they need to is a waste of money.
http://www.live5news/woman-using-ambulance-for-taxi-service

A South Carolina woman called 911 at least 100 times in the past 7 years to get rides into Charleston. Audrey Ferguson, faked illnesses and would immediately sign out of area hospitals upon arrival, telling doctors she was fine. Each of Ferguson’s trips cost $425 plus mileage, and officials say taxpayers may have to pay a bill of more than $400,000 to cover expenses that aren’t covered by Medicaid.

How about this woman who faked a pregnancy and being ill to get a ride to a Westmoreland County hospital, which is in her hometown.

I worked in healthcare and it was always people on medicaid.... someone else footing the bill, who came in for the dumbest things and abuse the healthcare system and the tax payer.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
http://www.live5news/woman-using-ambulance-for-taxi-service

A South Carolina woman called 911 at least 100 times in the past 7 years to get rides into Charleston. Audrey Ferguson, faked illnesses and would immediately sign out of area hospitals upon arrival, telling doctors she was fine. Each of Ferguson’s trips cost $425 plus mileage, and officials say taxpayers may have to pay a bill of more than $400,000 to cover expenses that aren’t covered by Medicaid.

How about this woman who faked a pregnancy and being ill to get a ride to a Westmoreland County hospital, which is in her hometown.

I worked in healthcare and it was always people on medicaid.... someone else footing the bill, who came in for the dumbest things and abuse the healthcare system and the tax payer.
They knew what she was doing but yet continued to give her a ride. Why? They knew that even though it was fraudulent, they would still get paid. She needs arrested and the funds paid for those rides need to be reimbursed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies