Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 07:49 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,092,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Well...if you ever even attempted to explain why that is, I've missed it. The only thing I've seen you do is make arguments about why global warming might not be caused by humanity, and many of those suggestions I've seen have been more or less refuted. I could certainly understand skepticism...but you're not skeptical. You're confident that human-made global warming is fiction, and that completely baffles me.
Water vapor causes more harm than CO2 ever could, but the problem is there's no boogie-man; no one to blame.

The IPCC publishes socio-economic data-sets, but refuses to make public its temperature data-sets.

That's academically dishonest.

Quote:
Evolution doesn't have anything to do with improving the species.
Of course it does. Evolution is the reason why some species adapted and survived, while others went extinct.

Quote:
Also, from what I've read H20 is more of a heat-trapper than C02...but that's only because there's more of it. One molecule of C02 traps more heat than one molecule of H20.
No, H2O is the biggest driver of climate, and more powerful than CO2.

CO2 only absorbs at 2.7 microns, 4.3 microns and 15 microns, but only the 4.3 and 15 micron bands exist on Earth. We'll apply Wien's Law to both.

Wien's Law T (Temperature) = b / wavelength in micrometers, where "b" is a constant equal to 2,900 um-K.

T = 2,900 um-K / 15 um = 193°K = -112°F

T = 2,900 um-K / 4.3 um = 673.9°K = 753°F

What we can infer from science is that 4.3 microns has far greater energy than 15 microns, but there are significantly few emissions from Black Body Radiation on Earth at the 4.3 micron level.

Water Vapor absorbs at about 6 microns, and then everything from 15 microns to 100 microns.

The energy from 1 Water Vapor molecule does far more damage than 1 CO2 molecule.

That was confirmed by NASA:

Water Vapor Confirmed as Major Player in Climate Change

"This study confirms that what was predicted by the models is really happening in the atmosphere," said Eric Fetzer, an atmospheric scientist who works with AIRS data at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "Water vapor is the big player in the atmosphere as far as climate is concerned."

https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/fe...r_warming.html

The problem with Water Vapor is there is no boogie-man to blame.

Quote:
So, first of all, if they ignored every temperature reader in urban environments, they'd lose a lot of data.
They'd lose a lot of bad data. Bad data is exactly that: bad data.

The United States has 3.7 Million square miles of land.

This morning the US Bureau of the Census released data for urban areas in the United States. The urban population of the US rose to 249.3 million in 2010, out of a total population of 308.7 million. Urbanization covered 106,000 square miles, representing 3.0 percent of the US land mass.

If they can't gather data from the other 97% of the US, while ignoring the 3% of bad data, then it's because they don't want to.

Quote:
If you find actual evidence of widely respected groups of climatologists like NASA and the IPCC lying about climate change, I'd certainly be interested in seeing that, but until I see that, I'm going to see no reason not to assume they're generally telling the truth.
Again, the IPCC publishes socio-economic data-sets, which aren't even science, but refuses to publish its temperature data-sets.

In 1952, Miller and Urey designed an experiment to simulate Earth's atmosphere and prove how amino acids could form, but nearly 70 years, the IPCC can't design an experiment to prove their hypothesis of global warming.

Quote:
Unless you know of any specific one that's likely on a collision course with Earth now, I'd question that.
No one can know if one is specifically on a collision course with Earth, until it is in close proximity with Earth.

The periodicity of impacts on Earth has decreased over time, because the supply of impactors has decreased over the same time period, having impacted with Earth, Earth's Moon, all of the planets and their moons.

Looking through the largest Earth-based telescope, Jupiter and Saturn appear washed-out, Uranus and Neptune appear black and white, and Pluto is a charcoal-grey blob. It wasn't until the late 1970s when Voyager passed by Uranus and Neptune that we discovered what color Uranus and Neptune actually were and we could actually see the brilliant colors of Jupiter and Saturn.

You can only see those celestial bodies that reflect light, and asteroids smaller than the moons of Jupiter and Saturn don't reflect light until they're close to the Sun, and that means they typically have to pass through the Asteroid Belt before they are seen, and by then, it's too late.

The asteroid/meteor that created Meteor Crater in Arizona wouldn't have been seen until it entered Earth's atmosphere.

There are 10s of thousands of asteroids with orbital periods of 100 to 75,000 years that we don't even know about. There are 10s of thousands of comets, like Kohoutek, with orbital periods up to 75,000 years that we don't know about yet.

18,445 NEOs have been discovered: 107 near-Earth comets and 18,338 near-Earth asteroids.

That doesn't include that orbit between the Asteroid Belt and the Sun, or between Jupiter and the Sun, and those on the outer reaches of the Solar System.

Quote:
I think I remember someone saying something about being able to trace our DNA back to about 70,000 years ago or so when the total human population might have numbered under 1,000 people.
That's a failed theory known as the Toba Bottleneck based on the flawed assumption that the Toba Eruption nearly caused humans to become extinct.

Quote:
Well, your exact statement was:

Cut-off government funding. It there's any truth, then the private sector will pick up the tab.

That means less research grants, and therefore less research.
It means less tax-payer funded research.

If there's anything to global warming, then the private sector will pick up the tab. Bill Gates and George Soros can fund it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,042,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And it includes Urban Heat Islands, which are statistical outliers.

There's a 133% difference between 0.15°C and 0.35°C.

Obviously, the IPCC over-stated the effects.

Scientists don't even understand why Inter-Glacial Periods occur. The fact that some Inter-Glacial Periods coincide with the Milankovitch Cycle is not proof the Cycle causes Inter-Glacial Periods.

Seven of the eight prior documented Inter-Glacial Periods were warmer-than-present.

The reason the seventh wasn't warmer-than-present is because it was a very short Inter-Glacial Period, and scientists have no clue why it was cut short.

Initiation and long-term instability of the East Antarctic Ice Sheet

Geological records from the Sabrina Coast shelf indicate that, in addition to ocean temperature, atmospheric temperature and surface-derived meltwater influenced East Antarctic ice mass balance under warmer-than-present climate conditions. Our results imply a dynamic EAIS response with continued anthropogenic warming and suggest that the EAIS contribution to future global sea-level projections may be under-estimated.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature25026

Again, by their own admission, past Inter-Glacial Periods were warmer-than-present, and that study covers dozens and dozens of past Inter-Glacial Periods.

Why were temperatures in past Inter-Glacial Periods warmer-than-present?

Scientists have no explanation, and in fact, choose to ignore it.

The last Inter-Glacial Period was 10.4°F warmer-than-present. That's 5.7°C warmer-than-present.

5.7°C is 16 times greater than 0.35°C, and it's perfectly reasonable, even likely, that this Inter-Glacial Period will be 5.7°C warmer-than-present. The Inter-Glacial Period prior to the last was 7.8°F warmer-than-present, or 4.3°C, which is still 12 times greater than 0.35°C.

The globe has been warming for the last 12,000 years.
Wow, there is so much wrong with this post I hardly know where to start, so I won't as you'll just ignore or deny what I post anyway like you ignored this link that I posted on the last page. https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...ately%E2%80%9D

Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,460,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Wow, there is so much wrong with this post I hardly know where to start, so I won't as you'll just ignore or deny what I post anyway like you ignored this link that I posted on the last page. https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...ately%E2%80%9D
A wall of junk science, meant to obfuscate. A well worn tactic on this forum, and quite effective, I might add.

In a previous post he was talking about the earth's atmosphere 100 million years ago, when man has been around for 2.9 million years. His correlation was as intentionally opaque as all his posts.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 PM

38,622 posts, read 26,292,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
That's because scientifically illiterate conservatives have morphed a purely scientific argument (that they do not understand) into an economic, or political, argument (which they think they understand, and clearly do not, because it is rooted in a false narrative.)

Their sources for their skepticism? People like Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News, and various Republicans in Congress, all bought and paid for by the energy lobby.

Warmers claim an untestable, unfalsifiable hypothesis is settled science.

They also make wild claims about record temperatures even though there is no real temperature record predating the satellite era and the modeled surface temperature (GHCNv3) currently used to support these claims is a ridiculous ****ing fairy tale.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:39 PM

33,511 posts, read 37,042,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Warmers claim an untestable, unfalsifiable hypothesis is settled science.

They also make wild claims about record temperatures even though there is no real temperature record predating the satellite era and the modeled surface temperature (GHCNv3) currently used to support these claims is a ridiculous ****ing fairy tale.
Mercury thermometers invented in 1714 are still more accurate than today's thermometers. The global temperature record began in 1850.

Global warming not only testable but it is directly (Rising land and ocean temperatures) and indirectly (Ice melt and rising sea levels) observable.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:25 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,127,242 times
While we sit around and debate the issue the world is burning
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.IvWHdFaDpOw

Old 07-25-2018, 07:31 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,000,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Mercury thermometers invented in 1714 are still more accurate than today's thermometers. The global temperature record began in 1850.

Global warming not only testable but it is directly (Rising land and ocean temperatures) and indirectly (Ice melt and rising sea levels) observable.
Utter nonsense. There was no global coverage or accuracy in 1850. That started in the mid 1900s at best. And even if it started in 1850, that would not be nearly enough time to establish trends. You need thousands of years for reliable statistical evidence.

You might want to introspect about your emotional commitment to AGW. Emotions sometimes render judgment worthless.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While we sit around and debate the issue the world is burning
https://www.google.ca/search?source=....0.IvWHdFaDpOw

Of course. Every time there is a storm or a fire, it is now emergency emergency AGW AGW emergency emergency.

No storm or fire or adverse weather can go unconnected to AGW. It's a hustle, and fortunately more people are starting to realize it.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:40 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,460,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Of course. Every time there is a storm or a fire, it is now emergency emergency AGW AGW emergency emergency.

No storm or fire or adverse weather can go unconnected to AGW. It's a hustle, and fortunately more people are starting to realize it.
People are starting to realize, alright, especially in the western United States, where the mercury is going to places rarely seen, droughts worsen and fires rage.

Only the zealots continue to tell themselves their eyes are lying.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
People are starting to realize, alright, especially in the western United States, where the mercury is going to places rarely seen, droughts worsen and fires rage.

Only the zealots continue to tell themselves their eyes are lying.
Good, you still don't get to steal stuff. When you want to consider rational persuasion and voluntary actions, call me. Until then, the whole planet can flood and burn. Better dead then red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies