Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:53 PM

57,220 posts, read 26,166,435 times

Advertisements

We will see how effective in the next several months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 09:01 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you assume there is no plan, but since you are not part of the administration, you are not privy to what trump is working on now are you? but even at this point there are still more jobs open than people to fill them.
Not even Trump knows what the plan is. That's what Americans get when they hire an impulsive ill informed man for POTUS.

Old 07-04-2018, 09:10 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The process is still working. Trump is taking a risk, but the process is not done yet.
First of, Trump isn't the one taking the risk. Americans and America's businesses ARE the ones taking the risk here.

Second, how much sacrifice should we make while this 'process' is underway? Are we expected to lose our job, our business, our job, our 401k, or even our health...?

Seriously though, the trade war is just starting and people are already losing jobs and businesses starting to suffer.... Who actually thinks this is MAGA?

Trump and his administration is playing with fire here. The only bright side is, this trade war might well be the only thing to wake America up.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:23 AM

27,132 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://www.fastcompany.com/90180122...ing-to-pile-up

Trump has NO understanding of economics or trade policies. His blanket, inane, ignorant actions are starting to cost real jobs, and cause real harm. He just doesn't get it.
This is just the appetiser, the main course is yet to come, in relaton to the EU, China and a lot of the rest of the world.

EU warns Donald Trump he risks $294bn trade tariffs reprisals - Sky News

Furthermore whilst the EU might have a 10% levy on US Cars, the US has a 25% tariff on light trucks and pick up's, which are an important part of the US Vehicle market. This tax known as the Chicken Tax foes all the way back to 1964 and Lyndon B. Johnson, so just remember tariffs and trade wars are easy to start but very difficult to stop and once tariffs are out in place they are often very difficult to get rid of.

Chicken Tax Makes Trucks Expensive and Unavailable - Foundation for Economic Education

Chicken tax - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-05-2018 at 06:38 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 06:44 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
The USA has a trade surplus with Canada, yet imposed for "national security" reasons tariffs. And the far right CATO institute says the following:
But are trade deficits necessarily bad for the U.S. economy?

The answer is no. Trade deficits are not a sign of unfair trade practices or a lack of American “competitiveness.” Trade deficits are caused by factors in the macroeconomy that are not directly related to trade. To understand why, journalists should borrow a technique from investigative reporting and “follow the money.”
https://www.cato.org/publications/co...eally-bad-news

There is a reason the US Chamber of Commerce, the auto sector, the steel sector and other trade groups have expressed concern about Trump's actions. Here is a partial list of group that are opposed:

https://www.verdict.co.uk/these-are-...umps-tech-tax/

For further reading:

https://business.financialpost.com/i...cits-arent-bad

Tell me who's smarter?
Surely not someone who posted "job loses" in the title.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:51 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Let the DOW drop 10,000 points if that's what it takes to dump trump. I will happily take the hit.
Stay down in the slump on you're frumpy old rump cause WE AINT GONNA DUMP TRUMP!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:38 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Yes, I'm sure you are soo much smarter that you have the gall someone else ignorant huh..lets see your credentials..

You can start by telling us all how a $550 billion trade deficit with China is totally a great benefit to the US..

My credentials are, I have never cheated anyone in business. I have never gone bankrupt 6 or more times, and I have never had multiple lawsuits filed against me. How does the orange wonder compare to that ?

Oh, and I also have not had numerous women come forward accusing me of sexual misconduct.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Unemployment has been dropping in a steady line since 2010. Wages have increased slightly every year for the past several years. No big change in either metric.

GDP change is in the same range it has been since 2010.

Stock market was on a steady upswing since 2010, but has plateaued the last six months.

So not much has changed with the exception of the stock market plateauing.

We are about to see what Trump's policies will bring about.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:01 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
His supporters will not admit that anything he does is wrong or harmful to America they spin everything. If Trump sinks us into an Economic depression worse than the 1930 his fans will say he did a great thing. They are just as dishonest as he is.
What they will do is blame the next President, who is tasked with cleaning up Trump's mess, rather than Trump himself.

I wish I had a penny for every time posters on here insinuated that the recession was Obama's fault, even though it started during the Bush administration.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
https://www.fastcompany.com/90180122...ing-to-pile-up

Trump has NO understanding of economics or trade policies. His blanket, inane, ignorant actions are starting to cost real jobs, and cause real harm. He just doesn't get it.
And here is some Joe Blow on the internet accusing a billionaire who built and empire and became president of the USA of having no understanding of economics or trade policy. Under this administration we have seen record low unemployment rates and an upswing in the economy.

And all this based on the sky is falling projections, threats, mights, could possibly.
If Continental nail can go under in less than 30 days due to tariffs on Mexico then they were already doomed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies