Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2018, 12:28 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Oh please. Melania is currently a US citizen and there's nothing you can do about that, so just stop with this childish retort.
So are the people who Trump is taking their citizenship away. Her getting her citizenship the way she did is at best highly questionable, and at worse, no different from those that Trump is targeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2018, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Why would anyone want "legal" immigrants? If we needed or wanted more people we would produce them ourselves.
Do you understand demographics and economics at all? Your statement seems to indicate that you have no idea of either.

Old 07-13-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Sorry that you disagree with the reasons for stripping people of their US citizenship. Well...I'm not really sorry if you are upset. It's not your problem anyway, is it? You are Canadian.
So you would have no problem with Melania Trump and her parents losing their citizenship for the same reasons, right??

Quote:
You apparently didn't know that the Amerindian tribes were often at war with one another, did you?
Some where. So what. They settled things just like in Europe. That doesn't take away the fact that a genocide was government policy to dominate the land.

Quote:
You also can't compare immigration to the US 100 years ago to immigration today. Things were different 100 years ago. We had lots of room to expand plus there was no welfare. Both Americans and immigrants knew that it was sink or swim. Also, we were largely an agrarian and industrial society. Many Americans and immigrants were illiterate but could easily find work.
And maybe because they were white it was different right?

Quote:
Did you also know that there were some who came through Ellis Island who weren't allowed to stay? They were put right back on the boat that brought them here.
Some. Unlike now, when the vast majority are turned back. And back then, families were not split like the heartless policy that exists now.

Quote:
Oh...BTW, The New Yorker article title told me all I needed to know that it wasn't worth reading. No one who is naturalized has a guarantee of permanence.
In other words, you professed proudly your willful ignorance.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
So are the people who Trump is taking their citizenship away. Her getting her citizenship the way she did is at best highly questionable, and at worse, no different from those that Trump is targeting.
Whose citizenship is Trump revoking? You realize that being a citizen, being an immigrant, and being an illegal alien are three different things? And you realize that someone who comes here on modeling jobs then marries a citizen is different than undercutting wages for working class Americans and either working for cash or working on a stolen social security number? We also didn't need to put up Slovenian signs and hire Slovenian translators at every turn to accommodate Melania.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:26 AM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
So you would have no problem with Melania Trump and her parents losing their citizenship for the same reasons, right??

Some where. So what. They settled things just like in Europe. That doesn't take away the fact that a genocide was government policy to dominate the land.

And maybe because they were white it was different right?

Some. Unlike now, when the vast majority are turned back. And back then, families were not split like the heartless policy that exists now.

In other words, you professed proudly your willful ignorance.
Oh...wow...Where to begin.

Why would Melania and her parents lose their US citizenship? Do tell.

Once again, name one country in the world that was never conquered during its history. You won't be able to do it. If it upsets you so much, then plan a world tour where you visit the graves of the conquerors and yell at them.

"And maybe because they were white it was different right?" What a racist and bigoted remark. Not only that but an ignorant remark. What does that have to do with things being different 100 years ago? I explained how things were different and you come back with a vile, racist and bigoted response that makes no sense at all. In other words, you don't have anything coherent to say in response. Besides, not every immigrant who arrived at Ellis Island was white. Time for you to stop showing your ignorance. Give it a rest.

BTW, families were sometimes "split" when they arrived at Ellis Island. If one family member had a contagious illness, they were separated from their family. Sometimes the ill family member was quarantined. Other times, the ill family member was sent right back on the ship that brought them here. It's clear that you don't know much about how things worked 100 years ago when immigrants arrived at Ellis Island.

I'm not the one who is "willfully ignorant". Stop projecting.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:54 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My step mom's family came here from Poland just prior to her birth in about 1917. They had a sponsor, came legally, never accepted a penny from our government and learned English from day one. I went to school with a boy from Italy. His family came over right after WW2. They opened their own, small Italian restaurant in town. He didn't speak any English. By the time he finished his first full year here he spoke English just as well as the rest of us. I can think of many more similar stories bur I think everyone gets the picture. These are the type of immigrants we all welcome.
I have a friend who came over, couldn't speak any English, she learned English, put herself thru college, and now works for a very well known firm in NYC, she also became an American Citizen. You should hear her thoughts on illegals. It is so unfair to those who worked to gain their citizenship....like slapping them in the face for doing what is right.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:56 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Wow! If it wasn't for the petty, bitter, self-aggrandizing hate involved I'd just laugh at this absurd post. What a terrible (and small minded and stupid) person one would have to be to actually believe this ridiculous ignorance.
I'm not petty, nor bitter, or self aggrandizing hate, just stating a fact...until you visit these countries, you have no idea what-so-ever, of how primitive their cultures are....
Ignorance? Instead of throwing around insults, why don't you try and counter my thoughts...with constructive reasons why I'm wrong? Lets discuss...

Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
How many of you posting on this tread actually live in small town America who has a business that employs a large percentage of illegals?

Old 07-13-2018, 10:46 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The author, originally from Mexico, is disappointed that the violence and corruption there has not abated, so his solution is to send Mexicans north. You can read about his background on his Amazon book pages:
Which will bring the violence and corruption North.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:52 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
Quote:
As I've stated earlier, they did not commit a genocide on any indigenous people.
Considering that they didn't have paper nor non-pictographic witing, you don't know what they encountered when they arrived.

Quote:
Yes, I highly suspected you would react to that in the way you did. Of course, Sierra Leone is where a large number of slaves where shipped to the USA, and if you don't think they had a large part to do with building the country and especially small towns, you don't know your history at all or you are willfully ignorant of it.
You can keep your black towns black. All better?

Quote:
The Swedes and Norwegians would disagree. Many towns that are now cities were small when the first wave of immigrants came over.
Oh, please. Swedes and Norwegians are Germanic. Excuse me from excluding their specific minority presence in this nation, mostly holed up in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and the Dakotas. I'll do you one better, since you insist on naming all Germanic peoples, and include the Dutch in Iowa.

Quote:
You seem to forget that Mexicans played a huge amount in the development of the Southwest, including Texas.
But not elsewhere. Their presence in Texas does not warrant their replacement of others elsewhere.

Quote:
Do your talking points come from Limbaugh or Hannity?
Are you capable of making points or do your arguments all involve strawmen? Rhetorical question.

Replacement is replacement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies