Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Ah yes, the great American food shortage until 2005. The 1980s were particularly rough, there were only two McDonalds in a mile radius and no Starbucks double whipped unicorn frappacinos. It was... hard.
My point is, it was considered greedy to eat more than one plate of food or to snack.

While sleeping over at friends' houses overnight or longer growing up as a kid, I was almost always hungry because everyone was served a moderate portion of food (eg, 1 bowl of cereal for breakfast, 1 pb&j sandwich with a fun size bag of chips for lunch, 1 slice of pizza for dinner), and asking for more or asking for food in between meals was simply frowned upon. It just wasn't done.

Obviously I quickly learned to bring plenty of my own food (though even then I'd get the side eye from the parents for being so obsessed with food), but it was just culturally different even then, in the 90s.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You'd be surprised how many people with SNAP benefits also have jobs.

Oh yes, I know. I recall going to apply for food stamps the only time in my life that I did after a hurricane caused power outage and we lost our food they would replace our food. They gave me 34 dollars. Period. When I first pulled up to park a young woman was getting out of a new car, loaded down with jewelry, coiffed hair and went in to apply. She had to be working to live like that or else she was milking the system 50 ways to Sunday.

I have also seen it in the grocery store, so believe me I know that fraud exists.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
The body-positivity people can be a contributing factor to the stereotypical image of a fat American.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I think it depends on the outdoor terrain.

I previously lived in SF Bay Area, in mountain towns in California and Nevada, and in Newport Beach, California. In those areas I found the part of your post that I bolded to be true.

I now live in the Houston metro (Houston, Texas). Houston is largely, at least where there are really any significant numbers of people, flat as a pancake. The city alone encompasses over 600 square miles. In this metro I see quite a few obese people out walking, or pushing themselves...trying to 'lose it'.

I have yet to make it to your great country, but quite a few family members and friends have raved about it to me, and I look forward to my eventual visit .
Yep, that is true, and there certainly are people out there making a effort to keep in shape. I don't buy into the food desert argument though - it does seem quite absurd to say that people have no choice but to eat takeaway food, and that they are somehow stranded from good food.

Come on down. Plenty to see and do - lots of great walking.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
And I recall sematics .
Whatever that is ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I have also seen it in the grocery store, so believe me I know that fraud exists.
That little stereotype has been beaten down so many times it must be a bloody pulp by now. Try again?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:13 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It kind of is a left issue.

Per the polling. Republicans say straight up that obesity is caused by poor personal decisions (choosing to not eat right, not exercising enough). Half of Democrats say that obesity is primarily caused by genetics and or corporations not making healthy food.

Republicans put the onus on the individual's choice to gorge themselves with twinkies and mountain dew. Too many Democrats look for boogeymen to point the finger at - absolving individuals of the choices they make.

You also hear Democrats BS about inner city stores not selling produce...they stopped, because nobody was buying it and it went to waste costing those stores money.

Hold people accountable for their own actions.
Blue states are statistically thinner than red ones.

So while the republicans may tout personal responsibility, they are certainly hypocrites about when it comes to themselves.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/160892/...hird-year.aspx

Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Whatever that is ...
Does this have anything to do with a fat girl being the best she can be?

Old 07-13-2018, 02:17 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My point is, it was considered greedy to eat more than one plate of food or to snack.

While sleeping over at friends' houses overnight or longer growing up as a kid, I was almost always hungry because everyone was served a moderate portion of food (eg, 1 bowl of cereal for breakfast, 1 pb&j sandwich with a fun size bag of chips for lunch, 1 slice of pizza for dinner), and asking for more or asking for food in between meals was simply frowned upon. It just wasn't done.

Obviously I quickly learned to bring plenty of my own food (though even then I'd get the side eye from the parents for being so obsessed with food), but it was just culturally different even then, in the 90s.

That is typically what kids eat. I have a 15 year old. He has one bowl of cereal, one sandwich, one maybe two slices of pizza (not all at once). It was the same for me when I was a kid. Except my friend's mom bought a variety of good sugary cereals to choose from. My mom bought cheerios and you were forbidden to put any sugar on them. I was so jealous but I loved spending the nights so I could pig out on some Count Chocula or Fruity pebbles or Apple Jacks.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:28 PM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Blue states are statistically thinner than red ones.

So while the republicans may tout personal responsibility, they are certainly hypocrites about when it comes to themselves.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/160892/...hird-year.aspx
In other words people are hypocrites. The fatties in the red states say personal responsibility while fat , while those in the blue states know better and don't fatten up even though they say otherwise.

One reason could be that, in urban areas, the competition is much higher for women. Women tend to move to the urban areas leaving female skewed ratios there and male skewed ratios in the rural areas. The lack of drive and the rewards do tend to go hand and hand.

All fine by me except that I must remind people of the economics. A girl with little self control and a weight problem is going to need to compromise if she wants male company, especially long term. You'll need to settle for trade work, crowning baldness, a paunch up to his own blubbery rolls, older, less sporty vehicles , boring personalities that drone on about sports scores at the big dinner table.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
As opposed to scoring fascinating guys who drone on about people's weights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies