Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Way to go to missing my point.
Your point such as it is was clear, all whites are raaaaaacist according to your limited experiences you wrote about.
You have a notion and are clearly looking for confirmation of your own bias. Why is that I wonder, guilt maybe?

Is there racism? Certainly, on both sides IF one is being honest. As I also said there's much more than just racial bigotry it's just the others aren't "hip" or "in vogue" to bit#h about right now.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:04 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Even the most know-nothing of persons knows that an Asian is far less likely to be a criminal than he himself is. East Asians have earned a reputation as being law-biding, productive citizens. If only all ethnicities were as American as they are.
If we're going to be constantly shaming white people for the negative stereotypes against blacks at some point we have to start asking how much culpability blacks have to own up to for these stereotypes themselves. Or maybe not. Maybe we're not looking for any solutions, or what we are looking for a solution to has nothing to do with blacks.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Some white people are mistrusting of African Americans because of crime statistics, and crimes they see reported on the news. Remember when the knockout game was popular? There were lots of videos of black youth attacking (usually white) people from behind as they walked down the sidewalk. After that, many white people learned to be more aware of their surroundings, including who is walking around you.

These stories and incidents do have an impact on society. When white people are blasted with news and statistics negatively portraying the African American community, this is the result. The solution is to strengthen African American communities and encourage unity instead of racial division. When Americans start seeing their neighbors as Americans, instead of terms based on race, skin color, gender, sexual orientation, etc, things will change.

Yep it's called brain washing. I remember in the 80's some TV commercials had a wanted segment. "Have you seen this person" and it was almost always a black person for a crime. Society has been taught this for decades. There is no real way to know if the stats are fact, fiction or skewed. Portions of our society will always have an uphill battle due to the actions of the past. So much crap went on that anything good from a minority group is often questioned as well. Minority group does well in whatever it must be a quota in place or what was called affirmative action.

Our society is too far down the rabbit hole at this point for anything to not be scrutinized.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Even the most know-nothing of persons knows that an Asian is far less likely to be a criminal than he himself is. East Asians have earned a reputation as being law-biding, productive citizens. If only all ethnicities were as American as they are.
But they can't drive worth a damn,are all good at math/school and are dangerous to mess with as they are all trained in martial arts like Bruce Lee, oh, and watch your cats around 'em (if you know what I mean).
See how that works?

Old 07-06-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
Yep it's called brain washing. I remember in the 80's some TV commercials had a wanted segment. "Have you seen this person" and it was almost always a black person for a crime. Society has been taught this for decades. There is no real way to know if the stats are fact, fiction or skewed. Portions of our society will always have an uphill battle due to the actions of the past. So much crap went on that anything good from a minority group is often questioned as well. Minority group does well in whatever it must be a quota in place or what was called affirmative action.

Our society is too far down the rabbit hole at this point for anything to not be scrutinized.
The sad part is humans/society for whatever reason needs someone as the boogeyman. Race, status,criminal history,genetic/mental defects are all fair game.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:23 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Many years ago, I had a black boyfriend. At the time I lived in a predominantly white neighborhood. He came to my place all the time and I went to his all the time. One time he came over and I asked him to plant a tree with me out front. We were half way digging our hole when a cop came by. Said someone reported a suspicious person. He showed his ID and I explained to the cop that I lived there and we were just planting a tree. The cop went on his way.

When I started working in engineering, one time a there was an operation that needed precise surveying for elevations. Our surveyor was black. He was out there with his surveying equipment when a cop came by because someone reported a suspicious person.

Years later I had moved to a different company. While in the office I talked with my boss. He shared with me that many years ago he was a surveyor and while he was with a full crew playing out stations and forming up forms for a concrete pour a cop came by and asked him for his ID because someone reported a suspicious person. He was the only black guy there at the time.

I currently work with an older guy who's about to retire. The other day he told me he used to be a home inspector and one time while inspecting a property a couple cops came by asking for his ID because someone reported him.

I know there have been some high profile cases of black people doing every day things getting called on. These cases are high profile because there was a camera and social media. Just remember that for the longest time there was no cell phone cameras and social media. And not everyone makes a scene. Most people just show their ID to get it over with.

I know a lot of white people have trouble believing that cops get called on black people for doing ordinary things. Black people are too aware of this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We as African Americans appreciate it when others take note of the obvious without trying to make it seem like we bring it on ourselves.

That having been said, such truth is not going to create any converts. Racist people and conservatives, which are not always synonymous, have mantras and beliefs that can only be maintained under the premise of black inherent inferiority. If blacks are not inherently inferior, then there reasoning and beliefs would have no foundation on which to stand. Ergo, black being unequal, socioeconomically, cannot be seen as the result/aftermath/consequence/reaction/legacy/etc, of being treated unequally historically, but rather, the result/consequence of being inherently inferior.

Hence, no matter if you present studies, personal experiences, etc, history.......regardless of how clear the evidence and argument of discrimination and abused BASED/MOTIVATED by race, it will be seen as an excuse to cover up our inherent inferiority. I mean, today nothing done against black people is due to race or racism. It can't be because that would make liberals "right" and a conservative cannot give a liberal that ground. It can't be because a racist needs to see blacks as inferior and hence their mistreatment being justified by their inferior nature.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:28 AM

10,456 posts, read 4,038,191 times
Quote:
Sad but true. But they call them for something a lot of the time, too.

I think it will always be a part of the equation. When someone who doesn't look like the neighbors is hanging around, someone will call the cops. Could be black, Mexican, etc. Even someone dressed weirdly or acting bizarrely, even if they're actually harmless.

There's a flip side to this, too. In black neighborhoods, no one calls the cops. Not even the victims. Here, 4 people were shot the other night and not one of them would cooperate with the cops. So their attacker(s) is still at loose, destroying the neighborhood, shooting, stabbing, robbing.

Whether to err on the side of safety or give the benefit of the doubt is a tough call for most, I think.
The hood and other urban communities are pretty much the modern day Mafia neighborhoods, where if people learned that you were a snitch, then there would be retaliation. I don't blame people for not wanting to come forward with something.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:30 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Your point such as it is was clear, all whites are raaaaaacist according to your limited experiences you wrote about.
You have a notion and are clearly looking for confirmation of your own bias. Why is that I wonder, guilt maybe?

Is there racism? Certainly, on both sides IF one is being honest. As I also said there's much more than just racial bigotry it's just the others aren't "hip" or "in vogue" to bit#h about right now.

Baloney! Nowhere in what was written can it be construed by an intelligent and intellectually honest person that a claim was made or implied that every white person is a racist. That is a common tactic of those who, for some reason, want to discredit the existence of white in some whites. They do it by using the straw man and implying that a claim is being made that "everrrrrrry" white person is racist.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:33 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
I’m sure it’s true but

1. Why is it only blacks and not other races as much if it is racism?

2. Black people are racist also against other races and against darker skin blacks.

3. Statistically blacks commit the most crimes and black neighborhoods are the most dangerous, therefore blacks are going To be more likely to have the cops called on them.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Baloney! Nowhere in what was written can it be construed by an intelligent and intellectually honest person that a claim was made or implied that every white person is a racist. That is a common tactic of those who, for some reason, want to discredit the existence of white in some whites. They do it by using the straw man and implying that a claim is being made that "everrrrrrry" white person is racist.
Try reading the "who" I responded to. it certainly wasn't you as I'm fully aware where you Fall on the subject and wouldn't waste my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies