Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2018, 10:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Agreed completely.

There are rules that everybody knows can be flexible with and there are rules that are fully enforced all the time. Take traffic laws for example. Most people drive above the speed limit. As long as you stay 10 mph above, you should be fine.

I'm a former cop. While I was still a state trooper, I saw on many occasions other cops that pulled suspicious people over for going 3 above the limit. Everybody knows the going 3 above reason was just an excuse for something else.
If you stay above 10 mph above the speed limit, you're asking for a ticket. I drive down an interstate weekly where the state troopers are parked in the median of the freeway clocking every car that passes so they can ticket one speeking. If never fails that they are busy with a car pulled over it.

Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 PM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
True. I will do my best in this society.

As for the boy delivering papers, one would think he would be lauded and respected for working hard and delivering papers, not having the police called on him.

I also checked out the place where the police were called. Upper Arlington, OH. Blacks are 0.8% of that town's population.

He had delivered them to the wrong houses and was going back to the porches to retrieve them which could legitimately be seen as suspicious behavior. The police said they often go out to check when people think there is something suspicious. It’s not always about race.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news/local...ivering-papers

Old 07-15-2018, 12:33 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
If you stay above 10 mph above the speed limit, you're asking for a ticket. I drive down an interstate weekly where the state troopers are parked in the median of the freeway clocking every car that passes so they can ticket one speeking. If never fails that they are busy with a car pulled over it.
Typo on my part. Should have been under 10mph above limit.

Typing with phone can sometimes make me miss a word or two.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:43 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
This should be a sticky considering how often we read of these things.

Latest incident, who wants to bet the lady raised a hissy fit prior to the cops being called:

Coupon dispute prompts white CVS manager to call police on black woman: report

Quote:
“So, THIS just happened: I had the police called on me for attempting to use a coupon @ the CVS Pharmacy located at 6150 N. Broadway in Chicago!” Hudson wrote.

Hudson wrote late Saturday that Facebook deleted the post because it "violated their policies."

Video of the incident captured by Hudson shows the CVS manager visibly shaken as he speaks with police. The manager identified himself as Morry Matson.

While on the phone with police, Matson describes Hudson as “African-American,” to which she responds, “Black. No, I’m not African-American, I’m black. Black isn’t a bad word.”

Three officers responded to Matson’s call, the Chicago Sun-Times reported, citing Hudson’s post. She reportedly spoke with the officers before leaving the store.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Which came first, the belief/stereotype and self fulfilling prophecy or the facts? Here is the FACTS. Most people will NEVER meet enough people of another race to make a generalized statement about the behavior of that race. It's at best a sampling error, as the sample of your personal experiences are too small to say to be representative of the whole. At worst its racism/prejudice.

One thing is clear. If you are treating people based upon stereotypes.....you are self reinforcing the good or bad behavior of the stereotype. In other words, you are exacerbating the condition, if ever true, or creating it if previously not true.
Just an observation.
You do realize the irony of your statement?<bold> You have done the same exact thing throughout this thread.

Humans stereotype or classify others based on several factors not the least of which is personal experience. Bigotry, which in the end is what has most been talked about in this thread is learned. To use your example if in school a white kid is intimidated by another (let's use a black kid like you described) enough times said kid is going to fear those kids and gain a bigotry against them.
So, how do we fix this? Do we brow beat and punish the white kid or change the behavior that started the whole mess?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Latest incident, who wants to bet the lady raised a hissy fit prior to the cops being called:

I think this type of stuff happens regularly......now its just "trending" in the media. Every now and then different type of stories "trend", creates viral videos and the media picks up on it for ratings. Pretty soon the "trend" will peter out and whites will be able to go on calling the police on blacks without anyone noting it.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:10 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:

Yeah right. Let’s hear the full story. The REAL story. Why is the story so non descriptive. Were only hearing one version and who knows if the information is credible.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:51 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,363,005 times
Quote:

Not surprised to see there is more to the story.

When I pulled out my phone to document what happened and exactly what he’d said to me (AND how he’d said it!) he turned his back and walked away from me."

Hudson told the outlet that she followed the manager who had walked away from her.

Then, she told Block Club Chicago, Matson told her that she “better leave because [he] called the police.”

She said that she remained calm and did not use curse words in her reaction with the employees.

“I was not yelling, I did not raise my voice, I did not use profanity, I did not call anyone outside of their name — other than not accepting, basically, ‘*********,’ that was my offense, if you will,” she told Block Club Chicago.

Pretty funny how the time she claims she took out her phone and started filming is long before the time her clip starts. She edited out the part where she claims she wasnt yelling and was calm.
The manager didnt call to report a fraudulent coupon he called to report an assault.
So we have a clip missing an entire sequence which was key to the event. (If she was calm and not yelling why was he shaking?)
Then we have the clip being fraudulently being described by her and the media as the cops were called merely because she tried to use the coupon. Thats a lie, the police record states the manager reported an assault. Her own description suggests the possibility of assault. The manager tried walking away but she followed him and said "I refused to accept *********".
What does "refuse to accept" mean? No doubt she harassed the manager. Whether she was calm or not that will get you booted from most businesses.

It seems almost every one of these "cops called on blacks" videos has its own self rebuttal if you pay attention to the details.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:55 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Calling cops over nothing

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Mp5qXA3zx8oeDV1g9

Old 07-15-2018, 06:13 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm east Asian descent. Never been called police on. I have lived in several whiter than white neighborhoods.
Have you had a hard time getting dates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies