Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 07:11 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times

Advertisements

I go to that sub. It's very active. Right now there are almost 50,0000 people on there. I doubt the mods give that much attention to one comment. You said something that could be taken the wrong way. It was probably reported and removed without much thought. Somehow you've managed to create a whole narrative out of it. I think you are reading to much into it.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:15 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I go to that sub. It's very active. Right now there are almost 50,0000 people on there. I doubt the mods give that much attention to one comment. You said something that could be taken the wrong way. It was probably reported and removed without much thought. Somehow you've managed to create a whole narrative out of it. I think you are reading to much into it.
Maybe you're right. I've tried reaching out to them, and they've been generally receptive the last few months. They told me to wait three months to revisit the issue, and that's where we're at today. I sent a message a couple days ago, and haven't heard back on a final decision to overturn the ban. Hopefully some news next week.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:17 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,261,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Maybe you're right. I've tried reaching out to them, and they've been generally receptive the last few months. They told me to wait three months to revisit the issue, and that's where we're at today. I sent a message a couple days ago, and haven't heard back on a final decision to overturn the ban. Hopefully some news next week.
I'm sure they have a big troll problem and are quick on the ban trigger.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,418,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So much cry-babying on the left about this administration is mind-boggling.
Whilst the far right bemoans the loss of "civility," which is basically the same thing the left is castigated for prioritizing, and it's dubbed "PC whining" and those who call for it, SJWs, when that's the side that's calling for "civility."

The psychology of casting something in a totally different light when the "side" or "team" you're on is affected by it is always interesting.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:34 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,725,154 times
Since I'm not a politician or in entertainment I ignore PC. I say and think what I want. The sheep mentality is what keeps PC going.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,611,008 times
I think the general sensitivity of most forums discourages a lot of discourse and eventually just leads to disinterest. As a random example, the negativity on the leading Star Wars forum eventually made me grow tired of frequenting a place where people are just so toxic but it wasn’t because of the toxic attitudes so much as that I wasn’t even free to call them out on it. A guy said he didn’t even see Solo in a thread titled “How many times have you seen Solo?” And he stood on some soap box about how it sucks despite not seeing it. Another fan calls him out simply by asking a legitimate question, “How can you call yourself a fan if you won’t even give a new movie any chance at all by at least watching it?” A moderator comes in and censors this dude, “Enough! We will have no debate about who is and who isn’t a fan.” Oh yes, we will! We will absolutely have that debate. I decided enough was enough for me, too, and called out the mod for abusing their position when the correct response would be to censor the troll who comes into a Star Wars forum and into a thread saying he hasn’t seen the movie when the specific topic of the thread was how many times?! It’s bad moderating and intolerable to me. Of course I defined the word “fan” and pointed out you’re simply not a fan of something you don’t actually like by definition of the word fan, short for fanatic as people forget. Of course I was prevented from posting for a few weeks and that’s fine as I won’t be returning. My 19 years on that forum are up. Let the trolls have it.

I’ve seem this same type of complete lockdown on free speech everywhere, basically under the guise of “free speech is only protected in public and this is private!” You are correct, that is true, but don’t you think something as valuable as free speech should be applied as many places as it makes sense to do so? What is the virtue of preventing speech with which you disagree simply because you’re not legally bound to allow it? I can see the value of preventing flame wars and personal attacks and all of that, but people expressing a legitimate even if absurd opinion should be free to do so and debate their points. It makes society better and stronger.

I worry that we have gotten to a point where nobody could possibly be advised to express their true opinions except to very close friends because they could haunt you forever, unless of course your opinions are the same as the direction the wind is blowing. If I ever make it as a big filmmaker I won’t ever talk politics or religion or any of that. I’d rather have people think I agree with them no matter what they think, the left can claim me, the right can claim me, that’s fine, the truth won’t be on either side of these extremes.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:35 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,470,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I worry that we have gotten to a point where nobody could possibly be advised to express their true opinions except to very close friends because they could haunt you forever, unless of course your opinions are the same as the direction the wind is blowing. If I ever make it as a big filmmaker I won’t ever talk politics or religion or any of that. I’d rather have people think I agree with them no matter what they think, the left can claim me, the right can claim me, that’s fine, the truth won’t be on either side of these extremes.
I agree. We live in a very tribal, silo'd society. As a moderate, I often find myself "not at home" when it comes to having an opinion.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
The PC censorship and SJWing has gotten out of hand IMO...

You may have been censored by a "bot", or algorithm and not by a human.

Recently the Declaration of Independence was flagged as Hate Speech by one of FB's bots. (Not sure if that made the general-interest or Left Wing news but it was featured big time on Right Wing news sites)

Welcome to the Future.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:58 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Thanks, CarolinaMoon1.

And like I said, I acknowledge that my comment that was deleted was low-effort, and without much thought. They could have deleted it just for that alone, and I'd be content. But for them to tell me what my intentions were, what I was feeling when I typed the comment, to dictate the kind of person I truly am deep inside...well, that is insulting to me. I won't even kill a spider, let alone wish death upon someone willy nilly. On the other hand, if they did something awful, and that is what the crime warrants under our laws, then I may feel otherwise, just as the prosecutor who tries them and the jury that convicts them does. Are they also death advocates?
I think it’s a difficult job moderating forums, and there are many many infractions today. I think sometimes it just makes it easier when there are so many, to just make a zero tolerance policy. I myself have reported threads here where people were told to kill themselves. There is also context. Someone making a comment about death or treason on the politics for makes sense. However if I see it on the form it does not belong on I’m going to report it as being a political thread on a non-political forum.

So far hear you’re still allowed to just say that people should be killed.It’s on many threads. Accidentally locked your child in the car? They should just lock him in the car and kill him too. Problem with the drug addicted homeless? Just shoot them all.

Does get tiresome and doesn’t really contribute much to debate. But in any case you have a right to say it here.
Read it however is a much much bigger site then this one is. I can’t even imagine how many complaints they get and reports. Again I just think sometimes it they just make a zero tolerance policy because it’s the easiest way to manage the forums. Otherwise the thing one person gets an infraction for, he can turn around and compliant “ well Jim 360 said such and such and that’s pretty much the same as what I said “

I’ve gotten infractions on here for “attacks” on someone. I’ve never thought they were deserved as I never name call or things like that, but I just accept it. It is what it is. If someone didn’t complain I would not have gotten the infraction.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:20 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,382,291 times
It's a logical consequence of a rule "If you have nothing good to say, better say nothing at all!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.