Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 05:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,848,961 times

Advertisements

This editorial in the NYT is really interesting - analyzing how men in therapy have reacted post-#metoo.

Quote:
The fear of being emasculated leads men to rationalize awful behavior. This kind of toxic shame is in direct contradiction with the healthy shame that we all need to feel in order to acknowledge mistakes and take responsibility.

Very often, I have found, men’s difficulties with women are rooted in their boyhood. With the medical resident, for example, underneath the constant pursuit of women were painful memories that led him to believe that he was unacceptable in his father’s eyes. A 42-year-old entrepreneur who came to see me because of his serial cheating and lying described his motivations as if he were still a 15-year-old boy craving the approval of his peers: “I actually don’t even like the sex that much, but there’s something satisfying about adding a notch in the belt. I imagine other guys would be impressed if they knew.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/o...sculinity.html

I hadn't thought about how men may also be replaying and rethinking their interactions with women in the past when stories like Weinstein and Ansari came out.

Some may not even have the language to explain it.

It is clear, especially here in this forum, that some men see women as conquests and not partners. And the shapes their approach, interactions and relationship health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 05:48 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
In terms of the topic of the article, how men are reacting in therapy after the #metoo movement,
I like that he distinguishes between "toxic shame" and "healthy shame."

In terms of what we see so often from men who come here to complain CD about not being able to connect with women, I thought this quote about one man's bad dating experiences resonated:

"He was focused on tuning out his own discomfort and was unaware of the feelings of the woman in front of him...."

Old 07-06-2018, 05:53 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,345,853 times
Yeah, that was a very interesting point:

Quote:
He eventually acknowledged that he had been so focused on performing for dates that he wasn’t really connecting to them, unable to accurately read his date’s reactions.
Something that's come up in real life, but not so much in the article is that some guys I've talked to seem more upset that women are rocking the boat asking for justice or even just acknowledgement of their experiences, than that men have done and said things to put women in that position. It was easier for them when women kept quiet and they didn't have to reflect on their own behavior.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-06-2018 at 06:03 PM..

Old 07-06-2018, 05:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,745,957 times
I'm sure the article was written by women or soy boys and is completely off the mark.

Old 07-06-2018, 05:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,472,381 times
Just wish we all can view each other as equals and treat each other with respect. Tired of all these hashtags.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM

102,179 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, that was a very interesting point:

Something that's come up in real life, but not so much in the article is that some guys I've talked to seem more upset that women are rocking the boat asking for justice or even just acknowledgement of their experiences, than that men have done and said things to put women in that position. It was easier for them when women kept quiet and they didn't have to reflect on their own behavior.
This. Oddly, they're resisting developing empathy. It's pretty alarming, really. It means that there's a significant percentage of men who go into dating and relationships without any empathy for their partners.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:31 PM

102,179 posts, read 107,754,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm sure the article was written by women or soy boys and is completely off the mark.
The article was written about the concerns men have begun to express to therapists, and a new trend among men to reflect upon their own past harmful behavior toward women. Actually, some male therapists have been concerned for decades about their male clients' lack of ability to connect emotionally with women, and show concern for their well-being. I guess they never felt the need to bring their observations into the public domain for discussion, before. We may be hearing from them in the not-too-distant future, though.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:35 PM
RJ_

743 posts, read 392,046 times
I had to research #metoo a little bit. It seems like it's mostly celebrities who are caught up in this. Which would minimize the implication that it's a male problem rather than just a rich, famous male problem. I don't think it's any secret that rich, famous people are used to getting what they want. Therefore telling them "no" would result in a stronger reaction, like harassment or assault. Maybe what I'm suggesting is that this is less a western culture problem and more a lifestyles of the rich and famous problem.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:40 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,345,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I had to research #metoo a little bit. It seems like it's mostly celebrities who are caught up in this. Which would minimize the implication that it's a male problem rather than just a rich, famous male problem. I don't think it's any secret that rich, famous people are used to getting what they want. Therefore telling them "no" would result in a stronger reaction, like harassment or assault. Maybe what I'm suggesting is that this is less a western culture problem and more a lifestyles of the rich and famous problem.
Except that it's not. #metoo was brought to the forefront by the behavior of people like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby and Louis CK and Al Franken, but it spread because women in all lines of work, not just entertainment, felt empowered to say, "yes, this happened to me, too." This happens in academia, medicine, business, law, retail, politics, etc. Sexual entitlement goes beyond the rich. That's why it's so big--if you asked the women just on this forum to describe a time when they were sexually harassed or assaulted or discriminated against, most of us would have a story.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,886,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
It seems like it's mostly celebrities who are caught up in this.
"Caught up" in this"?? You mean those who are accused?

It makes sense that Google-able results would show mostly celebrities who were accused over "average joes," and that media outlets might hesitate to name "average joes" who have been accused (but not tried and convicted) of crimes.

There are testimonials out there from women who discuss being assaulted by "no-names."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies