Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Some people can be really stupid and now we are seeing people that are becoming fearful of things that they don't know much about and I blame the media and politicians for creating this fear.
Its also a problem that people are judging based on a media tabloid racial angle. Would this ever have been a story if the employee was black and the guests were white?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 09:02 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Before I go through this - just a disclaimer. I am black and dislike racism regardless of its source. But I am also super objective in how I deal with life (on a Judge Judy level), and I have a daughter. I also dislike a bunch of chaos and disorder. So that's the filter I use when taking in this story. And I am bringing up this take for a rational discussion.

I went to the source article on this.

Family says Subway employee called police on them because of race

This is the claim.

A family of seven, on their way back from vacation, told Channel 2 Action News they had stopped at a Subway in Coweta County on Monday to eat dinner when things took an unexpected turn.

The members of the Dobson family said an employee called police on them, and they think it’s a case of racism.

They are assuming what the employee is thinking.

The employee says...

The family was at the restaurant for about an hour when a Subway employee made an urgent 911 call.

"I need somebody to come through here please, ASAP. Now," the employee said. "There's about eight people in a van, and they've been in the store for about an hour. They keep going back and forth to the bathrooms by my back door."

A Newnan police officer showed up. The Dobsons said the officer apologized and told them the employee had said she was suspicious of the family and that she has been robbed before and thought they would rob her.

I am just going off of what is reported. The racial angle is assumed by the family. It's not reflected in the story at all. But that's how it's reported.

So I ask - right, wrong, or indifferent - if the employee fears she was under a threat, what should she do? Ignore it? Should you disregard your own instincts? If it was my daughter and she felt scared in a situation, I would tell her to call the cops as well.

So it seems like this whole story is based on an assumption of what someone else was thinking - in that the call to police was made on a racial basis..

The other question I ask is here...

Channel 2 Action News obtained the 911 call...

How did they even know about the call? Did someone contact them? Are they monitoring 911 calls? That's just a curiosity for me.
News organizations monitor police frequencies which is probabaly how they found out.

As to the rest of your statement, you’re right that it’s hard to tell what’s on the mind of a single individual. However culturally the weight of evidence as these kinds of things occur over and over, would point towards racism. You can’t seriously look at each incident and ignore the trend.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckleberry3911948 View Post
many on this thread think taking free drinks at a fast food is not stealing —lots of parents “graze” their kids at the supermarket —they don’t think it’s stealing
there is a fundamental difference in thinking here about what is theft
qft

Old 07-07-2018, 09:05 AM

5,859 posts, read 3,297,105 times
Just another post about the victimization of blacks. With all these posts you would think that there are millions of these things happening daily. The fact is that they are not. Yes there are idiots in every race. However I contend they are not as prevalent as all these posters would like to claim!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
News organizations monitor police frequencies which is probabaly how they found out.

As to the rest of your statement, you’re right that it’s hard to tell what’s on the mind of a single individual. However culturally the weight of evidence as these kinds of things occur over and over, would point towards racism. You can’t seriously look at each incident nd ignore the trend.
That's the problem.

You no longer decide matters on a case by case basis, but you lump it in with everything else and make a judgment.

Truth is useless here. This is how people get thrown in jail when they are innocent.

This is precisely the thinking that says - you know, black men commit crimes pretty frequently, therefore when a black man looks suspicious, he is guilty - based on what you say is the "cultural weight of evidence". Do you see how it works?

Maybe the employee was using the "cultural weight of evidence" in assessing the situation and felt she needed to call the police.

It is a vicious circle which is built on perception and not truth and reality. Congrats for allowing yourself to get sucked in to the circle.

The truth needs to be sought in every situation.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-07-2018 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-07-2018, 09:12 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Many on this thread think taking free drinks at a fast food is not stealing —lots of parents “graze” their kids at the supermarket —they don’t think it’s stealing
There is a fundamental difference in thinking here about what is theft
Of course it's stealing, it's not a 911 emergency however. Filling soda in water cups happens every day. The employees should be taught how the company prefers to deal with it. I doubt that includes calling 911 multiple times per day.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Racism is all the democrats have left, so they drum it up wherever they can. Dividing the country and making Americans hate each other is the only strategy they've had any success with in recent years, so they want us to hate each other as much as possible. Women hating men, straights hating gays, blacks hating whites, atheists and muslims hating Christians, illegal immigrants being shoved down everyone's throats. They thrive on hate. The live for it and it's the only thing lately that makes them grow. Every time a democrat wins an election, hate has won. Every time they lose an election, they need more hate so they can maybe win the next one. It's not healthy.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:21 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,221,776 times
What a biased thread title and race bait article. The employee called the cops because he/she thought the family was stealing and for their bad behavior, not because they were black.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I used to fill water glass up with soda pop too, but geeze didn’t think it that big a deal
So you, like the people in this story, stole from the business? You must be so proud.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:25 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
What a biased thread title and race bait article. The employee called the cops because he/she thought the family was stealing and for their bad behavior, not because they were black.
You have to remember that in this day and age, expecting black families to not steal and to obey the law, is considered "racist". They are using the race card once again to deflect any accountability or responsibility and get away with behavior that is unacceptable for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies