Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 02:14 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There must be some reason why they oppose reducing abortions. Could it be that they prefer keeping that card so they can pull it on elections years?

"“First of all, these people are anti-abortion, which means they’re anti-woman. If these people were actually pro-life, they would be fighting hard for healthcare, childcare, gun control, education and protecting the environment. But these anti-abortion people do not care about life, they just care about birth. Like, they think that’s the only place you can watch a woman **** on a table.”"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:18 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
"“First of all, these people are anti-abortion, which means they’re anti-woman. If these people were actually pro-life, they would be fighting hard for healthcare, childcare, gun control, education and protecting the environment. But these anti-abortion people do not care about life, they just care about birth. Like, they think that’s the only place you can watch a woman **** on a table.”"
What about the 10,000+ publicly funded Family Planning Clinics in the US are you failing to understand? How are such widespread resources "anti-woman?" They are there, in fact, to help women AVOID the need for abortion. Too many women don't use them. Even the women who get abortions could have obtained birth control from the same exact clinics where they get their abortions, eliminating the need for an abortion. But 50% do not.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:18 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Good luck with that. Have you seen the abysmal state of the US public education system?
There you go again with your "everything is impossible" attitude.

I believe the school system is well capable of educating kids about simple issues like the one being discussed.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There you go again with your "everything is impossible" attitude.
Oh, it's possible to fix it. Just get Dems to agree to school vouchers.

Quote:
I believe the school system is well capable of educating kids about simple issues like the one being discussed.
You would think so but they can't even educate kids to grade-level reading and math.

Here's where we are due to that fact:
Quote:
"This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain. The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
"U.S. millennials post 'abysmal' scores in tech, math, thinking ability, and workplace skills test, lag behind foreign peers":
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...foreign-peers/

Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM

977 posts, read 566,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
Comparing gun control with abortion control...sneaky! I'm a Canadian where abortions are legal and guns are controlled (yet somehow we haven't spiralled into anarchy), so I'm not as passionate as the American women posting here because I have nothing to lose. Believe me, I would be marching in the streets if my country's abortion rights were being threatened.

As to the comparison...ehh. I think on a basic level, we all believe people who are born have a greater right to freedoms than "potential" people. That includes, let's say, the sperm men "waste" when they jack off. I mean, every one of those little suckers is a "potential" baby. Every sperm is sacred, am I right fellas? So in the case of abortions, the rights of the mother for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness trump the "potential" baby's. Science tells us a fetus is not a baby yet, and science is better than faith with these sorts of conundrums because it sticks to the provable facts.

Thus, if abortion isn't killing a person, then it isn't the same as guns, which most certainly do kill people, including children who are way more real than that famous clump of cells. As to whether gun control would work in the US...completely honestly, I think you're too far gone for that. However, I'm sure your president will be more than happy to pour money into mental health care and, for that matter, birth control and sex education so both gun violence AND abortions are a relic of the past in no time. Right???
Science tells us no such thing. Science tells us that the fetus is at a different stage of development than a baby at birth. It does not tell us whether the fetus has the same right to life as a baby at birth. That is a value judgment, and hence falls outside the realm of science. It can (and is) debated.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:43 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I can't believe we are still having this argument in 2018. Whether or not a fetus is a "life" isn't the question. The real question is whether the female should have a say in what happens to her body. A fetus' rights don't trump the rights of a woman who is upright and breathing.

An abortion is a medical procedure and any person should have the right to control what happens to his or her body medically.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:54 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default Shooting blanks

Quote:
So we either have controls on both, or free choice on both. Which is it?
There are controls on abortion, contained in Roe v. Wade, the current controlling law - since 1973CE. Read the law, if you want to see what the controls are.

Given the continuing proliferation of handguns, rifles & shotguns in the US - offhand it looks to me like there are very few effective controls on who can who can own a gun @ all.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:01 PM

Default The heart is a lonely hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How about women keeping their legs closed and taking birth control pills, getting their tubes tied, etc.?

"Why do people always blame women"

Why do so many women NEVER want to take responsibility for their OWN actions?

If you do NOT want to gamble on getting pregnant do NOT engage in sex.
There is a whole range of possibilities open to women (& men) who don't want to risk a pregnancy, but want to have sex with a partner. I hardly have to spell this stuff out, & there might be children reading here.

In 2018CE, I'm amused that we're still tiptoeing around sexual relations that apparently must not be named.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Oh, it's possible to fix it. Just get Dems to agree to school vouchers.

Quote:
"U.S. millennials post 'abysmal' scores in tech, math, thinking ability, and workplace skills test, lag behind foreign peers":
And yet somehow we have millennial who are doctors, lawyers, engineers etc

Thank you for your posts Mr "everything is impossible".

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-09-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Directory

Quote:
I have asked this question multiple times, and NO one has answered it:

Women can get contraceptive services/supplies at the exact same Planned Parenthood facilities where they're getting their abortions, or at one of the likely much closer 14,000+ publicly funded (Title X) Family Planning Clinics, nationwide. That would eliminate the need for having so many abortions in the first place, so why don't they do so?
An excellent question. I'm sure Guttmacher Institute has done a study or two on the topic. Try looking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies