Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Eugenics?

Why not just free IUDs for all women of childbearing age and teaching men to use condoms?

Because that IUD would seriously cut the unwanted pregnancy rate. It's more effective than pretty much anything but sterilization.

I would not mind people who have had a larger number of kids (say, more than 3) offered a free tubal ligation or vasectomy.

Not being encouraged to get it, more like being offered it for free.

I would suspect a good many would go for at least that IUD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Suzy_q, thanks for the correction. I didn't correctly recall the number.

The information I posted previously stated:

Each year, about 2% of women aged 15-44 have an abortion; 47% of them have had at least one previous abortion.

Here's the link where I got my information from - since it shows additional information:

Abortion Statistics - Orlando Abortion Clinic

But....whether it's 45% or 47%, it's still ridiculously high and appears that some women are using it as form of birth control.
The implication is that women who were not using contraception in the cycle in which the pregnancy that was aborted was conceived are never users of contraception. That is not necessarily true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Maybe the OP or someone else can explain the "Planned Parenthood Loophole".
There is no "Planned Parenthood Loophole." The OP was trying to advance the same remedies for abortion as for gun control. Since there is a "gun show loophole" he was trying to make a parallel to planned parenthood. But the two are so completely different. Controlling guns in society has cannot be defended or refuted in the same way as controlling reproductive health care. As I mentioned earlier, this is demagoguery: making false claims and false parallels to prove a point.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The poster is conflating removed fetuses with dead fully realized human beings. In other words, intentional irrationality. A fetus that is removed from a woman during abortion is not a human, or even close, and is not a "death". So the figure cited is bogus manipulation.
Sorry, but the unborn IS human. That's a scientific fact. The only argument you have going for you is whether or the unborn are considered persons.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Eugenics?

Why not just free IUDs for all women of childbearing age and teaching men to use condoms?

Because that IUD would seriously cut the unwanted pregnancy rate. It's more effective than pretty much anything but sterilization.

I would not mind people who have had a larger number of kids (say, more than 3) offered a free tubal ligation or vasectomy.

Not being encouraged to get it, more like being offered it for free.

I would suspect a good many would go for at least that IUD.
I meant to answer this before but got distracted and had to leave the computer for a while.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5364035/

"Preference for postabortion LARC [long acting reversible contraception] was high among all three eligibility groups, yet women with access to no-cost LARC were more likely to use and continue these methods. Low-income ineligible women were far more likely to use less effective contraception and become pregnant."

Old 07-11-2018, 07:09 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Midwives are NOT doctors.
You're not reading the post to which you're responding. Or you're not comprehending it. I can't decide.

Where did anyone say midwives were doctors? They're not. I dare you to find where I said they were. But they are medical professionals, trained and licensed, just like nurses, radiologists, EKG technicians, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Many midwives, in fact, are nurses.

Doulas are not medical professionals. They are trained, but they do not deliver babies or provide any medical care.

Quote:
Medical intervention during delivery is to address an immediate issue. It is not a treatment for pregnancy.
The hell it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Walking itself does not involve inherent danger. Pregnancy does. No matter what, at the end of those nine months the woman is going to have to go through a painful, potentially life threatening process. Walking across the street is a BS analogy to that. But you know that already.
Yeah, this willful ignoring of what's printed in black and white is getting tiresome.

Quote:
People who have never been pregnant or gone through delivery don't know what the hell they're talking about when they pretend pregnancy is without risk. Their ignorance is proof that they have no business making these decisions for anyone else.
Heck, I've never been pregnant, either, but I'm smart enough to know that pregnancy, delivery, and post-partum care require medical intervention. Kind of a no-brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
In my case, the cure to the numerous medical complications expected of a full-term pregnancy was an abortion.

Glad to know we're finally on the same page.
Ha!

Quote:
The laundry list of crap that can occur have these things called symptoms. As in: If you are having some kind of SYMPTOM you go to the doctor. Then the doctor will address that SYMPTOM that is cause by a medical condition.

Pregnancy, itself is NOT a medical condition.
Then why does pregnancy cause symptoms, such as high blood pressure, gestational diabetes, pain, swelling, etc. etc. etc.?

Quote:
Ignorance. Yeah, there's a lot of that here.
That's rich.

Quote:
Which means you have nothing left to discuss.
So is that.

Quote:
So how do you dispute a mother of 6 who is prolife? Obviously, according to your standards, she SHOULD be the authority. She knows all about childbirth. So you've changed your mind on abortion now right, because mom of 6 knows all.
If a woman wanted to have 6 kids, that's her choice. Rock on. It also would be her choice if she got pregnant with #7 and wanted to end the pregnancy. But she's only the authority on her body, not on mine or on anyone else's.

Quote:
Ignorance, good gawd. Do you even hear yourself? No, you don't. Not one bit.
LMAO.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 07-11-2018 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice
Ignorance, good gawd. Do you even hear yourself? No, you don't. Not one bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
LMAO.
Yeah, I got a kick out of that as well. Talk about a complete lack of self-awareness. LOL.

Great post, by the way. I owe you a rep point.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
38 states have fetal homicide laws.

I'd say those are rights.

And in all those states, a fetus can be aborted, because it is the rational determination of the people, the legislatures, and the judiciary over time and after a great amount of analysis and consideration that a fetus is not a baby.

Which is really quite obvious to anyone with basic powers of observation and a tiny amount of common sense.

Old 07-12-2018, 12:13 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Sorry, but the unborn IS human. That's a scientific fact. The only argument you have going for you is whether or the unborn are considered persons.
There is no such thing as unborn. A fetus is a collection of cells, it cannot be born, therefore it cannot be considered to be unborn. Also, all cells created and maintained by human organisms are "human", but that says nothing about the ethics of removing those cells. Once we determine that fetal cells are not a human life, but are merely a precursor to potential future human life, it becomes ethically neutral to remove them. And when a reasoning human female decides that she cannot or will not take on the responsibility of creating new life, neutrality turns to positivity by removing those fetal cells that would one day become unwanted life.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:00 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
There is no such thing as unborn. A fetus is a collection of cells, it cannot be born, therefore it cannot be considered to be unborn. Also, all cells created and maintained by human organisms are "human", but that says nothing about the ethics of removing those cells. Once we determine that fetal cells are not a human life, but are merely a precursor to potential future human life, it becomes ethically neutral to remove them. And when a reasoning human female decides that she cannot or will not take on the responsibility of creating new life, neutrality turns to positivity by removing those fetal cells that would one day become unwanted life.
Please provide evidence that the unborn isn't human.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:13 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Pregnancy is not a medical condition. It does not need any intervention.
Neither does a cold, but I am not on a crusade to stop people from consulting their doctors about their mild upper respiratory infections. Who cares?

Also, if I had treated my pregnancies (I've had four; two resulted in live children and two resulted in miscarriage) like a cold, I probably wouldn't be here to tell the tale. I had pregnancy-induced hypertension with my son and I had a lot of bleeding after having my daughter and required intervention for both. In addition, one miscarriage went smoothly, much like a regular period. The other resulted in hemorrhaging which required a hospital visit and a month of treatment by a hematologist to treat the severe anemia that followed. At that point, we cut our losses and decided that we were happy to have two children and would not be risking my health with another pregnancy. If we were to become pregnant at that point, we'd likely have continued with the pregnancy. If I were to become pregnant at my current age, I would choose an abortion, no question; I would not choose to put my body through any of that again.

That is my choice. And I suspect that it will continue to be my choice. I highly doubt the SC is going to revisit Roe v. Wade despite the wet dreams the anti-healthcare, anti-welfare, anti-birth control, anti-anything that can make life easier for the poor "pro-lifers" have over the issue. The women of the country would revolt and abortions would continue anyway.

Last edited by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy; 07-12-2018 at 08:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies