Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,734,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tell me again, why I need you looking out for me?

Maybe I should look out and think for you.

since i am not government, nor am i unable to do things for myself, i dont need you to look out for me, and i am certainly not going to look out for you. if you choose to be stupid, be my guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Point to me if you will, the specific portion of the Constitution which grants the government the power to regulate marriage.

If the Left would realize that it doesn't......then maybe they wouldn't need to spend so much time demanding that LGBT folks be granted the right to get married when the government has no constitutional authority to prevent it.

See if you can grasp the simple concept that you shouldn't have to beg the government to grant you permission to marry someone when they have no legal standing to prevent you from marrying them.

When you get that....then you can move on to the others.

true the federal government cannot regulate marriage, but the STATE governments CAN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,978,062 times
Quote:
Point to me if you will, the specific portion of the Constitution which grants the government the power to regulate marriage.

If the Left would realize that it doesn't......then maybe they wouldn't need to spend so much time demanding that LGBT folks be granted the right to get married when the government has no constitutional authority to prevent it.

See if you can grasp the simple concept that you shouldn't have to beg the government to grant you permission to marry someone when they have no legal standing to prevent you from marrying them.

Tell that to some random woman, who claims to have "married" you and decided to divorce you or inherit your property. With state records and permission we could determine if said woman is actually a wife and entitled to your property or some woman looking to make a buck off of you that never had a relationship with you.

As for rainwater there is an danger that standing water can become a place where mosquitoes can breed which creates a public health problem and so their are regulations regarding standing water. Rain water is also needed to refill ground aquifers.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:29 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,429,091 times
Quote:
1.) Build a house
2.) public locomotion
3.) fish or hunt your food
4.) get married
5.) collect rain water
6.) self medicate
7.) kill yourself

Now repeat after me... I am FREE.
1) have you ever worked for any taxpayer funded agency? federal, city, state, military etc...
2) Have you received, do you receive, or expect to receive any taxpayer funded assistance? ie: Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Unemployment benefits, food stamps, disability, rental assistance, Veterans benefits...etc?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:36 PM

18,410 posts, read 7,042,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
since i am not government, nor am i unable to do things for myself, i dont need you to look out for me, and i am certainly not going to look out for you. if you choose to be stupid, be my guest.

true the federal government cannot regulate marriage, but the STATE governments CAN.

By what authority?

What possible public interest is served by LGBT people having to ask permission from the State in order to get married?

Again......if you didn't blindly accept that the government has the right to dictate your rights, you wouldn't have to beg for it to let you exercise those rights.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:42 PM

18,410 posts, read 7,042,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Tell that to some random woman, who claims to have "married" you and decided to divorce you or inherit your property. With state records and permission we could determine if said woman is actually a wife and entitled to your property or some woman looking to make a buck off of you that never had a relationship with you.

As for rainwater there is an danger that standing water can become a place where mosquitoes can breed which creates a public health problem and so their are regulations regarding standing water. Rain water is also needed to refill ground aquifers.

Just because the State need not grant permission for individuals to marry doesn't mean records can't be kept.

Anyone who wants to file a claim against another person needs to provide proof.

You don't need government to be the sole arbiters of that proof or of marriage.

A license is what you get when the government steals your rights and then sells them back to you.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:07 AM

10,389 posts, read 3,976,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you do realize that there are good reasons for these things right? it wouldnt do to build a house that collapses or burns down around you now would it? as for hunting or fishing, again this is wildlife management, and it is a good thing to make sure game animals are not over harvested.

get married? its as simple as filling out the necessary paper work.

self medicate? are you qualified to get your own prescriptions? do you understand the intricacies of drug interactions? do you know what medications are properly used for high blood pressure? diabetes? etc.

you want to kill yourself? you dont need governent help for that, or have you become a big government guy?

public locomotion? there is no right to drive, so the government can regulate that as they see fit.

collect rainwater? you really need the government to tell you what rain barrel you need? do you know how to decontaminate water?
Anyone who gives up a little bit of freedoms for a false sense of security deserve neither! I have a home that was built before any regulations, and you know what, it has never had damage in any of the hurricanes I've been through, while all these new homes going up around me get destroyed. So stop with the BS that all of these regulations and taxes are there to keep me safe. It's there to keep control of me while the fat cats sitting at city hall get rich!

How many people are dying from approved drugs, but yet the government is dragging their feet on legalizing marijuana?

All this regulating of the right to drive has done nothing to keep bad or illegal drivers off the road.

The rain water is like everything else, government isn't doing it to protect you, but doing it to control you. Look up the raid on Garden of Eden. Heck, Florida a few years back passed a law that all residents must be hooked up to a grid. That went through when some woman built an eco-friendly house that had solar panels, well water and septic tanks to keep her house powered. But the government has to know your every business, even down to how much electricity and water you use.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:09 AM

9,133 posts, read 5,781,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
A country with no government regulation will be like Bangladesh
Just because it's one of the worst s**tholes on earth doesn't mean they don't have regulations.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:15 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,092,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1.) Build a houseGotta make sure it's to standard, and no I don't mean aesthetically, but safe. Sure you may trust yourself, and you may be a great builder, but many others cannot be trusted and if they decide to sell said house and someone gets killed because the original builder didn't know anything about structural integrity, then there's a problem.
2.) public locomotionGotta make sure we have proper safety standards, perhaps you care, but once you become big, who's to say your runner up for you public transit company cares about public safety and just wants to cut corners to make more money?
3.) fish or hunt your foodBack then yeah, but look how many animals have been hunted into extinction. Humans can't be trusted and there was a time where bison were nearly hunted to extinction because people were just shooting them for no reason
4.) get marriedIDK about this one, always figured you just had to register, you don't necessarily need permission, just an agreement with your partner that you want a union, unless I'm missing something
5.) collect rain waterI agree that no one should be told it's illegal to collect what is essentially free, so you got that
6.) self medicateLots of people are dead because they fell for some sham medication/treatment
7.) kill yourselfWell many states are embracing assisted suicide

Now repeat after me... I am FREE.
I'm free to still be happy and not think about a lot of things that do not really affect me.

Old 07-08-2018, 12:20 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,998,055 times
Quote:

If you want the government out of marriage than the government should also quit using marriage as a measurement of legal standing.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:51 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,734,646 times
Quote:
[/b]

By what authority?

What possible public interest is served by LGBT people having to ask permission from the State in order to get married?

Again......if you didn't blindly accept that the government has the right to dictate your rights, you wouldn't have to beg for it to let you exercise those rights.

marriage is NOT a right, it is a privilege, same with driving a car. same with building a house, among many other things. what amazes me is that people out there complain that the government regulates everything too much, except guns. too much regulation on marriage. really? all you need to is fill out a form, and in some states get a blood test. after that you can get married if you like.

you want to drive a car? fine, you need a drives license. for that you fill out a form, take a test to indicate how well you understand the basic rules of the road, and in some cases you take a short skills test, and you et your license if you pass.

you want to build a house? thats fine, there are certain rules you have to follow, like submitting your building plans for approval, since there are certain building codes you have to meet. and you cant just build anywhere you like either, for instance it would be stupid to build in the middle of a dry river bed now wouldnt it?

warhorse may have a home that has stood the test of time, and that is great. homes built back then were done by people with a conscience and an eye towards quality work. today however there are builders that would just slap up anything in a shoddy manner with no regulations. so how would you feel if you bought one of these houses, spending upwards of $100,000 to buy it, only to have it collapse around you in a couple of years, and no one to accept responsibility for the shoddy work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Anyone who gives up a little bit of freedoms for a false sense of security deserve neither! I have a home that was built before any regulations, and you know what, it has never had damage in any of the hurricanes I've been through, while all these new homes going up around me get destroyed. So stop with the BS that all of these regulations and taxes are there to keep me safe. It's there to keep control of me while the fat cats sitting at city hall get rich!

How many people are dying from approved drugs, but yet the government is dragging their feet on legalizing marijuana?

All this regulating of the right to drive has done nothing to keep bad or illegal drivers off the road.

The rain water is like everything else, government isn't doing it to protect you, but doing it to control you. Look up the raid on Garden of Eden. Heck, Florida a few years back passed a law that all residents must be hooked up to a grid. That went through when some woman built an eco-friendly house that had solar panels, well water and septic tanks to keep her house powered. But the government has to know your every business, even down to how much electricity and water you use.

you have to understand that we are a nation of laws. we have certain rights codified in our constitution, but they dont include building you own house, driving a car, or other conveyance, or any of the other things listed in the OP.

you do not have unlimited rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies