Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 03:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I'm still waiting for politicians to advocate for "open borders"

We don't have an open border and nobody is advocating for one.

That is correct - with the exception of a few libertarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Exactly, and you don't want to build a wall, you are for open borders.
Well that's a complete false dichotomy.

Not wanting an expensive, ineffective wall does NOT = open borders. But that is what Trump tells you and so you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 03:39 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,865,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
That is correct - with the exception of a few libertarians.

Well that's a complete false dichotomy.

Not wanting an expensive, ineffective wall does NOT = open borders. But that is what Trump tells you and so you believe.
It's not a dichotomy or false. I was adding to a list of open border thingies democrats support of the quoted poster's. Yes we do need a wall to prevent open borders when we have open borders democrats mandating catch and release and no deportation or preventing illegals from getting jobs, benefits and services.

We also need an EO ending anchor baby citizenship.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:42 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
I keep hearing people talk about "open borders"

to me that means the difference between the states in the USA, the only checkpoint I know of is between Florida/panhandle states for agricultural inspection.

in your opinion what exactly does an "open border" mean?
Unrestricted immigration where anyone who wants to come to America is able to.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:43 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not a dichotomy or false. I was adding to a list of open border thingies democrats support of the quoted poster's. Yes we do need a wall to prevent open borders when we have open borders democrats mandating catch and release and no deportation or preventing illegals from getting jobs, benefits and services.

We also need an EO ending anchor baby citizenship.
You specifically said if a person wasn't for the wall meant that they were for open borders. I pointed out that was completely false.

Old 11-09-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You specifically said if a person wasn't for the wall meant that they were for open borders. I pointed out that was completely false.
Don't tell me what I said, "Exactly (to the poster's list) and..". Do you know what "and" means?

But I am now also saying if you oppose the wall then you are for open borders because we have catch and release and virtually no deportations and resistance to those once they've been released into the country.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:12 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If you want every caravan to enter, if you don't want to enforce the laws on the books, if you want sanctuary cities, if you want legal status for all illegal immigrants, if you say everyone has a right to become an American, etc. How is that not open borders?
I don't want those things. And a majority of Democrats agree with me, despite what Rush et al might tell you.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I don't want those things. And a majority of Democrats agree with me, despite what Rush et al might tell you.
Then why do democrats vote for democrat politicians who impose those policies? Democrats have a long history of deny they support something that their policies clear do support.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:17 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Okay, then what would you like to see done about the migrant caravan? You think that these people should be stopped at the border and turned away, right? And you think that anyone caught living here illegally should be deported, don't you? If not, how are you not for open borders?
I'm not speaking for the poster but what I want to do is stop them and follow the law by looking at those that want refugee status and deciding then I. I want illegals to become legal on the books so they can pay taxes etc. I want employers to quit providing such an enticing reason for them to come. I want our quotas to represent reality not the desires of white Americans for only white people. I love Hispanic culture and I'm not threatened by it. It adds to it doesn't take away.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
I'm not speaking for the poster but what I want to do is stop them and follow the law by looking at those that want refugee status and deciding then I. I want illegals to become legal on the books so they can pay taxes etc. I want employers to quit providing such an enticing reason for them to come. I want our quotas to represent reality not the desires of white Americans for only white people. I love Hispanic culture and I'm not threatened by it. It adds to it doesn't take away.
So move to Latin America and leave Americans unfettered.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
"Open border" is a catch phrase that sucks in tRump's beloved poorly educated, very few of whom have been anywhere near the US/Mexico border.

I can step out my front door and walk at a leisurely pace to the border in less than an hour. I've lived near the border for over half of my long life. I've crossed it hundreds of times.

It's less "open" today than it's ever been.

Crackpot vigilantes are a bigger threat, interfering with Border Patrol operations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies