Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:26 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,906,835 times

Advertisements

I was once a big McCain fan, but he should have retired 10 years ago. We desperately need term limits, send all of those bloodsucking old crows home to their rocking chairs.

Most don't retire until they die of old age because the benefits are too good to give up. We need fresh new people with fresh new ideas, not old dudes who are far past their prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The 17th Amendment should be repealed. The Founders had it right the first time.
So youre fine with the patronage, pay-for-play bribery, and congressional deadlocks on the state level that caused the seventeenth amendment to be supported by 2/3 of both houses of Congress and 3/4the of the 48 states in 1913? This isn't a strawman because this would happen somewhat often... Do your research.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So youre fine with the patronage, pay-for-play bribery, and congressional deadlocks on the state level that caused the seventeenth amendment to be supported by 2/3 of both houses of Congress and 3/4the of the 48 states in 1913? This isn't a strawman because this would happen somewhat often... Do your research.
Happens even WITH the 17th Amendment.

Rod Blagojevich ring a bell for anyone? Imagine if every Senate seat was subject to that each time it was up for election.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
I like McCain, and hate that he is going through this and headed for his deathbed. That said, when you are too ill to perform your duties, you should resign and let someone who can be appointed . It makes no sense to hold on to your seat until death and deprive your constituents of proper representation. I was thinking about this with the SCOTUS vote upcoming . I mean , how many times in a career does a Senator get a chance to vote for a SCOTUS judge? 2 , 3 maybe for most ? And here we set with a razor thin majority for the GOP and one of their needed votes may not be able to make it there to cast a possibly historic vote on the path the country will be taken down for the next decade or 2 . This just makes no sense.

McCain should have done the right thing when it became apparent it was terminal and not far off and resigned and allowed the governor to appoint another GOP to carry on the duties .

McCain is a good man , but he dropped the ball on this decision to hang on until death .

Old 07-10-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Happens even WITH the 17th Amendment.

Rod Blagojevich ring a bell for anyone? Imagine if every Senate seat was subject to that each time it was up for election.
Of course, SOME of this happens regardless but it happened with APPOINTMENTS, NOT elections How was it from 1787 until 1913, APPOINTMENT, NOT election. See any pattern here? Show me an election that has issues with pay-for-play and patronage and I'll concede but your case was Obama's open Senate seat when he became President...

Old 07-11-2018, 08:39 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don’t.

Arizonans don’t need advice from Bama Gumps....the group that brought us Beauregard Sessions in the region of the country that inspired Deliverance.
Ignorant stereotypes of the south Don’t you people get sick of wallowing in your ignorance? Ever been down here? I know you live in AZ but your name suggests some connections to Detroit Michigan. If I were promoting Detroit Michigan I would not be throwing insults at other places considering the fact that Detroit is consistently ranked the worst place in America to be.

That being said that for the first time ever I agree with something you said in a previous post. As a states rights man I agree with you that this is an Arizona issue. It’s thier voice not being heard in Washington. However that does not mean the rest of us don’t have the right to speak on the issue, missing senate members have implications that are national. In the end though it’s an Arizona issue. Prayers for Senator McCain and his family no matter what he decides to do. He is a great American, nothing changes that.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:26 PM

I got a question on the whole "well don't you want someone representing me" question, is it really representing me when I don't agree with the person representing me? That is how I feel with Ward, Arapio or McSally in this Republican primary. None would represent me and my interests so I am voting for Clair Van Stenwyck in the primary and likely Rep. Sinema in the general election in November.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:25 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I got a question on the whole "well don't you want someone representing me" question, is it really representing me when I don't agree with the person representing me? That is how I feel with Ward, Arapio or McSally in this Republican primary. None would represent me and my interests so I am voting for Clair Van Stenwyck in the primary and likely Rep. Sinema in the general election in November.

I don't agree does not mean your state is not represented.

I disagree with my new state senator.....but my state is being represented...

Stop thinking partisn.....

I know I'm an ass here on CD....yet I still agreed with something obama did.....

Old 07-13-2018, 06:43 PM

1,923 posts, read 84,033 times
I am glad Mccain is not dropping out till his death..let the men that is suffering a bunch with this Glioblastoma Tumor die PEACEFUL with dignity and knowing he fought till his death

Old 07-13-2018, 06:50 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
I now live in Arizona, lean to the right, and I say just let nature take its course. I'd do the same for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies