Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

I was rooting secretly for Coney Barrett, but I suppose that Kavanaugh is the safer bet given his more detailed judicial record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:50 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
More paranoia fear-mongering from the Left.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:53 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Based on Kavanaugh's writings on Presidential exposure to legal proceedings, it would appear Trump is attempting to buy a 'get out of jail' card, which I suppose is all he was really interested in accomplishing with this nomination anyway.

Interesting and self defeating angle the left is taking on this. All Trump has to worry about is a majority in congress that are DEMS and have the votes to impeach. The SCOTUS cannot stop that. Kavanaugh is a bit of a wild card that might end up like Kennedy. I suppose any candidate that the far left and far right do not like is probably ok.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-10-2018 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
So Trump picked another conservative white male Christian sycophant. I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
So Trump picked another conservative white male Christian sycophant. I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked.
We're equally "shocked" by your textbook response.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
If nothing else, Judge Kavanaugh has the support of at least one liberal SCOTUS colleague:

From CNN:

Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh, said he's grateful to President Trump for the selection. "Mr. President, I am grateful to you, and I'm humbled by your confidence in me," he said.

He also thanked Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan, who he said hired him as a teacher: "For the past 11 years I've taught hundreds of students primarily at Harvard Law School. I teach that the Constitution's separation of powers protects individual liberty, and I remain grateful to the dean who hired me, Justice Elena Kagan," he said.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:32 PM

312 posts, read 268,342 times
If vulnerable Democrats in Red States that Trump won by 15+ points (West Virginia, Indiana, Missouri, North Dakota, and Montana) vote to confirm Kavanagh, do they still have a chance to win re-election?

In all honesty, I wanted a supreme court nominee that would have forced all 5 senators in those states to vote no, which would have easily assured their defeat. Plus, Bill Nelson in Florida, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Sherrod Brown in Ohio, would most likely lose if they voted no, which I think they will do.

Plus, no votes would save Arizona and Nevada and possibly even put PA in play.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 PM

179 posts, read 83,082 times
Brett Kavanaugh is a Roman Catholic so being against abortion will be a solid position for all Catholics. But this does not tell us if he is a liberal Roman Catholic or a conservative Roman Catholic? I have learned from some digging around online that he is for religious liberty and that is good. But is he in favor for more Muslim refugees or against it? Generally speaking, most conservatives (if not all) strongly oppose Islamic immigration due to the rise of terrorism in Europe which has served as an example as to why conservatives don't want anymore Muslims here. But nobody knows how Kavanaugh will judge on that situation if ever it ends up at the Supreme Court. But we know how he will judge on abortion which I'm totally fine with. After watching that pro-abortion rally and hearing some of the things said by these mentally unhinged women who hate children, I am surprised they have taken their lust this far as to cheer and celebrate abortions as one would celebrate a holiday. That was a sick and disgusting display of callous women who have no love or respect for life in general. I was against abortion before but now after hearing all that I hope abortion is illegalized!

I read alot of posts about Trump choosing Kavanaugh to avoid being impeached. I would call such rhetoric a huge assumption. For one, Trump has not committed any crime to be impeached other than not being a progressive. Justice Kavanaugh would probably rule on what facts there are and seeing that there are no facts it is doubtful Trump will ever be impeached. A President cannot be impeached just because some communist citizens don't like him. The rest of us voted for him to fight communism in America and we will be voting for Trump again and full force of numbers. So all I can say to those here on the left is just get used of Trump for another 6 long drawn out slow moving years because he is your President whether you want to accept that reality or not.

I see Trump as being a great leader for our nation and if liberals actually cared anything about this county they would be changing their view on him. Trump is the decent conservative choice a liberal is ever going to get. Some of you claim Trump is more liberal than the rest of the GOP and that is only true in the classical sense of liberalism which you new liberals have rejected decades ago. But we conservatives voted for him because we actually understand what true conservativism is all about, and Trump was, in fact, the most conservative choice among those 17 Candidates we had to choose from. Trump's only major contender was lying Ted and he lost the election before he finally dropped out. We knew Ted Cruz would lose to Hillary, and we knew Hillary had the primary election in the bag against Sanders. I personally glad Hillary won because Sanders may have been harder to beat (though this is not sure). Hillary was a much better choice for Democrats than Sanders, I'll admit. Sanders is a complete nut job and reminds me too much like Britain's Jeremy Corbyn. So Hillary won and had millions and millions of dollars pumped into her campaign to both assure and secure her victory over Trump. All that money pumped into her campaign and she still lost big. Why? Well the three major issues she lost on in order of importance among conservatives was (1) Islamic Immigation (2) Abortion, and (3) economy. Hillary failed to take the right positions in all three of these issues and therefore many liberals also voted for Trump because (1) they, too, oppose Islamic immigration (2) abortion on the day of delivery sickens even some liberals (3) liberals also want to see a better economy and Hillary just wanted more of the same. We see what Trump has been doing for our economy despite Democrats trying to spot him from improving our lives by bringing in more jobs, and our unemployment rate has been steady at 4% which is better than Obama's steady 8% Hillary wasn't going to change anything economically which is one of the reasons she lost. So liberals need to stop freaking out and foaming from the mouth because she lost fair and square and there have been 5 recounts to confirm that. And no Russian told us to vote for Trump. We conservatives just follow the issues that concern us the most and go from there.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:35 PM

923 posts, read 494,964 times
Lost in all this ahem, discussion: Brett Kavanaugh came from the DC Circuit Court, so President Trump gets to pick his replacement on that court as well.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Trump picked a guy who'd help him stay out of prison. This may be the smartest thing he's done yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies